Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2021 @ 04:12 AM

A couple of university questions

1. Would I qualify to teach with a Masters, not English but other subjects--Business/Accounting courses.

2. What's the pay range at universities?

Thanks for any info.

Gohills flip-flops wearer
    Last Online
    13-04-2024 @ 11:05 PM
    Depends on the university. The Rajabhats are non to fussy on qualifications and the hours are decent (ie very few). The salary unfortunately reflects this - lucky to scrape 30,000 bht a month including allowances.

Last Online
    24-04-2021 @ 04:26 PM
    If that. I have seen some offer a miserly 21,000 a month.

Last Online
    21-01-2010 @ 03:52 PM
    ^ Plus housing.

Last Online
    24-04-2021 @ 04:26 PM
    If you're lucky.

Last Online
    21-01-2010 @ 03:52 PM
    Nope. 19 and change for work and 8 something housing assuming you find your own off campus. Some schools (raji's) go a bit higher but virtually no one goes lower.

There once upon a time...
    Last Online
    02-08-2014 @ 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Smith View Post
    1. Would I qualify to teach with a Masters, not English but other subjects--Business/Accounting courses.

Thanks for any info.
    I taught at one of the better unis in management with qual of a Master in Commerce. They paid 65,000 pm.

12 contact hours, but they wanted you to be on premises 9-5.

I changed to part-time and taught for 1,500 ph. That worked better, but no hols, etc.

I know of some unis at 90,000 - 120-000 pm.

Key to the salary is that it needs to be in a fee-based programme.

If all govt funded, then the 30,000 - 35,000 being thrown around here is correct.

PM me if you want more info.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Hey torbers, havn't seen you for awhile, how's the teaching internship going?

Last Online
    Not teaching.

Back in finance in Australia. Finished the Grad Dip Ed and may use one day, but not in the next couple of years.

Doing some uni lecturing on the side locally, though. Not much different to lecturing at Thai unis, with 75% Asian students with similarly piss-poor English ability.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Back in the big city then? Did you go to England as planned? Any particular reason you didn't go into teaching? Few jobs available? Aussie students more troublesome? Good opportunity in finance just turned up? Hope all is well.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Thanks for the info. I expect to be begin earning my Masters in Accounting soon and was wondering what it could do for me if I ever decided to return to Thailand. Might be better off getting in with an international company with offices in BKK, though that would entail some amount of luck I think.

Torbek, what do you mean by a fee based program? You meant the hourly pay package? Is that contracted semester to semester?

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    Back in the big city then? Did you go to England as planned? Any particular reason you didn't go into teaching? Few jobs available? Aussie students more troublesome? Good opportunity in finance just turned up? Hope all is well.
    I wouldn't teach in Australia. (Would you?) Money in banking is much better than teaching, even if I do sell my soul daily. Still planning on going to UK. Likely start of 2011. As I doubt finance industry will have picked up, likely to be in education in one form or another. Or I'll just spend a year using UK as a base to travel around Europe then head back to Asia.

Last Online
    Torbek, what do you mean by a fee based program? You meant the hourly pay package? Is that contracted semester to semester?
    I mean where students pay fees for international (English language) uni programmes. These are where there is capacity to pay lecturers higher.

Mahidol is an example.

Last Online
    @
    I heard an interesting story the other day, a guy who lectures on the teaching circuit.

After leaving school at 16 with no qualifications, he built a multi million dollas (Aus) company by the age of 21. After several years he sold it because he just wanted a job and didn't care about money as he had loads.

He couldn't get a job due to his lack of education despite his business track record.

He then went into teaching, the memorable quote being

"Being so poorly educated, the only place I could get a job was in education"

Amused me, and no, there is no agenda to insult teachers here.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Torbek
    I wouldn't teach in Australia. (Would you?)
    I did. I could again if I wanted, but prefer Asia (obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcock
    Amused me, and no, there is no agenda to insult teachers here.
    non-taken. tis a good story.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Torbek View Post

Thanks for any info.
    I taught at one of the better unis in management with qual of a Master in Commerce. They paid 65,000 pm.

I changed to part-time and taught for 1,500 ph. That worked better, but no hols, etc.

If all govt funded, then the 30,000 - 35,000 being thrown around here is correct.

Agree 100% with this post.

Last Online
    02-05-2011 @ 04:04 AM
    Just FYI, got this info from a friend - Prince of Songkla in Pattani just instituted a new pay policy: 14,330 for a master's degree, plus a 10,000 "bonus" incentive (because the area is unstable) and on top of that another 2,500 for the first 6 years, and free accommodation on campus if wanted. This is for ESL.

Last Online
    Do you mean this lot on top of the standard salary, taking the pay to 54k? Still wouldn't do it...

Last Online
    11-05-2013 @ 07:23 PM
    Was offered a job at a govt university the other week for 28,000B a month. I had to ask them to repeat it cos I thought I'd heard wrong. I'd also have needed to provide all the material as they didn't have a syllabus or any of their own books.
    As the others have said, that's the bottom of the range. Top unis would pay 100K plus, but they'd want teaching experience too.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by somtam View Post
    Was offered a job at a govt university the other week for 28,000B a month. I had to ask them to repeat it cos I thought I'd heard wrong. I'd also have needed to provide all the material as they didn't have a syllabus or any of their own books.
    As the others have said, that's the bottom of the range. Top unis would pay 100K plus, but they'd want teaching experience too.
    Not easy to get 100k.

45k at Mahidol (top uni???, medical; yes, English; ?) is standard, but they go through a lot of teachers.

MA/PhD & good experience would better that, but I doubt if any Thai uni would offer 100k basic salary; though you could earn over 70k with extra courses. I've chatted to a couple of blokes over the years who reckoned their take-home was 150k-200k baht per month, but that's long hours seven days a week, and even then I'm not sure I believe 'em (may be possible)...

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    18-02-2017 @ 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by songkla View Post
    Just FYI, got this info from a friend - Prince of Songkla in Pattani just instituted a new pay policy: 14,330 for a master's degree, plus a 10,000 "bonus" incentive (because the area is unstable) and on top of that another 2,500 for the first 6 years, and free accommodation on campus if wanted. This is for ESL.
    This is for EFL, not ESL.

Eight years ago PoS paid 17,000 with an apartment on campus, or no apartment and 6,000 extra. It's a crap gig at any salary. Never met a teacher in my 8 years in Thailand who liked it.

Rajabaht has changed. With extra classes they can earn way over 30K.

With the exception of two maybe three universities in BKK, higher education in Thailand is a joke. Of course so is lower education.

Last Online
    01-04-2011 @ 03:08 PM

Questions Questions Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Torbek View Post

Thanks for any info.

Hi! sorry I am new to this site so I can not use PM yet. I hope you don't mind my questions here.

I really appreciate any information you can give me!!

You posted some very high salaries. I been looking at jobs online and it seems everything was 30K (ajarn.com) I not sure where to start.

I moving to Thailand to Study in a Doctorate Program. I have read all the stuff online But the Uni checks out and I already talked to several schools at home that would let me do a Post Doc fellowship once I finish! with the fellowship no one at home will care where it comes from. And the cost is 10X cheaper then doing it at home and all the professors are western trained PHD. Anyway, I have decided to it and will be moving to Thailand at the end of July.

I am freaking out about finding a Job! I been in Thia many times and stayed in BKK for 6 months but never worked there so I am at a loss.
    But, I do have the basic orientation of the city.

I currently work at a international school in Vietnam where money is nice! But, will land without a job or any idea how to start. I have emailed every University in Thailand and got zero responses.

I have a BA, M.Ed., and almost finished with a MA. I taught as a adjunct instructor for two years in the states. And have been teaching as a Home room teacher abroad.

Will I just need to land and go to every uni? will they have directions to English departments or other Departments in English etc.,

I would really love some advice!!

Thank you again!!

Az

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostone7
    Will I just need to land and go to every uni? will they have directions to English departments or other Departments in English etc.,
    This is an old thread so that's why you may not be getting any responses, I only checked it because I started it. You're probably on the right track about showing up in person to the Unis, if they're like other schools then they would only seriously consider applicants that are already in country.

You've got an M.Ed. so you may want to consider the international schools in Thailand as well, some pay very decently but you will work your ass off (if my friend there is any indication, he makes 115,000 p/mnth but shitloads of paperwork everyday).

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed of the process you went through.

Thread Information