Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    24-11-2013 @ 12:17 PM
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Aricius Merlinus View Post
    I work and live here in Bangkok full-time. I have a valid work visa and work permit. I don't make tons of money - slightly more than a TEFL hack, but a lot less than an oil rig guy. My office does direct deposit of my salary, but only has such an arrangement with TMB, so I opened an account there when I first started working, and honestly, I have been relatively satisfied. I can do internet banking, I have an ATM card. I have also had a fair amount of money (in the millions of baht) in this TMB account for over a year as a result of transferring some savings to it.

    When I opened the TMB account, the clerk told me that, after having the account for a few months, I could apply for a credit card. I never bothered to do so, since I had a credit card from my bank abroad. However, I would now like to close my account abroad and get a credit card here in Thailand. Today, I went to the exact same branch where I opened my account, pulled out my passport, and asked to apply for a credit card. The clerk's response, without even glancing at my passport or account information, was, "Our bank doesn't issue credit cards to foreigners." I asked, "Even though I was told I could apply for a credit card when I opened my account here? Even though I have a few million baht in your bank? So I can have my money in your bank, but you can't provide me with a standard banking service?" "Yes, that's right", was the reply!

    So I would like to open an account in another bank here in Bangkok:

    - to which I can transfer everything that is currently in the TMB account;
    - to which I can arrange for TMB to transfer my salary as soon as my company deposits it each month;
    - that provides internet banking;
    - that will give me a debit/ATM card (I assume all of the above will be no problem, but the one below might be); and
    - that offers a real unsecured credit card with a modestly decent credit limit for booking flights and such - say USD 5,000 to USD 10,000.

    Any suggestions?
    Looked into opening an account with the TMB some years ago. So much 'double talk' and 'may-by's & if's also expected to sign paperwork in Thai (no English translation available) So basically I simply walked out of the door and never went back. Opened a savings account with Siam Commercial Bank - no hidden clauses - paper work translations available should I require them - debit card accepted at most retailers and airlines no need for credit card as long as bank balance will cover purchase. Never any problem with money exchange from abroad (good rates). One thing that is useful is a letter of authority from the head of the local council office to say you are known and living at a specific address in their area and preferably married to a Thai who owns property.Brian Stocks

  2. #27
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2020 @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    despite what Buttplug says, there is no legal obligation to do so
    as usual, harryb, putting half the story

    yes, each bank can adjust selection criteria from the main BoT guidelines, but to refuse based on nationality is not at the discretion of the bank as long as you have a work permit and have the income. They have no excuse to do so, and you can perfectly apply to another bank or to another branch because you are dealing with a dickhead at one branch. It's not bank policy, it's dickhead policy, something you should know since you are one yourself.
    Read Failsafe's post again, they can pretty well do what they like to safeguard the money they are lending you, and they can refuse to lend it to you if you don't meet their conditions. Again, because you are so fucking thick:

    BANKS CAN REFUSE TO EXTEND RETAIL CREDIT TO ANY CUSTOMER.


    Buttplug I can't take you seriously when you post shit in threads like this. Go and post some more shit in the computer thread, and I'll come along and take the piss later, there's a good lad.
    some mod tard must have deleted my reply to you, again

    Bank policy is not to refuse credit cards to farangs who have a work permit, what's so hard for you to understand that very small detail you completely missed in Failsafe post. Certain credit quality terms have to be there, but that doesn't mean bank policy can refuse your credit card because you are a farang with a work permit. Bank policy is also not to refuse farangs with credit cards because they have a big nose or an ugly face. I hope it clears things for you now.

    and learn to read properly, will you

  3. #28
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    67,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Bank policy is not to refuse credit cards to farangs who have a work permit, what's so hard for you to understand that very small detail you completely missed in Failsafe post. Certain credit quality terms have to be there, but that doesn't mean bank policy can refuse your credit card because you are a farang with a work permit. Bank policy is also not to refuse farangs with credit cards because they have a big nose or an ugly face. I hope it clears things for you now.

    and learn to read properly, will you
    Unfortunately, you're still being a fucking retard.

    Let me remind you what you said:

    "non-sense, if you have a work permit and regular income, they can't refuse to issue you a credit card based on nationality"
    And again, because you're so fucking stupid and you still don't get it:

    They can refuse ANY customer credit if they so decide. They don't have to give you a reason. If you don't like it, you vote with your feet and go to a bank that treats you better.

    GET IT?

    Stop talking so much utter shit, Buttplug, you're starting to sound like socal.



  4. #29
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2020 @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Bank policy is not to refuse credit cards to farangs who have a work permit, what's so hard for you to understand that very small detail you completely missed in Failsafe post. Certain credit quality terms have to be there, but that doesn't mean bank policy can refuse your credit card because you are a farang with a work permit. Bank policy is also not to refuse farangs with credit cards because they have a big nose or an ugly face. I hope it clears things for you now.

    and learn to read properly, will you
    Unfortunately, you're still being a fucking retard.

    Let me remind you what you said:

    "non-sense, if you have a work permit and regular income, they can't refuse to issue you a credit card based on nationality"
    And again, because you're so fucking stupid and you still don't get it:

    They can refuse ANY customer credit if they so decide. They don't have to give you a reason. If you don't like it, you vote with your feet and go to a bank that treats you better.

    GET IT?

    Stop talking so much utter shit, Buttplug, you're starting to sound like socal.


    I understand you are into F1 and XBOX and you have the mind of a teenager, so let me explain it again to you slowly, Xboy

    They can't refuse you for being a foreigner with a work permit, and it's not a valid reason to refuse you for a credit card. Since they are a bank, and not harryb, there is no policy to refuse farangs with official income here, and as long as you fit the credit quality criteria, they will accept you. If some tard at the bank make some stupid claim, like harryb did, that they won't accept your application because you are a foreigner, then you can be sure that it's not a bank policy, but an individual idiot policy, and you can go to another branch to fill that form.

    it's really that simple,

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    67,059
    Oh, hang on a minute, so now we've gone from "they can't refuse you" to "it's not a valid reason to refuse you".

