Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last Online
    16-01-2010 @ 02:30 PM

Motorbike accident on Koh Phangan?

I joined the koh Phangan tattoo club last Friday when I slid my bike round a corner on a dirt track on it's side, cutting my knee and grating my toes and arm along the ground.. ouch!

Seriously, if you're reading this and you're gonna get a bike then take it steady, these roads can't be called roads in some places. I must have met a hundred people with similar injuries and stories of them coming off at some point. It's the biggest industry on the island, rent a bike, crash it, pay for the repair to yourself and the bike- it must make people thousands!

I was litterally thinking as I was going along to visit a waterfall up in the hills on a beatiful day how I was getting the hang of my new 5 speed bike and how I was lucky to come away from the island with only sunburn and coral cuts to my shins and feet, then a corner with massive holes in it threw me off, I was only going about 25kmh too- gutted! The wing mirror snapped off as did the clutch (fuck) and the foot rest and steering bent badly, plus scratches to the side it fell on. Luckily, my mate came out and showed me how to ride the bike with no clutch only using the gears to the nearest garage.

The repair cost a mere 300 Baht, it cost more (1000Baht) to get the bandages and antiseptic cream to fix my leg! Thank fuck for it being so close to the full moon party as the woman at the bike shop was busy selling someone else a bike and didn't notice my injuries or the damage to the bike or the brand new mirror and lever so I didn't get charged a penny- lucky considering some of the tales I've heard about people getting charged thousands for each scratch or each new panel..

But don't let this put you off! It's the best way to get around and see the sights on the island and omg, there are some sights..

Paradise

This road was one of the better ones, I think they don;t fix them because they make too much money of inexperienced falangs like me!

The bike- a real animal:

My injuries later on, looking a lot better with bandages on trust me!
    Last edited by Hydrophonics; 12-05-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Last Online
    31-03-2012 @ 05:56 PM
    Yeah mate, I figure its more a case of when not if as far as the old moto accident. Always a wake up call to me when I hear another story about one. Sometimes you can be lucky, tho for how long is the real question.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by isdatu View Post
    Yeah mate, I figure its more a case of when not if as far as the old moto accident. Always a wake up call to me when I hear another story about one. Sometimes you can be lucky, tho for how long is the real question.
    Yeah it's savage, spoke to one guy who's brother snapped both the bones in his leg when he got on his bike pissed- never walk again, brutal.

សុខសប្បាយ
    Last Online
    11-12-2009 @ 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrophonics
    Yeah it's savage, spoke to one guy who's brother snapped both the bones in his leg when he got on his bike pissed- never walk again, brutal.
    Som nom na.

Last Online
    11-09-2013 @ 07:55 PM
    That road looks fine to me, maybe in rainy season it will be a river BUT whats the rush?? go slow....

Developing Member

Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 12:20 PM
    Were you riding the bike in flip-flops?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 08:22 PM
    Sliding your bike around a corner ain't got nothing to do with luck.
    Call it a learning experience.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    17-02-2012 @ 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexar County Stud
    A bit of trials /enduro training might be usefull. anyway that bike has the correct type of tyres

and as Media+++ asks "riding in flip flops" !!!!!

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    I used to rent motorcycles when I was living in Tong Naipan, the amount of accidents going over that mountain was legendary and a shite load of baht payed out in repairs.

We used to charge the going rate but some of the bastards in Ton sala used to rip the tourist off blind happily with the backing of the cops, the strategy being if you drop it, scratch or damage it you must pay for a new part and you get the foked up bit.

Seems harsh but if one did not adopt this policy your new bikes would be totally foked in a month.

Rode that mountain a thousand times and actually did motorbike taxi for a period, thank fok never had an accident.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexar County Stud

Sliding bikes on gravel is an art, like a car you always correct into the skid/slide and you can power your way thru. but never apply the front brake on a corner unless you are proficient or you will come off big time,

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR2 View Post

Never apply the front brake on a corner unless you are proficient or you will come off big time,

I used to ride a new 125 Honda MTR, brilliant bike For K.P.G with its hills, lack of roads and loose gravel, every time I got on it was scramble time but I had a lot of experience with dirt bikes, it was right up my alley and I loved to ride

Using the front brake was interesting riding the mountain as one really had to know the correct time and amount of pressure to apply but using it in conjunction with the rear was very effective if used correctly.

Many of our customers would come unstuck going up the mountain as they would get half way up and stall the bike through lack of experience or confidence. They where then well fuked as they could not hold the bike on the GRAVEL surface and would simply slide backwards.

We would explane the situation regards riding the mountain but the backpackers new better.

Foking clinic made a killing.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    I used to ride Trials as an Expert in the UK 30 years ago, I think that Trials is a good basis for all bike sports, you learn balance, not only the obvious but balancing Brakes , Throttle and Timing,

It was always fun if riding on the road between sections if applicable, 2 & 1/2 pound pressure in the rear tyre on corners at 50/60 mph felt like there was a hinge in the frame,

Still ride here in Chiang Mai , on a Beta 250, now that,s some bike

Last Online
    Yeah I was wearing flipflops I've gotta admit!

This bike wasn't a proper dirt bike however, the wheels are too small and the centre of gravity too high imo, I did better round corners on the automatic peds with road tyres in all honesty.

The picutre of the road above was fine, I should have taken a picture of the corner I came off, gave potholes a new meaning!

Live and learn eh!

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    The bike- a real animal:

A bit of clarification needed here please.
    Is this pic trying to tell us that the bike was a real animal.
    or
    A pic of the bike - and the lady is a real animal !

Developing Member

Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrophonics
    Live and learn eh!
    Well owned up sir!

Last Online
    29-10-2012 @ 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexar County Stud View Post
    Call it a learning experience.
    An accident is almost always your own fault on a bike. Usually, you didn't pay attention.

All the spills that I had with my new bike - my fault As for potholes - well rule number 1 in driving school is drive by sight, and it's never wrong

Last Online
    29-10-2012 @ 08:21 PM
    Never ridden a bike there but my brother said the roads were scary steep and muddy. Now that's something coming from a daredevil semi-professional mountain biker

Last Online
    21-10-2013 @ 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikster View Post
    Never ridden a bike there but my brother said the roads were scary steep and muddy. Now that's something coming from a daredevil semi-professional mountain biker

There's an amazing roller coaster of roads as you come into Hat Rin and I've ridden it and lived to tell the tale, swerving round all the trippers and bikes lying in the road.

Basically the Suzuki Smash and other Nippon then fall-off bikes are made for midgets and suburbs and are lethal on loose surfaces.

There are better ways to die.

Like taking a boat back to Samui from the Full Moon Party!

Andrew Hicks

Last Online
    06-01-2024 @ 08:41 AM
    I rode a regular 100 cc with basket over Ko Pangan right at the end of rainy season. took it along the crappy north road - which goes up the middle of the island - to the beach. there were long hills with mud ruts 18 inches deep. Didn't spill though.
    That was 1998.

Dislocated Member

Last Online
    @
    Ouch! Good thread.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    20-11-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    I was in a bar in KP Ngan once and a youngish bloke hobbled in on crutches, sat down and had the following conversation on his mobile phone to his insurance company.

"Hi yes, thanks for getting the payment through for my leg injury you've been very helpful. The thing is I've dislocated my shoulder using my crutches riding my motorbike to help me turn a sharp corner. Should I send the medical bill to the same place to claim back the expenses?"

Cheers

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyman
    A pic of the bike - and the lady is a real animal
    she does look like she has nearly come.....

as for bikes, I always fall of after one beer

Sprayed On Member
    Last Online
    @
    I've had loads of accidents on that island, but they have all been on motorcycle taxi's. Drunk. Them and me. Oh except one were I woke up on the wrong beach and had no shoes. I started walk round the hill back to my beach by road but it was hurting my feet too much.

So I headed back towards the music and found a bar that was still open and announced to the whole bar I'd pay 500bt to anyone who'd give me a lift back to Tong Nai Pan Yai. ( I really wanted to go bed)

A white dude with blonde dreadlocks offered to take me. I should have turned the offer down when we crashed on the first corner but I stupidly got back on the bike.

Next we were heading over a bridge and the dude lost his balance and we both ended up in the water with the bike pining the dude to the river bed. I pulled the bike off him and dragged him up the bank so he could recover and then gave him a hand fishing the bike back onto dry land.

I then decided to walk home and he didn't get his 500bt.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by pomeloseed View Post

I rode a regular 100 cc with basket over Ko Pangan right at the end of rainy season. took it along the crappy north road - which goes up the middle of the island - to the beach. there were long hills with mud ruts 18 inches deep. Didn't spill though.
    That was 1998.

That is the road to Tong Nai pan, if one loves dirt bikes and can ride this is the best on the Island. When I lived there I used to see Thais go 3 up over it in the wet on there Honda waves. bloody brilliant they where

Sprayed On Member
    Last Online
    @
    I always expected them to finish that road but they never did. Kinda glad they didn't coz it ads to the fun of the trip.

I also used to think that that road was the reason the police never bothered you on Tong Nai Pan Yai, until the day I was present when the bib turned up for their tea money one day.

They were happy with the size of the brown paper bag and stayed around for a few reefers.

Gotta be the best beach in Thailand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information