Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    Complete pond


  2. #27
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    Village Hose with water


  3. #28
    Thailand Expat terp80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    22-01-2020 @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai - Maryland (US)
    Posts
    1,626

    Smile

    Wow. Very nice pond. It looks like I didn't do enough research. What does each chamber do in your filtration system, and what filters are you using other than the plants? Will the Koi only be in the main pond, where the one big, bearded fish appears to be lounging? Do you think my single 750 watt pump for everything will be adequate? What kind of plaster did you use to finish the pool? Sorry for the many questions. Again, beautiful pond you have there pom.

  4. #29
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    terp80
    Filtration chambers. Honestly I am not sure what my final configuration will be ! The plan was to play with alternatives to find an effective system that was easy to clean.
    I had the space so I put in three chambers (two downflow across weirs and one upflow). Originally I intended having only one chamber. This was based on a large koi pond I saw at hotel. In BKK the koi pond (5 fish) has a single filter using pot scourers, which need to be manually cleaned. Then I started reading and it seems you need a Settlement Chamber (see the first chamber (with a small fountain)) and some kind of filter (sand gravel - where vertical flow is though graded gravel then sand - is recommended). These SG filters are usually put in drums outside the pond area and located above water level. This did not suit my layout. I think my arrangement will be: first chamber - bio-balls (small golf-ball sized plastic balls with large surface area, bagged in those plastic bags used in washing machines) I wanted to use brushes (bristles on wire hooks) but so far have not found any. Apparently the bio balls will allow bacteria growth for nitrate removal. Second chamber: a layer of filter material similar to pot scourers which should take out small matter. Should be easy to clean. Third chamber: a bag of sea-shells (not sure why ! but was recommended to condition the water). The system is not up and running yet. I'll let you know how I go.
    Koi will be in the big pond only. Goldfish and others (betta ?) in the upstream area.
    A 750 W pump should be fine. I have two: 0.37 kW running permanently for filtration and a 0.75 kW for the waterfall and flushing. I await the first electricity bill ! (According to my pump calculations the charges should be around B 300 pm.)
    The plaster is something the wife found in Thai Watsadu (suggested by the builder). I was imagining a duck-egg blue. I fear it may have an fungicide, but there is slime already growing on it, and apparently kitty litter (bentonite) is good for removing organic chemicals (and sealing leaks).
    We are heading up this weekend with kitty litter, bio-balls, water hyacinth from my local klong, water lilies, and possibly a bunch of guppies.

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat
    hooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    31-03-2020 @ 01:45 PM
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    1,766
    The bag of sea shells are and will be an alkali (calcium carbonate) and will stop the water trending towards acidic.

    Fish waste/poo over time causes water acidity dependant on stocking levels.

    Looks absolutely great.

    I would invest in water test kits until it gets established.

    1. Amonia test kit.

    2. Nitrite test kit.

    3. PH test kit.

    4. Nitrate test kit.

    Good luck with it.
    Landlubber.

  6. #31
    Thailand Expat
    hooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    31-03-2020 @ 01:45 PM
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    1,766
    ^ I would only do the water testing stuff if you are going to stock it with some hefty size fish.

    Just re-read your post.

    Apologies.

  7. #32
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,695
    That's the dog's bolloks, that is!

    Massive overkill for half a dozen fish, craziness extremous, but bloody impressive nontheless...

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat
    hooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    31-03-2020 @ 01:45 PM
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    1,766
    ^ Agreed.

    I would be sticking a dozen monster koi carp into that plus goldies (not all at once). Then the water chemistry experiments start, I would max it to the limit with fish and as important nitrate loving plants.

    OP have you considered birds taking your stock?

    Them heron looking white egret things will demolish it in one morning.

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat terp80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    22-01-2020 @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai - Maryland (US)
    Posts
    1,626

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by pominasia
    terp80
    Filtration chambers. Honestly I am not sure what my final configuration will be ! The plan was to play with alternatives to find an effective system that was easy to clean.
    I had the space so I put in three chambers (two downflow across weirs and one upflow). Originally I intended having only one chamber. This was based on a large koi pond I saw at hotel. In BKK the koi pond (5 fish) has a single filter using pot scourers, which need to be manually cleaned. Then I started reading and it seems you need a Settlement Chamber (see the first chamber (with a small fountain)) and some kind of filter (sand gravel - where vertical flow is though graded gravel then sand - is recommended). These SG filters are usually put in drums outside the pond area and located above water level. This did not suit my layout. I think my arrangement will be: first chamber - bio-balls (small golf-ball sized plastic balls with large surface area, bagged in those plastic bags used in washing machines) I wanted to use brushes (bristles on wire hooks) but so far have not found any. Apparently the bio balls will allow bacteria growth for nitrate removal. Second chamber: a layer of filter material similar to pot scourers which should take out small matter. Should be easy to clean. Third chamber: a bag of sea-shells (not sure why ! but was recommended to condition the water). The system is not up and running yet. I'll let you know how I go.
    Koi will be in the big pond only. Goldfish and others (betta ?) in the upstream area.
    A 750 W pump should be fine. I have two: 0.37 kW running permanently for filtration and a 0.75 kW for the waterfall and flushing. I await the first electricity bill ! (According to my pump calculations the charges should be around B 300 pm.)
    The plaster is something the wife found in Thai Watsadu (suggested by the builder). I was imagining a duck-egg blue. I fear it may have an fungicide, but there is slime already growing on it, and apparently kitty litter (bentonite) is good for removing organic chemicals (and sealing leaks).
    We are heading up this weekend with kitty litter, bio-balls, water hyacinth from my local klong, water lilies, and possibly a bunch of guppies.
    Thanks pom for all the good info. I'll post what I end up doing on my building blog. I am wondering if there is a better color (for the plaster) to view Koi. Do you, or anybody else, have an opinion or experience with preferred colors? When I say "better," I am not in any way criticizing your blue (I think it looks terrific). I am just wondering if there is an "accepted" best color in the Koi community for viewing Koi. If there is no such thing: OK.