    Well we're making progress, it seems part of the message is getting to one or both of your misfiring brain cells.


  6. #31
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2020 @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Oh, hang on a minute, so now we've gone from "they can't refuse you" to "it's not a valid reason to refuse you".

    Well we're making progress, it seems part of the message is getting to one or both of your misfiring brain cells.

    nope, they still can't refuse you for just being a farang with a work permit, it's not a bank policy.

    I can say it more elequantly with "not a valid reason to refuse you" but the fact remains, you can't be refused a credit card on the ground of being a farang with a work permit. Period.

  7. #32
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Aricius Merlinus
    - that offers a real unsecured credit card with a modestly decent credit limit for booking flights and such - say USD 5,000 to USD 10,000.
    Not easy. Indeed, I'd be surprised if you get this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    non-sense, if you have a work permit and regular income, they can't refuse to issue you a credit card based on nationality
    Untrue. I have discussed this with head office of 2 banks; the literature says that foreigners can, but in reality they want:

    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    Not uncommon in Thailand that foreigners wanting a bit of a higher credit limit has to open a bank account for that amount and deposit the book in the bank.
    Not uncommon, not a bit higher; it's standard with Thai banks. If foreigners want a credit card then they need to cover the limit with a deposit account.
    How do I post these pictures???

  8. #33
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2020 @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    the literature says that foreigners can, but in reality they want
    how do you explain then all those farangs with a work permit who have a credit card without putting massive amount of money into a deposit account

    hint: they are not teaching English

  9. #34
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,640
    I got my first unsecured card from Krungsri before I had an account with them- I was building a house and wanted a HomePro Visa card to get a discount on stuff I would need, and Krungsri was issuing them.

    I submitted six months worth of SCB documents (they were the only bank I was using at the time) and gave some salary information, and they approved a card with a 240K limit with no hassle (other than compiling the paperwork)- they approved another card with the same limit (which I didn't ask for- they just offered it) a year later when I switched my business banking over to them.

    SCB gave me a much bigger run-around before giving me a card (even though I had previously paid off a home loan and had perfect credit with them, and had a fairly large savings account) and (as I mentioned earlier) I had to tell them I would close my account unless they gave me an unsecured card (which I didn't need, but the bank manager annoyed me so I went over his head to prove a point). Since then my relationship with SCB has been great, and it's why I'm still with them, but they were less 'friendly' to me (at the time) than a bank that didn't know me at all.

    Different banks have very different guidelines, it seems.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    HST

  10. #35
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2020 @ 10:26 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    ^ so nobody told you that you couldn't get a credit card because you were a farang with a work permit ? harryxbox will be devastated,

  11. #36
    Member
    Aricius Merlinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    17-06-2020 @ 06:25 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    211
    So, I decided to go with Kasikorn Bank. The conditions for applying for a credit card are clearly set out in English on Kasikorn's website (as compared to TMB's website, where everything about debit cards and credit cards is in Thai only). Yesterday, I took my passport, work permit, and salary payslips to a Kasikorn branch near my office, opened a savings account, got internet banking (to be activated today), received immediately a combination ATM/debit card, and also applied for an unsecured Visa Platinum card, which (according to Kasikorn's website) has a credit limit of 200k baht to 3 million baht. Since my salary is more than 50k baht, I was automatically pre-approved, and the clerk told me that (assuming final approval) my card would be sent to my office in about two weeks. I'll update this thread again regarding the credit card and the limit when/if I get the card.

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    18-08-2014 @ 10:32 AM
    Posts
    101
    I find the large banks like BBL are very cautious, but the second tier banks are much more flexible with Farang. Try BAY or Kiatniakin Bank.

  13. #38
    Member
    Aricius Merlinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    17-06-2020 @ 06:25 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    211
    So here is the short version of the update (skipping two or three extra weeks of rigmarole and unnecessary aggravation due to cluelessness on the part of the bank):

    - I got an unsecured Visa Platinum card.
    - It took not two weeks, but one month, to get the card.
    - It took only one day to activate it after receiving it.
    - It actually works.
    - The credit limit is 200,000 baht.
    - I can use Internet banking to do all of the stuff one would expect to be able to do - check the balance and credit limit, see the card transaction statement, as well as transfer money from my savings account to pay any amounts due.

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    17-12-2019 @ 04:38 AM
    Posts
    36,448
    So, does this mean that Butterfly wins the pissing contest?...


  15. #40
    Member Thaimato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    26-04-2020 @ 07:11 AM
    Location
    In the middle of nowhere, yummie
    Posts
    194
    Nope - he wins the contest, every fuckin time, too

  16. #41
    Member Mojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 09:12 PM
    Location
    Rimthangrotfai
    Posts
    140
    One word for the OP.

    "foreign" or "home country" credit cards when issued in western countries gives you very good security on scams etc. Thai issued cards have effectively none. So if someone copies it and starts using it's you who pay opposed to west where the issuing bank or visa etc takes the hit on your behalf.

    Being paid locally here is an issue and local card is convenient. Two options, put security deposit down with the bank or get one with work permit. Rules quoted above are not much different than say in Singapore what it comes to foreigners.

    Those of you who have thai wife that works and used to work and have a local credit card it is merely a formality to get secondary card issued to your name. For me it took couple of days with Citibank. One thing to remember here is that you get secondary card but the credit limit stays as it is so you share your wife's credit and she is responsible to pay both of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •