Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thailand Expat

Last Online
    27-11-2006 @ 09:00 AM

Do Not Buy This Cr*p

I bought this "quick-drying" wall putty to seal up the hole I made on yesterday's plumbing project; just like shown in the little illustration in the upper left hand corner.

Two hours after I applied this junk it is still nearly liquid and simply flows out of the hole down the wall. I'm going to have to scrape it all out and start over with something that actually works. Even where I used to to fill a gap no wider than three or four millimeters the junk sagged right out.

I see it's made in England. Are all your home repair products this good?

Last Online
    11-12-2016 @ 01:46 AM
    Did you mix it before the application??? some times with putty like this the liquid separates from the putty and flows to the top of the container if it has been sitting on the shelf for awhile

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    I checked the container right through and the consistency is the same from top to bottom. The container itself has been open for nearly three hours now and there is no hint of it ever getting the slightest bit hard....

Last Online
    Sounds like ya got a bad batch then--take it back to the store

Last Online
    @
    I am using the same wall putty and have found it to be one of the best.
    But putty is not intended for filling big holes, for that you should use cement.
    You can use putty however if you fill little, let it dry, fill some more, and so on.
    Otherwise it will take forever until the innermost putty dries.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    I tried that crap once and then threw it away.
    Exactly the same problem

I find grouting powder very good for filling holes and mix it slightly on the dry side to reduce contraction

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    I tried to use this putty to fill a gap between pipe and wall that was about an eighth of an inch wide. It dripped out of that tiny gap as if it were melted butter.

As an experiment I put a thin layer of the stuff on a piece of cardboard and put it in the sun two hours ago. It's still liquid.

Something's wrong.

Knows fok all
    Last Online
    @
    A tip for you Buadhai: Remove an amount from the tub place it on a piece of strong card board have some lunch then go back to the filler should be stronger now if to strong add a little water should then be more workable.

diaw
    Tub says 'Beware of imitation'... I wonder why we should beware?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    What I've done is leave the cover off the container and direct a fan into it. It's slowly hardening up to be usable.

If it's not for filling big holes then why does the label show a guy using a trowel to mash it into a gap that looks at least eight inches wide?

Knows fok all
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by buadhai View Post
    I tried to use this putty to fill a gap between pipe and wall that was about an eighth of an inch wide. It dripped out of that tiny gap as if it were melted butter.

As an experiment I put a thin layer of the stuff on a piece of cardboard and put it in the sun two hours ago. It's still liquid.

Something's wrong.
    Your right some things wrong.
    Can you get the powered type where you add the water yourself?

Khun Marmite
    Last Online
    19-03-2016 @ 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by diaw View Post
    Tub says 'Beware of imitation'... I wonder why we should beware?
    You beat me to it - but I was going to say that it probably IS an imitation.

Or, it's been stored in conditions that have ruined it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    If it's made in the UK (which I still doubt) then its prolly designed for temperatures less than 20 DegC.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    If it's made in the UK (which I still doubt) then its prolly designed for temperatures less than 20 DegC.
    Yes, if it were really made in the UK it would have cost more than 85 baht.

And, if it has been "formulated" in the UK they probably didn't count on 97% humidity....

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by buadhai
    If it's not for filling big holes then why does the label show a guy using a trowel to mash it into a gap that looks at least eight inches wide?
    It dries from outside to in and needs oxygen to do so (get rid of the wet).
    So the outside dries, gets harder and putty inside can´t get rid of the wet.
    It will take days for a thick fill to dry out.

Bosny putty is acrylic and will get very strong once it has dried. So strong that it can be difficult to sand down.
    The "Gypsam" putty, the powder you mix with water is a joke.
    It will fell apart if you apply pressure on it, and water will disolve it.

Somewhere Travelling
    Last Online
    21-10-2012 @ 07:09 PM
    Was it runny or solid when you opened? The ones I've used here in the states are fairly thick like semi-cured concrete.

Maybe someone at the store opened it, took out half of it, and thinned it to make the container look full (a great way to cheat and make more profit).

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    It was more runny than I expected. I guess I was fooled by the pictures on the label and the claim that it is "quick-drying". The tiny bit I put on the eighth inch gap nearly six hours ago is still soft to the touch.

Somewhere Travelling
    Last Online
    I think you either got cheated or got a bad batch (I'm wagering on the cheating part). I used to manage some pizza stores and shortly after hiring a new manager I got complaints about runny sauce. I found him opening the bags of sauce, watering them down, and stretching them so he could take a free bag home now and then. Perhaps you could stealthy return to the same store and check out a few other containers to verify this.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    For a previous and similar plumbing job I used a Thai product called "Unicorn QUIKPUTTY". This stuff is actually quite thick and adhesive out of the can, very sticky and it doesn't sag. Unfortunately, I ran out and couldn't find more on my recent foray to Home Mart.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by surasak
    I think you either got cheated
    If they cheated they did a darn good job of uniformly re-mixing the stuff. Someone with time on their hands, I guess.

Last Online
    @
    High air humidity in Korat at the moment ?
    And the price is not what I remember it to be, I think I pay around 200 baht for the same at Homepro..

Somewhere Travelling
    Last Online
    I've known people who worked at Home Depot (like Home Mart here) to take returned paint and spread it back in with other similar shades to keep from losing the $20 or so on the wasted paint. One of the largest grocery chains in the U.S. got caught reblending expired ground beef in with new to keep from losing money by tossing the old meat. If someone in distribution is doing that to the putty that's an extra 25% profit (could be in the warehouse, anywhere, who knows).

Usually like someone else said if I buy it here it's slightly separated on the top. I don't think I've seen one that I've opened and had it uniform without a slight bit of mixing.

Hard to know, really, maybe just speculation.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Well, I just remembered another hole in the wall that needed plugging. (Yet another in-the-wall plumbing repair.) I used the now much drier stuff (the container's been open seven hours) and it worked more as expected/

So, I must have gotten a batch that was made too runny or one that was watered down with larceny in mind.

Last Online
    being a paint contractor, one of the best hole fillers I have found that works really well on anything except drywall is regular old car body filler. here we call it BONDO coz thats the major manufacturer. works great on every thing, you add the amount of hardener to it so if you are using it on walls you add more hardener so it will dry faster and not DROOP out of the hole. if using it on the floor then use less coz your not worried about it drooping. the manufacturer has even changed the label and name calling it HOME SOLUTIONS PUTTY but it is the same old car bondo body filler that the old timers have been using for years -- give it a try

diaw
    BH, has the goop dried yet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information