  10. #35
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    Terp80
    re color. Apparently the color favored for displaying koi is the neon blue we l have (accidentally chosen). However serious koi keepers opt for black so that the fungal etc growth on the walls does not show. Have a look at the Koiphen site, They display their favorite "babies" in blue basins.

  11. #36
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    All
    Thanks for the comments on the pond. Apparently the accepted philosophy for koi ponds is: bigger the better. And since there will be only one chance to build a pond, I added all the bells and whistles I could think of. Did you see the rotating ball in the upstream end ?
    re testing. I bought a jacuzzi water test kit in Global - chlorine and pH, and will use the phenol orange test until I get the cement alkali under control. When the koi have settled down I will start on testing ammonia nitrates etc (any idea where to find such kits ?)
    re birds. They say deeper ponds (> 1 m) give the the fish some protection (no wading) and I hope the 30 % hyacinth I plan will give some cover and sun protection. However I will have to watch out for them.

  12. #37
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Posts
    28,872
    Make sure you get some shade over the pond during the hot hours of the day.

    Maybe a retractable green shade cloth apparatus will do the job and where the sunlight is the strongest.

    By the way lovely home you have there for yourself and your fish.

  13. #38
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,695
    Frankly, that fish pond is nicer than my house! I'd live in it...

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat
    hooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    31-03-2020 @ 01:45 PM
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Make sure you get some shade over the pond during the hot hours
    Also the oxygen carrying capacity of water drops as the water temperature increases, so in hotter times run the water fall or get a few bubblers. Fish gasping at the surface is the giveaway. Saying that the pond appears large enough and deep enough to handle the fluctuations.

    As for the test kits any aquarium shop should stock them and I would go for individual kits rather than combo if you can, easier and less confusing.

    Introducing plants from the klong is not a good idea IMHO as you could be introducing all sorts of nasties, there are ways to sterilise using PP potassium permanganate I think, but it is a right chew on.

    I see you have found Koiphen, there is an American guy called Roark on there and a couple of chemists for water issues - you are in the right place.

    Good luck and enjoy, it is a fantastic hobby.

  15. #40
    Thailand Expat terp80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    22-01-2020 @ 02:30 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai - Maryland (US)
    Posts
    1,626

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by pominasia
    Terp80
    re color. Apparently the color favored for displaying koi is the neon blue we l have (accidentally chosen). However serious koi keepers opt for black so that the fungal etc growth on the walls does not show. Have a look at the Koiphen site, They display their favorite "babies" in blue basins.
    Aah thanks pom. Just the kind of thing I was thinking about. Koiphen is a great site. Thanks again!

  16. #41
    cnx37
    Guest
    Pom
    Thanks for the reference. It assisted me re whether to install a fish pond. In Oz, I had swimming pool - decided never again. Decision confirmed. I see that in the South of LOS, swimming pools are extremely popular. In Oz, ask a swimming pool owner - response - never again. Maintenance did not justify the actual usage/enjoyment. Solution - get a friend who has these facilities.
    I like the timber use - but my spouse & family - NO NO! I have seen "Grandma's house" - full of "boark". Obviously, regular pest control was not in place.
    Biggest confidence booster - a successful outcome without my personal day-to-day presence!
    I have known my spouse for 10+years. She is ecstatic re our proposed move - I am "comfortable" - OK, OK!

  17. #42
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    And 7 years later

  18. #43
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    And after 7 years

  19. #44
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    17-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    187
    I need to relearn how to post pictures - please wait !!

  20. #45
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Posts
    6,900
    Just click the 3rd last icon and select a picture from your PC.

  21. #46
    Freelance Astronaut
    Thai Dhupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Location
    Dubai and, err... Thailand
    Posts
    1,876
    Great thread and information - thanks for posting.

    I will be doing a Koi pond to sit outside the dining room window in the future so this information is useful.

    Nice place too - lol... you got it all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •