Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.

Phuket woes to disappear!!!

All the negative knockers and trash talkers its time to repent.

The day of Jet Ski scammers, TUK TUK mafia, you need suit from nepal sir types etc etc is over!!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mystery donor gives B1mn for Phuket's first cricket ground

Anthony Van Blerk (left) and Alan Cooke MBE at this year's T20 Phuket cricket final.

PHUKET: An anonymous benefactor has stepped up to donate one million baht to the development of the Alan Cooke Ground (ACG), Phuket’s first dedicated cricket ground and clubhouse.

Construction of the eagerly anticipated ACG was finally given a green light on May 31. The main financier of the project, Alan Cooke MBE, bought a parcel of land in Thalang specifically for a dedicated cricket facility to benefit the sport’s progression in Phuket.

An announcement sent to all Phuket Cricket Group (PCG) members this week stated: “The [ACG] will receive on request from an anonymous cricket enthusiast a donation of 500,000 baht to upgrade the clubhouse’s standard of finish. On completion of the clubhouse roof, a further donation of 500,000 baht will be made available to develop ground facilities.”

Speaking to the Phuket Gazette, Mr Cooke said, “While recently enjoying a drink one evening, I received a tap on my shoulder. Our now anonymous benefactor suggested this [ACG] was a substantial undertaking for one person and offered assistance.

“All PCG members are giving their time knowledge and expertise freely and at no cost, this becomes a significant multiplier in terms of the benefit that can be derived from this donation. [Architect] Anthony Van Blerk’s contribution has been outstanding to date, with more to come,” Mr Cooke added.

Mr Van Blerk has been instrumental in organizing the architectural plans being drawn up, he explained.

“We have big plans for the ACG. A number of people from the Phuket cricket community have and will be donating a lot of their time towards making the ground a success,” said Mr Van Blerk, PCG’s Honorary Secretary last year.

“In cases like this generous donation: for every baht received, two baht worth of value will be added to the facility,” Mr Van Blerk said.

ACG facilities will primarily focus on cricket, but other facets are being considered such as squash courts and a swimming pool, while other sports including rugby, field hockey and ultimate frisbee may also be played at the grounds.

Gazette Editor
    – Neil Quail
    Phuket,Thailand
    13:24 local time (GMT +7

The British civilization is alive and well! Now Imperial Culture will thrive as elsewhere in the Empire
    Seriously could be a good craic if they allow those not from the elite class in

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing into trouble
    Seriously could be a good craic if they allow those not from the elite class in
    Most teams in the Bangkok league are Indian Thais. I think those Thais who think they're 'elite' stick to golf and ripping people off.

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Can't play golf and I always buy my round, maybe I could qualify. Although standing in the Phuket sun all day sounds like hard work.

Played cricket a couple of times. Can't remember why? That it beer tent open all day.

Last Online
    @
    Great location. Thalang. Should get all the ruperts from the Marinas out for a few overs, what?

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Van Blurt, sounds very South African. Used to running around in mind numbing heat no doubt.

MAybe that is what the rich dude with no sporting sense is investing in. Watering hole that caters for the those expats who need to feel familiar surroundings to enjoy life in the outports. The crack of the leather ball on willow bat, the periodic cry of "good Shot old man" every hour or so!

Each to their own! Wonder if they will have TuK Tuk drivers demanding parking space outside the clubhouse?

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    23-08-2021 @ 06:47 PM
    I think the money would be better spent starting a bar lady croquet league. Buy some skimpy skirts cordon off a section of Bangla.rd at night roll out some fake grass and watch the girls bend over their balls.
    Cricket jeez! Is there a more boring game on the planet?

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl View Post
    I think the money would be better spent starting a bar lady croquet league. Buy some skimpy skirts cordon off a section of Bangla.rd at night roll out some fake grass and watch the girls bend over their balls.
    Cricket jeez! Is there a more boring game on the planet?
    Yes. Rugby.

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    Yes. Rugby.
    Harry stop that!

Your Mother would make you wash your mouth out with Soap!

Thread Information