Page 5 of 88 FirstFirst 123456789101112131555 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 2176
  1. #101
    Member
    I am Ginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    21-01-2007 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    North Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    379
    Crimson, by Gord Rollo. I've worked with this guy before on two anthologies so I have no doubt this one will be a scorcher.

  2. #102
    befuddled
    danbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    10-08-2008 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Hatty Town
    Posts
    3,451
    Pecked to Death by Ducks - Tim Cahill....Not the Aussie fooballer I assume.

    From the back page blurb - .....'wildest, funniest, and most reckless travel writer working today'.....And it is very good. I do like travel books - not that keen on travelling though.

  3. #103
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    27-11-2006 @ 09:00 AM
    Posts
    2,894
    "With No One As Witness" -- Elizabeth George

  4. #104
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre

    Very funny. It's a bit like reading Frankie's posts. The Author (Pierre) is an Aussie writing about something in Texas who is now British but living in Ireland. It won the Booker Prize in 2003.

  5. #105
    befuddled
    danbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    10-08-2008 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Hatty Town
    Posts
    3,451
    I started Saturday today....The book by Ian McEwan that is, not the day. I'm only 50 pages in, but I've got to say that I think that is spectacularly good. I have no idea why I am enjoying it so much - just can't put my finger on it.....it is just so spellblindingly well-written - clever without being pretentious....If you have never read Enduring Love by the same author then read it tomorrow because it is a masterpiece.
    Back off Margaret, you're on a sugar rush!

  6. #106
    Member
    I am Ginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    21-01-2007 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    North Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    379
    The Yellow Pages. 100 pages in and I still don't have a clue what the plot is.

  7. #107
    befuddled
    danbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    10-08-2008 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Hatty Town
    Posts
    3,451
    ^The Zinc Plating Merchants did 'it'.

  8. #108
    Member
    I am Ginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    21-01-2007 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    North Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    379
    Ahhh...

  9. #109
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    24-12-2018 @ 04:38 PM
    Posts
    1,215
    As I said on another post I have refound the joys of reading books havng read more in the last month than in the last 5 years. I don't know why Thailand put a stop to my reading it just did. Prior to coming here my joys were my music and my books.
    Anyways just glad I am back in the saddle. I am trying to keep it light until it becomes a habit once again.

    Currently reading "Oi Ref" by some Brummie in deference to the World Cup thingy that i am led to believe is taking place at the same time. I bought it several years ago and never picked it up to read before

    As for the book it is about "Love Hate and Football" What more could you ask for?

  10. #110
    befuddled
    danbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    10-08-2008 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Hatty Town
    Posts
    3,451
    The Origin of Virtue by Sophie Elllis Baxter. This is a popular science book which goes about explaining mutually beneficial behaviour. It's not a difficult read but I have to concentrate and quite often find myself unconsciously sticking my tongue out because of thinking so hard. So far it's had some fascinating tales about ants and bees. Did you know that some ants farm aphids; others grow a fungus on fields of prepared dead leaves. Bizarre. It then moved on to a chapter on 'Game Theory' and showed that the 'best' behaviour for 'survival' in many scenarios is to help others in the hope/expectation that the good deed will be reciprocated....The book is by Matt Ridley.

  11. #111
    Member
    I am Ginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    21-01-2007 @ 02:36 AM
    Location
    North Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by danbo
    The Origin of Virtue by Sophie Elllis Baxter. This is a popular science book which goes about explaining mutually beneficial behaviour. It's not a difficult read but I have to concentrate and quite often find myself unconsciously sticking my tongue out because of thinking so hard. So far it's had some fascinating tales about ants and bees. Did you know that some ants farm aphids; others grow a fungus on fields of prepared dead leaves. Bizarre. It then moved on to a chapter on 'Game Theory' and showed that the 'best' behaviour for 'survival' in many scenarios is to help others in the hope/expectation that the good deed will be reciprocated....The book is by Matt Ridley.
    I've gotta get my eyes tested. I thought you'd typed Sophie Ellis Bextor, not Sophie Elllis Baxter.

  12. #112
    befuddled
    danbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    10-08-2008 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Hatty Town
    Posts
    3,451
    I have just started The Impressionist by Hari Kunzru. I picked the book up in a charity shop based on the 4 pages of excellent reviews and so far they seem to be accurate in their praise, e.g. this one from Esquire:

    Grand, sprawling, extravagant, lyrical. A work so vibrant and richly imagined that you can smell the incense.

    It really is rather excellent so far and I will happily refund the money of any posters who buy the book and are dissapointed by it...Well I won't because I'm not in LoS, so ChiangMai Noon will do so in my stead.


