Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

What visa should I apply for?

I plan to hang around Thailand for at least until the end of February but this could very easily turn into longer (another 12 months but won't know until early Feb)

I am 32 years old and married to a Thai. Money can be put in a bank account to show whoever if needed but I would rather not (especially at the current rates)

My time line so far (and coming up) is:

October 16 arrived Thailand got 30 days on arrival.
    November 12 will depart via plane Thailand for Laos
    December 1 (approx) fly back into Thailand from Laos and pick up another 30 days.

So If I stick with the tourist visas I assume I will need to leave the country again on December 30 which will then make 3 tourist visas in a row. Is that rule still about where 3 times and I am out or can I go on doing this indefinitely? If not, any suggestions on what I should apply for?

I am about a 2 hour drive from the chong mek border, can I do my tourist visa runs there? Can I apply for other visas there or will I need to go to bangkok?
    News is what someone, somewhere is trying to suppress - everything else is just advertising.

Last Online
    02-05-2011 @ 05:43 PM
    Mate: the visa you talk of is the so called 30 days entry permit, that is the one 3 time and you're out! I see you go to Laos and stay some time there, why not get a tourist visa for 60 days (and that can be prolonged for another 30 days at the local Immigration in Thailand? Makes much more sense then to travel to the border and get the 30 days only!
    If you get an official Tourist Visa you can get another additional one as well (wherever they have a Thai Consulate or Embassy) and stay here officially! Each 60 days Visa can be prolonged for another 30 days (guess the cost is Baht 1,900, same as a nice Bangkok Dinner for 2).

Agreed?

Last Online
    ^^
    The 30 days visa you have is NOT a Tourist Visa - Tourist Visa is to be obtained at an Embassy or Consulate and is 60 days valid - no limits there if you look "hansome" and not like a hippie!
    Cheers, you owe me a large beer if you come to the "deep" South.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks for helping me try and sort this out matsalleh, as you can see I have no idea when it comes to visas. The last time I got one I read it wrong and ended up over staying for 2 months which cost me about 14000 baht in fines

So I am on an entry permit not a tourist thingy, righto got it.

So when I am in Vientiane before I fly back to Thailand I should go to the Thai embassy and ask for a 60 day tourist visa? This I can then extend for another 30 days? At the chong mek border or has to be done in bangkok?

If I stay on after Feb, will doing the above cause any problems for me later?

PS - very handsome am I and a large beer will not be a problem

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Unless something has changed, you should be able to get a 90 day tourist visa with an Aussie passport memock- my brother has done this several times. There is a Thai consulate in Savannakhet in Laos, across the river from Mukdahan and of course in Vientianne, I'm not aware of one in Pakse, just the border crossing at Chong Mek.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2017 @ 03:32 PM
    I note your married to a Thai. A marriage visa with multiple entry might be the way to go. ANY Thai Immigration office can help you out with this one. (Especially if you have children together.) You may also want to check out "supporting" a child, complicated but is good until the child reaches 18 or 21??????? Have seen a couple of guys get this one.

E. G.
    "If you can't stand the answer --
    Don't ask the question!"

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-11-2020 @ 11:56 AM
    Eg, Memock can't go for support of child as he's not at least 50 years of age ( I went this way). The type O because of marriage he can qualify for only if he can show income of at least 40k baht per month. I'm on a pension and was on this program before but with the support of child and being over 50, I don't have to show the pension monies coming in. Best of luck and I'm sure there are others that will chime in with more info for you.
    Eliminator
    1986 Kawasaki 900

Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Non Imm "O" multiple works well for me but I think you'd have to get it in Brisi. or Perth. So that's not much help.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I'm on a marriage visa, we have no children, and I have to show a minimum of 400k in the bank every renewal.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I have 2 kids who are on Aussie passports (born there) but we are in the process of jumping through hoops here to get them Thai passports as well.

So a 90 day visa is an option as well then. Does this then include a further 30 days if I get to a border crossing somewhere?

Showing a monthly income doesn't suit either as I just bring over a chunk of cash everytime I/family/friend flys over from Aust.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    26-06-2015 @ 01:33 AM
    You basically have one option, but it can be changed or extended at Thai immigration.

Arrive here on 12 month, multi-entry ‘O’ visa based on marriage. This is for 90 days, but then it is extended when you re-enter the country for another 90 days. Hence a visa run.

This option is can be changed any time as long as the original visa is active by a visit to Thai immigration.

You will need to show income rather than a lump sum because of your age.

Income is a minimum of 40,000THB a month, but if your income is from abroad, it needs some proof in a form of a letter from the embassy. Alternatively, you could work here for 40k a month or your wife’s can work and earn 40k a month or a combination of both incomes if you and your wife work.

If you were over 50, you could have either a retirement extension of stay or an extension of stay to take care of a child if you are married and the father or a legal foster parent of a Thai child.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    I have 2 kids who are on Aussie passports (born there) but we are in the process of jumping through hoops here to get them Thai passports as well.

First you will need to get an official translation from your Embassy of the Birth certificate unless you have Thai birth Certificates. (Cost at the BE an arm and a leg)

If you have Thai birth certificates you can skip this stage and go with the house register to the pasport office. Your wife and kids need to be on the same register and this is done at the Amphur. It will take no more than 15min.

Second step is the Amphur. Here you need to get your kid on the house register and also get a birth and Thai registration. This registration form will have the future ID card number and is needed for most other registrations until you kid get an ID card. I think this was about 160baht

Third step is the passport office. This is a pleasure and a friendly service especially with kids.

You will need all the new documents including the house registration with your wife’s name and kid or kids in it. You will also need the new Thai registration and your passport and the ID card of your wife.

No need any photocopies as the service scans all the documents and takes the necessary photos.

In Bangkok you have a choice of three centres. The main Passport office on Chengwattana, the basement floor of Central Bang Na or the basement of the Thai Cultural Centre at Bin Kahlo: its about 500m away from Central Bin Kahlo but on the opposite side of the road if you are heading towards Nakhon Phatom.

Good parking at all locations but a 20baht fee at the back of the Cultural Centre at Bin Kahlo.

Passport cost 1000THB and are ready in 2 days for collection or you can pay 35baht for EMS delivery service.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Hi Gjbkk, thanks for all that. Thank fuly we got the birth certificates through Canberra before we left NZ (sound confusing? It was!)

Went to the local Amphur the other day but they want my FIL or at least the village headman to come along as well. Plus they want a family photo as well.

Will try again on Monday.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by gjbkk
    You will need to show income rather than a lump sum because of your age. Income is a minimum of 40,000THB a month,
    Why so? I'm 48, have recently done my second annual renewal, and have only ever had to show the 400K minimum.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    You will need to show income rather than a lump sum because of your age. Income is a minimum of 40,000THB a month,
    Why so? I'm 48, have recently done my second annual renewal, and have only ever had to show the 400K minimum.

That is one of the many wonders of Thai Immigration, in BKK you can do the income thinggy with 40K (you and wifey together, so she could have the full income and you nothing) and some other Immigrations ask for 400K flat....

Sorry TiT, can't help you there!

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post

As I understan from October 2006 they change the rules from 400,000Thb in the abank to 40k per month income. However this only affected new applications, those on that were on the 400K in the bank would continue with the old rules.

Could be you are on the old system.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004...e/rtp606EN.pdf

Article 7.17

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2009 @ 08:11 PM
    You can get a multiple entry non-immigrant "O" visa, based upon being married to a Thai without any proof of income or money in a Thai bank. The proof of income or money in the bank is required to make that "O" visa good for a one year stay, otherwise it will still be good for one year with multiple entries, but each "visit" to Thailand can only last 90 days.

It very much depends on how much work the OP wants to do, and what his chances are of extending the visit up to one year. The easiest way (least amount of work based upon not staying much more than say 120 days) to go is tourist visa - 90 days, and then some (extensions, and after maybe an arrival stamp run or two if necessary). The easiest way (if you think the chances are high that you will end up here for one year) is the non-immigrant "O" visa, this will require some leg work to get the necessary documents translated and such. If you choose to go down the "O"" visa route then you have to decide if it is worth it to you to bank some money in Thailand to get the one year version, or if you can swing a run to the boarder every ninty days and simply get a multiple entry standard "O" visa.

As they say in Thailand - Up to you.
    "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion" - Steven Weinberg

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Hi Bugs,

That sure sounds promising. That being the Non Imm O visa good for 90 days. Living where I currently am, having to go travelling every 90 days actually sounds like fun as it will get me out of here for a few days.

So no money needs to be shown. Just a Thai translation of a wedding documentation would that be correct, plus the usual few photos etc. Anything else?
    Would I be able to do this in Vientianne? If so does anyone know if it would be easier there or in bangkok.
    Every 90 days I just need to cross a border and come back correct?

