Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 08:22 PM

Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort Pattaya

Pattaya's newest gigantic twin tower 18-story megahotel. Not normally the kind of hotel I frequent, but I thought it would be fun to have a look.

Supposedly it's a 5-star resort, so they charge 5-star prices. 3750 a night was the cheapest rate I could find for their most basic room. Includes breakfast. Normal rack rates for this kind of room is over 9 grand a nite. Good luck with that.

The resort has a kitschy "Lost World" theme that is carried out throughout the resort quite well. Cheesy, but fun.

Nice enough room with a sea-view balcony. Flat screen TV, but no DVD player. Also, no bathtub. Both should be included at this price-point IMO.

The resort's swimming pools and water park areas are the main attraction. Very nice swimming pools. In addition to the main large pool, there is a quiet area infinity pool & a lap pool near the fitness club.

Of course, poolside drink and food prices are outrageous. My GF innocently ordered a bottle of water. 130 baht for a small bottle! Plus 10% service charge and 7% tax.

The water park features, which were not completed yet, featured water slides and a "river" tube float attraction. The tube float includes passing through a cave area and some waterfalls. Not very exciting and interesting, but OK for kids I suppose.

The slides were kinda fun, but as you can see from the photo, very poorly designed. Small landing area and the water is not deep enough, even for kids.

The hotel features a large conference center, several restaurants, niteclubs, etc.

Last Online
    11-09-2013 @ 07:55 PM
    looks good BUT a tad expensive for me.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks Bexar we think alike. I am taking the kids and family down mid October.

I got 3 nights for 9800 for a family deluxe sea view with 4 breakfasts daily. Now negotiating with management to get a family residence room with two bedrooms.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Nice review, well done but 3750 baht for a room with no tub or bath? Crikey! My stay at the Lebua was 3,600 baht included both as well as the room being a suite (seperate bedroom and lounge room.)

https://teakdoor.com/thailand-hotels-...gkok-good.html (Lebua Hotel, Silom road, Bangkok. The good, the bad and the ugly.)
    News is what someone, somewhere is trying to suppress - everything else is just advertising.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    That sort of price it has to have a bath in it

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I just checked the internet site for Centara, and it seems you may have a choice between rain shower bath, and bath tub.
    All 555 elegantly appointed guest rooms & suites offer a unique “Lost World“ theme style decor with a king-sized bed or 2 double beds complete with extensive private furnished balcony or terrace, all overlooking the breathtaking resort gardens and ocean, featuring a minimum size of 42 square meters, individually controlled air-conditioning, spacious private bathroom with extra-deep bathtub and/or heavenly rain shower, flat screen TV with international satellite TV channels/programmes, radio and in-house music, DVD player, in-room safe, mini-bar and refrigerator, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, Wi-Fi and LAN internet access, and IDD line telephone.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    I just checked the internet site for Centara, and it seems you may have a choice between rain shower bath, and bath tub.
    Dude, I stayed there 2 weeks ago, I think I know a little bit about the subject from direct experience. The "choice" you quote from their marketing material is misleading.

You have a choice between staying in the basic "deluxe" room, with shower, or you can pay more for the "premium deluxe" which has a tub.
    Your choice has a price tag. I know because I asked about this specifically when I stayed at the hotel.

BTW, you might want to check around on other travel websites for a better rate. Centara's website prices are again slightly misleading as they don't include the 10% service charge and 7% tax. In other words, add 17% to whatever you see on their website.
    I worked it out and got a better rate at ratestogo.com
    Last edited by Bexar County Stud; 02-10-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Sorry about the confusion bexar. I will get a rate of 9825 for the 3 nights with all taxes included. They have also included 4 breakfasts. Dont think I can beat that as I have looked around. But shall look more.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-04-2024 @ 03:41 PM
    Great review, but I must admit I would have preferred the old Central Wong Amat to be there.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    More PR nonsense then...

Quote Originally Posted by Bexar County Stud
    Flat screen TV, but no DVD player.
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    All 555 elegantly appointed guest rooms & suites offer a unique “Lost World“ theme style decor with a king-sized bed or 2 double beds complete with extensive private furnished balcony or terrace, all overlooking the breathtaking resort gardens and ocean, featuring a minimum size of 42 square meters, individually controlled air-conditioning, spacious private bathroom with extra-deep bathtub and/or heavenly rain shower, flat screen TV with international satellite TV channels/programmes, radio and in-house music, DVD player, in-room safe, mini-bar and refrigerator, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, Wi-Fi and LAN internet access, and IDD line telephone.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    and it seems you may have a choice between rain shower bath, and bath tub.
    or heavenly rain shower
    It seems that you have made up the word Rain Shower Bath, your quote from the web site has no such beast.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster View Post
    More PR nonsense then...

Quote Originally Posted by Bexar County Stud
    Flat screen TV, but no DVD player.
    Some room classes have a DVD player. Not the basic "deluxe" room in which I stayed however. AO was quoting from a general description of the hotel's accomodation.

If you look at the room class descriptions on the hotel's website you will see the breakdowns.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    and it seems you may have a choice between rain shower bath, and bath tub.
    or heavenly rain shower
    It seems that you have made up the word Rain Shower Bath, your quote from the web site has no such beast.
    Attention whore much? Yes, let's make this thread about what you and AO think the hotel website says. Put down the beer and bong, the both of you.
    Tell me more about my stay at the hotel

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    shit I thought I had made my apologies and complemented you on the review and advice. cheers Bexar.

Bexar also explained the wording on promotional material. I gave a hotel overview which is not exactly straight up I now see.

Here is the deluxe family ocean view room. Notice no bath, and no dvd player.

Room Description
    106 Deluxe Family Ocean View rooms accommodate up to 3 adults OR 2 adults and 2 children per room. This spacious room comprises 42 square meters and offers a unique “Lost World“ theme style decor with 2 double beds complete with extensive private furnished balcony or terrace, all overlooking the breathtaking resort gardens and ocean view, featuring individually controlled air-conditioning, spacious private bathroom with heavenly rain shower, flat screen TV with international satellite TV channels/programmes, radio and in-house music, in-room safe, mini-bar and refrigerator, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, Wi-Fi and LAN internet access, and IDD line telephone.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Some more pics.
    Nicely appointed fitness center with jacuzzi whirpools in both male and female locker rooms. Not sure I want to sit in a jacuzzi located in the men's room, amongst all the farts and towel-snapping, however

These little huts are for rent (several of them scattered about). That's right, if you want to enjoy that spot, you have to pay extra. How much, I didn't ask. This will perhaps encourage the obnoxious practice of "booking" pool chairs - you know, those assholes who get up early in the morning to drape towels and paperbacks over poolside chairs so that they can hog them all day.

My curiosity has been satisfied, and I don't see myself returning. Too expensive, and made for mass tourism obviously. Much better deals to be had elsewhere.
    If you're interested, I'd say go check it out now during the soft opening period, before the hoards of Chinese and Russian package tourists take over.
    Last edited by Bexar County Stud; 02-10-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    great Bexar you got my kids chompin at the bit. I really like the overview picture of the gardens and pools. Keep that. In ten years time you will have the contrast photo of all time. I still have old shots of the opening of Disneyland Anaheim.

Last Online
    28-03-2012 @ 03:40 AM
    It seems that Centara always have incredible locations with private beaches

Have a look Sofitel Centara Krabi (Ao Nang), they own the first bay on the way to Railey.

Not an expat
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    The price seems reasonable, at least at the rate you got, Bexar. What would you say about the location? It seems to be a bit out of the way, can you confirm that?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    No its not. Its just at the tip of North Pattaya. The visitor there is probably not going to be on walking street would be my guess.

its great from bangkok. Just at an hour and a half from my house leaving early.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    The price seems reasonable, at least at the rate you got, Bexar. What would you say about the location? It seems to be a bit out of the way, can you confirm that?
    I disagree, I don't think the price is reasonable given the abundance of good, if not great hotel deals in the area. But I was willing to put up with it just for the experience. It was an enjoyable good time, but I don't see myself returning.

I agree with AO, it's not out of the way at all. Tons of other Hotels and restaraunts in this part of town, and in addition I believe that this hotel offered a free shuttle to the new Central Shopping mall on beach road. Got my own transport, so I didn't use it.

Last Online
    28-09-2017 @ 01:00 PM
    I see in your review, Bexar, that there is access to the sea. I haven't been to Pattaya for over ten years. At that time you avoided sea water around Pattaya like the plague! Is it cleaned up now?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post
    I see in your review, Bexar, that there is access to the sea. I haven't been to Pattaya for over ten years. At that time you avoided sea water around Pattaya like the plague! Is it cleaned up now?
    Some people go swimming in it, I wouldn't.

Not an expat
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    If they have a free shuttle service it seems convenient for those without their own transport.

Last Online
    01-08-2013 @ 08:02 AM
    Don't see what's cheesy about this place. Looks quite rustic to me.[

quote=Bexar County Stud;1184686]Pattaya's newest gigantic twin tower 18-story megahotel. Not normally the kind of hotel I frequent, but I thought it would be fun to have a look.

Supposedly it's a 5-star resort, so they charge 5-star prices. 3750 a night was the cheapest rate I could find for their most basic room. Includes breakfast. Normal rack rates for this kind of room is over 9 grand a nite. Good luck with that.

The resort has a kitschy "Lost World" theme that is carried out throughout the resort quite well. Cheesy, but fun.

Nice enough room with a sea-view balcony. Flat screen TV, but no DVD player. Also, no bathtub. Both should be included at this price-point IMO.

The resort's swimming pools and water park areas are the main attraction. Very nice swimming pools. In addition to the main large pool, there is a quiet area infinity pool & a lap pool near the fitness club.

Of course, poolside drink and food prices are outrageous. My GF innocently ordered a bottle of water. 130 baht for a small bottle! Plus 10% service charge and 7% tax.

The water park features, which were not completed yet, featured water slides and a "river" tube float attraction. The tube float includes passing through a cave area and some waterfalls. Not very exciting and interesting, but OK for kids I suppose.

The slides were kinda fun, but as you can see from the photo, very poorly designed. Small landing area and the water is not deep enough, even for kids.

The hotel features a large conference center, several restaurants, niteclubs, etc.
    [/quote]

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    what do you know I emailed them complaining of only getting two breakfasts and paying for a family deluxe seaview. 18 hours later came the reply from a Front of House Manager. " You are right we will provide 4 breakfast vouchers a day, plus one free lunch during your stay". Never hurts to ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information