    NB: Would one of the wonderful caretakers of TD be kind enough to move this thread to the newly-opened super-duper multi media forum - thanks.

  13. #113
    Member
    endure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    14-11-2010 @ 06:35 PM
    Posts
    216
    'Samurai William' by Giles Milton - the story of William Adams who was shipwrecked in Japan in the 1600s and who opened Japan to English trade. He was the model for James Clavell's 'Shogun'.

  14. #114
    befuddled
    danbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    10-08-2008 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Hatty Town
    Posts
    3,451
    ^I read Nathaniel's Nutmeg by Giles Milton - About the spice trade in the 1500s(?). I thought that it was an example of popular-history at its best.

  15. #115
    Member
    endure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    14-11-2010 @ 06:35 PM
    Posts
    216
    ^ I read Nutmeg too. If you can get hold of Samurai William you'll find it's just as good a read as Nutmeg.

  16. #116
    Newbie
    mangoedout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    16-12-2006 @ 11:51 AM
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Ginger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danbo
    The Origin of Virtue by Sophie Elllis Baxter. This is a popular science book which goes about explaining mutually beneficial behaviour. It's not a difficult read but I have to concentrate and quite often find myself unconsciously sticking my tongue out because of thinking so hard. So far it's had some fascinating tales about ants and bees. Did you know that some ants farm aphids; others grow a fungus on fields of prepared dead leaves. Bizarre. It then moved on to a chapter on 'Game Theory' and showed that the 'best' behaviour for 'survival' in many scenarios is to help others in the hope/expectation that the good deed will be reciprocated....The book is by Matt Ridley.
    I've gotta get my eyes tested. I thought you'd typed Sophie Ellis Bextor, not Sophie Elllis Baxter.

    I've always loved books involving 'Moonface'... was it Enid Blyton? a big round face up in the magic faraway tree... yes, i'm sure it was murder on the dancefloor...

  17. #117
    Dis-member
    Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    09-06-2021 @ 06:31 PM
    Location
    Head Rock
    Posts
    3,507
    I'm reading Spycatcher by Peter Wright. The book Margaret Thatcher tried to ban; more out of embarassment than any suggestion that Wright was giving away secrets I'm sure. The only secret seems to be that MI5 couldn't find its own arse - and continues not to be able to.
    Lord, deliver us from e-mail.

  18. #118
    Member
    Itchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Posts
    827
    I'm reading 'The King Never Smiles', which you can't get in Thailand.

    And I'm also reading Livy's History of Rome

  19. #119
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    27-11-2006 @ 09:00 AM
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy
    I'm reading 'The King Never Smiles', which you can't get in Thailand.
    Care to comment on the contents?

    I'm almost done with "Deception Point" by Dan Brown (DaVinci Code). It's a thriller, but only fair.

  20. #120
    Member
    Wallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    15-10-2009 @ 07:39 PM
    Location
    The Q Continuum
    Posts
    856
    Don't you think Dan Brown is probably the worst writer in the English language? I'd rather read Enid Blyton - more character portrayal and better plots.

    Just finished 'The Closed Circle' by Jonathan Coe, sequel to 'The Rotters Club'. Highly recommended - both brilliant social commentaries, really funny and fantastically written.
    The truth is out there, but then I'm stuck in here.

  21. #121
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    27-11-2006 @ 09:00 AM
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Don't you think Dan Brown is probably the worst writer in the English language?
    He's pretty bad. But, I gotta read what I've got available. Right now I'm digging deep into the old book bag....

  22. #122
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    I'm reading "Seven Ancient Wonders" by Matthew Reilly.

    Hmmm... pretty poor actually, but I shall donate it to one of my students when I've finished.

    Next up will be "Alexander: Child of a Dream" by Valerio Massimo Manfredi.

    Supposedly a very good read. We shall see.

  23. #123
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    11,404

  24. #124
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    11,404
    Still reading this too, but it's kinda boring:

    Britain and the Arabs: a Study of Fifty Years 1908 to 1958
    by Glubb, Lieutenant-General Sir John Bagot

  25. #125
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    05-12-2007 @ 03:50 AM
    Location
    Gropecvnt Lane Bkk
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post
    SK wtf?
    instead you should be reading (in preparation of your new status quo) things like
    "All clothes are not white!"
    or
    "Why 'terra ferma' does not roll 'n' pitch"
    or
    "How to say -fuchoff you c.unt- instead of Aye Aye Sir when ordered to something, anything!"

    fok SK,........ I got a reading list for you that never ends

Page 5 of 88 FirstFirst 123456789101112131555 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •