Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

What Camera To Buy, Suggestions Please

i am selling off my nikon film slr and lenses ( nikon f-80, nikkor 20mm af 1:2.8d, nikkor 50mm af 1:1.8, nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5d if anyone is interested ) and looking to buy a compact digital camera, i dont want another slr.

the camera needs to have a fair degree of manual control, preferably with body mounted controls rather than menu driven, i dont like having to delve into menus when taking a shot, i prefer to twist dials and press buttons. i like to have some say in aperture and shutter speeds and exposure compensation and easy access to those features is important, and it must have a decent zoom range, wide from under 28, to at least 200 telephoto. i dont need raw.

i have a coolpix 8400, a terrific camera with a 24mm wide angle and lots of manual control, but its too slow, with shutter lag that causes me to miss lots of shots, and at 7 years old now its starting

i like the canon g-12 at 20,000b and the new nikon coolpix p7000 at 18000b, lots of manual features and a compact body, but 28mm is the wide angle limit on those two, and i would prefer 24mm.

the only camera that i can find that meets most of my requirements is the panasonic tz-10 at 16000 baht but the manual controls are mainly menu driven, but it seems to have everything else.

any other suitable cameras lurking out there that i should look at ?

Special member
    Last Online
    @
    I've wanted one of these for a while now, could be just what you're after TE?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 review - Digital Camera reviews - TrustedReviews

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    yes, its a well specced camera, with a fast 1.7 lens, but it sells at 33000b here, more than i want to pay, and thats with one fixed focal length lens. i would still need to buy a telephoto.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    I have been using a Panasonic TZ3 for a few years. Very versatile point and shoot. 28mm equivalent wide angle. 10x optical zoom. Nice colours and low noise images I think. Nice Leica lens

The latest update is the TZ10 which includes full manual controls. Should be fun. Doesn't have the bigger sensor or lens mount of the more serious GF1 though.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 Review - Digital Compact Cameras

EDIT....oops just noticed you are looking at the TZ10 already yourself in the OP!

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    i'm a fan of panasonic too
    the lumix fz 45 looks good,
    25mm to 600 , with good lecia lens and lens based stabilizer
    i had an earler version , the zoom was good fun ,
    though the cameras is a bit large to be real compact ,its tiny considering the lens

and feels better to hold ,than some tiny cameras .,

Last Online
    15-07-2021 @ 04:44 PM
    Betwixt Orientals, Occidentals & Accidentals
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking around for something decent but everything has its limitations.

Here's a camera buying guide that I'm using at the mo. It's pretty good and may clarify things a bit.

Buying Guide: Features Search: Digital Photography Review

No, don't thank me. Oh, go on then, if you must.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    sold all my 35mm stuff ( at khlong thom market in bangkok, some good second hand digital cameras and equipment there) been to all the shops and played with all the cameras, but for the time being have decided to stick with my old coolpix 8400, there just isnt a camera on the market at the moment within my budget with such a comprehensive spec as the 8400 .....

the nikon coolpix p 7000, although well featured and a delight to use has some firmware issues according to photo forums and doesnt have a folding screen and the viewfinder is not electronic. the canon g12, also ergonomically good, doesnt have the telephoto range. the panasonic doesnt have enough manual control, well it does but necessitates delving into the menu system too much in order to change settings. i prefer dedicated buttons and dials.

with new models being released so frequently it cant be too long before one comes out that has everything i'm looking for.

Thread Information