Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online
    @

Wanting to teach English as a "career move"

I have taught, yes. I did it as a Christian volunteer during my ''couple of months of clarity'' in 1997 when I quit drink and went to church.

I f**king hated it but when I realised it was one of few options available to me which would give me an income of sorts in Bangkok, I thought ''what the heck'' and did ok quite quickly, due to some sheer luck and a Resume with about as much truth as a bargirl's drunken ramblings on it.

I also pranced about as the novelty "luuk kreung'' on four TV ads, after being spotted waiting at a bus stop in Lat Prao by a fat lady who was an agent. (She was, and took my pics the next day at her studio, I thought my luck was well in!).

One ad ran repeatedly on TV whilst Paradorn was playing tennis and I had about 3 minutes of fame. Four people apoproached me in the month following. One of which I shagged the arse off over five days in a remote location by a lake near Pattaya.

Also the DJ-ing came in handy but since 2002 there's been a massive increase in DJs who'll play for beer and not cash. (Mainly Russian and French guys)

After several jobs in teaching where, to be honest, I was never fully immersed in the efforts required, I have now returned to a place where I will have to work hard and be disciplined.

But I only ever thought that surely, nobody pre-plans to exist as a teacher in Bangkok given the pay and conditions etc.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat
    Also the DJ-ing came in handy but since 2002 there's been a massive increase in DJs who'll play for beer and not cash. (Mainly Russian and French guys)
    and better than you too, more's the pity, huh?

Last Online
    @
    Probably in peoples opinions, but at least I don't claim to be Grandmaster Flash.

I am known to be still, look bored, stern and never smile whilst behind the decks. (which got me fired the other day from the Novotel CM2, that and telling the English manager to f**k himself)

Last Online
    24-01-2018 @ 11:50 AM
    Hard on the bottle tonight, Pat?

I was one of those that chose teaching as a career move.

I had worked as a radio DJ in the States for nearly 20 years. I was a radio gypsy, working from Kentucky to Florida to California to D.C. and Boston.

I loved the work, but hated the corporate bullshit and wanted to see the world...not much radio work around the world that lets you travel, so I chose English teacher. I had some friends that had taught in Russia, Japan and China and it sounded like fun.

I'm a good teacher, dedicated and doing good work for my students. I am never going to be rich at this but it pays the bills.

I miss radio. I miss the groupies. I miss the freebies but as a career move, teacher hasn't been a bad one.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch View Post

I was one of those that chose teaching as a career move.

I had worked as a radio DJ in the States for nearly 20 years. I was a radio gypsy, working from Kentucky to Florida to California to D.C. and Boston.

I loved the work, but hated the corporate bullshit and wanted to see the world...not much radio work around the world that lets you travel, so I chose English teacher. I had some friends that had taught in Russia, Japan and China and it sounded like fun.

I'm a good teacher, dedicated and doing good work for my students. I am never going to be rich at this but it pays the bills.

I miss radio. I miss the groupies. I miss the freebies but as a career move, teacher hasn't been a bad one.
    The bottle's hard on me actually, and stopping is not easy but I still have phases of clarity that keep me sane luckily.

I never was one for DJ groupies but a few do come and go. It's the anoraks that hang around DJ booths that I hate. Naming remixes and obscure artists that they know I won't know or have then giving me a smug smile.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    18-12-2008 @ 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    my thought as well.

back out are you patrick?

Last Online
    @
    ^^Out where? of the closet?

Last Online
    21-04-2013 @ 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch View Post

I never was one for DJ groupies but a few do come and go. It's the anoraks that hang around DJ booths that I hate. Naming remixes and obscure artists that they know I won't know or have then giving me a smug smile.
    I think there's a difference between a DJ and Disc Jockey? It sounds like Tony Blackburn meets Fat Boy Slim.

How much do you get paid to DJ here then? Its hard to imagine you can make a living doing it in BKK. I have a few mates who DJ here, but as you said usually for free drinks.

I think as a club DJ the thing that would put you off more than any pay issues would be the lack of appreciation from the crowd? I can't think of any clubs here that I've been to where much attention is payed to the "mixing" or choice of tracks by the DJ.

A good example of this was when Goldie played here one New Years Eve a few years back. He had the midnight hour set, when it got to 11:50 most people headed out to see the fireworks.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post

I think as a club DJ the thing that would put you off more than any pay issues would be the lack of appreciation from the crowd? I can't think of any clubs here that I've been to where much attention is payed to the "mixing" or choice of tracks by the DJ.

A good example of this was when Goldie played here one New Years Eve a few years back. He had the midnight hour set, when it got to 11:50 most people headed out to see the fireworks.

Well when I first got gigs here it was 4-5000 Baht a 2hr set, then it decreased and decreased as your Ivans from Russia and Erics from France came along.

Now you'd be doing well to get that same amount.

I average around 4000 a gig. If I put in the sound and lights as well at a house / hotel gig I charge 20-30,000.

But those gigs are thin on the ground.

No crowd in Bangkok appreciates the mixing really. Apart from other DJs and the anoraks.

Example: I'm playing Cypress Hill, Kurtis Blow and NWA at an old skool hip hop night last month and a Thai girl comes up and asks me

"when you can play hiphop?"

I said "who would you like to hear?"

"Justin Timberlake" she replied.

Nuff said.

Last Online
    17-05-2011 @ 06:41 AM
    [quote=DJ Pat;760948]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post

Example: I'm playing Cypress Hill, Kurtis Blow and NWA at an old skool hip hop night last month and a Thai girl comes up and asks me

"when you can play hiphop?"

I said "who would you like to hear?"

"Justin Timberlake" she replied.

Nuff said.

I feel your pain.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-05-2013 @ 06:37 AM
    and they wonder why teachers in Thailand get a bad rep?

Last Online
    24-01-2018 @ 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
    I think there's a difference between a DJ and Disc Jockey?
    You're quite right. Back in the day I used to DJ dances but that's when you played a whole song, no remixes, no house mixes...I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, nor the desire to ever do so.

Being a radio disc jockey is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Same thing could be said about segments of the teaching market with lots of Filipinos doing the same work for less. Can thank the inherent racism that helps keeps lots of whiteys in better paying teaching gigs.

Custom Title Changer
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    DJ,

Did you ever think that perhaps tastes in music evolve and at some point hip hop crap dj music would go the same way as BeeGee's disco music? Seems staking a artistic type career in one media is a sure example of being just a tool used by the ever changing desires of the masses.

Luckly being white in the classroom is still in vogue in many schools..and if you find the right school, you'll still have lots of time to play DJ.

I work with one of those French DJs. He did a gig a couple of months ago for Coke that paid 15K for two hours. Doubt he works for beer, no more than you do. Additionally, he's probably the best teacher at our school and thats saying something.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    He did a gig a couple of months ago for Coke
    just say no....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    and I bet they dont even have degrees either!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post
    DJ,

Luckly being white in the classroom is still in vogue in many schools..and if you find the right school, you'll still have lots of time to play DJ.
    Luckily, I'll never teach again.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    and I bet they dont even have degrees either!

The Three Degrees did, to a degree.

Last Online
    @
    At one point, in 2003~4 I seriously thought about teaching in Thailand.
    So much that I took several US uni courses to that end. About two years worth (post M). Aside from the practical exam in front of students, I could be a real teacher.

Since I've arrived here -- no fucking way. Not now at least. If I need money I could always sell my dogs for meat or join a circus.

Maybe someday. The credits don't expire. But I wouldn't do it here.
    Last edited by Texpat; 16-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    I have gone from running my own business in the UK for 8 years to teaching, and personally i love it.

However you sound like an agressive t*at, so it might not suit you. No offense intended of course.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones
    However you sound link an agressive t*at
    link please.

Last Online
    @
    Yes, a full-on teacher in Thailand making judgments about another's teaching ability based on (how long you been here) 50 posts?

Gimme a break. I've never met a TD poster that turned out like I imagined. Everyone is decent (well but for *** and ***).

I've weighed the merits of teaching and determined that it's not worth the effort.

Grow up. If I ever change my mind, it's a decent back-up.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    see...he doesn't have an anger problem....

Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pai nai ma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones
    However you sound link an agressive t*at
    link please.
    Good grief, your quick and sad I might add. If only my internet connection was fast enough to edit before you noticed the typing error. The shame.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    21 minutes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information