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    to go is tourist visa - 90 days,
    Make that 60 days + a 30 days extension and I agree.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    Make that 60 days + a 30 days extension and I agree.
    Agree. 60 day is the longest Tourist visa I know of. It can be extended 30 days to give a full 90 day stay.

RIP
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Or you could go to South Africa and get a visa down there for a year,, maybe try Zimbabwe why not?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2017 @ 03:32 PM
    A note of clarification. ANY THai Immigration office can provide with all visa services. Different offices "seem" to have different rules in terms of money in the bank or income levels required.

On my first retirement extension of my Non-Imm O I went to Pong Nom Ron, very very pleasant and helpful folks, once I taught them how to access the Immigration web site and find out what central Imm had to say about income levels.

Actually a good experience after hearing/reading about the machinations endured by others. I would stay away from the 'typical' visa areas as Phuket, Chang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya etc. all the others, and there a quite a few it seems, are or can be very helpful.

In a visit to the Samut Prakan office the other day I was reading the sign boards for the marriage visa, 400K Bht in the bank OR 65K income per month. As I have to return there next week I'll double check.

E. G.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gibbon
    400K Bht in the bank OR 65K income per month.
    I think they have mixed requirements. I believe 65K/month is for retirement visa and 400k in the bank for marriage visa.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gibbon
    400K Bht in the bank OR 65K income per month.
    I think they have mixed requirements. I believe 65K/month is for retirement visa and 400k in the bank for marriage visa.

Correct, at least what Immigration Songkhla is asking for, but I am sure there are different strokes for different Immigration Offices!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2009 @ 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    Hi Bugs,
    That sure sounds promising. That being the Non Imm O visa good for 90 days. Living where I currently am, having to go travelling every 90 days actually sounds like fun as it will get me out of here for a few days.

So no money needs to be shown. Just a Thai translation of a wedding documentation would that be correct, plus the usual few photos etc. Anything else?
    Would I be able to do this in Vientianne? If so does anyone know if it would be easier there or in bangkok.
    Every 90 days I just need to cross a border and come back correct?
    I get mine every year in Tokyo - just because I travel there for work so I can kill two birds with one stone. The first one I applied for I did show proof of income (certified letter from my company - non-Thai based company BTW). But for the past three years I have not bothered.

What I submit:
    A) Visa application form
    B) Personal history (you should be able to print this off a Thai embassy web site, not sure if this is required outside of the embassy in Tokyo)
    C) Two pictures
    D) My passport (must be valid for at least six months)
    E) Print out of my flight plans (last time I only had a print out that showed my travel from Bangkok to Tokyo, and then from Tokyo to Bangkok, but I wrote in with a pen at the bottom by next scheduled flight out of Bangkok that was within the next 90 days) - not sure how big of a point this item is, does not seem to be too big of an issue if they let me get away with writing it in pen without and formal confirmation.
    F) Copy of my wifes ID card - front and back
    G) Marriage documents - we were married in Japan, so I submit everything but the kitchen sink. Not sure what is the least I could submit and not have a problem, and asking them each year which documents I need to submit and which ones I don't has proven worthless.
    - Certified Japanese wedding certificate (in Japanese of course)
    - English translation of the wedding certificate (notarized at the US embassy - note for US folks: you need to provide your own translator, and that translator then has to be present at the US embassy to swear the translation is correct at the time of the notarization).
    - Certified Thai translation of the Japanse wedding certificate
    - Certified Thai registration of the marriage (both in Thai and English)

The first year of course all of these were new documents, and the second year I went did the leg work and got all translations as well (somewhere I think it says they have to have been done within the last six months - not sure why 'cause it's not like a translation done three days ago is going to be any more correct than a translation done three years ago). Since the second time I have kept copies of everything in a file, and each year I submit the same documents. Well, actually copies of the documents. I bring the originals and copies to the Thai embassy in Tokyo. Then I submit only the copies - not been a problem so far.

The copy of my wifes ID card was a problem once, because it is not listed on the Thai Tokyo embassy web-site as being required. They let me submit everything without the copy of her ID card, then when I came back the next day I had to submit that copy before I could collect my passport w/visa (at least that is what they said, but when I came the next day they just gave me my passport and did not ask for the copy of her ID card).

I have had others pick up my passport with the visa, but I have always been the one to present everything at the embassy - I feel more comfortable doing it myself so I can address any issues first hand. I think the embassy in Tokyo is pretty easy to get visa's thru because travel to Japan ain't cheep so they don't see many non-Japanese doing visa runs to Tokyo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information