Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online
    27-12-2010 @ 11:09 AM

Siem Reap and its temples

Mate had to do a Visa Run and asked if I wanted to join for a bit of Cultural Experience. Tickets booked with Bangkok Air. Expensive but Fast!

Now the flight was due at 7:50 AM and arrived a bit late for check-in.. In fact 2 minutes to late and the didn't let us on board! Option was waiting for the next flight which was at 11: something... Next time I fly out early I make sure not to drink to much the night before...

Waiting for boarding we saw a foreigner walking around the plane.. Later found out it was the Pilot himself inspecting the plane.

Well, we flew of 10 minutes earlier as the plane was already full and no need to wait longer.. Of we went..

P.s. As Durianfan has just done a thread on this I will not post to many comments as all is described pretty well on his thread. In fact, I have loaded pictures over the past weeks to start this thread and when I just saw Durianfan's thread I thought.. fcuk that, no need than. But anyhow, it was a lot of work to resize all pictures so I want to share them with you guys anyway, if you like it or not..555

Last Online
    So lets start of with some pictures. In fact hundreds but let me see how I get along..

Starting with arriving in Siem Reap... Siem Reap for all that not might know means Defeat of Siam! Where the Siamese, now Thai, left Cambodia after their defeat.

The plane we arrived in:

And the plane parked next to us:

Vietnamese I believe

Upon entering the airport the welcome sign:

A bit clearer.. or NOT..

Few other picture from the airport surroundings upon arrival. Please note the pictures are not that clear as made by a mobile phone:

Now the Visa issue was a bit different from what I know from Thailand. Pretty well organized and fast. Basically you line up with your form, Passport and the US$ fee's. Than all waiting together at a different spot. There are 16 officers doing all sorts of things and each passport goes through each of those officers... Anyway, once all checked and stamped the last officer will stand up and in a funny way trying to pronounce loudly the names in the passport he holds.. Everybody had a laugh...

Last Online
    Now, after getting the Visa to enter Cambodia we were greeted by the Hotels Driver. The thing was that our plane was delayed and while emailing them in the morning that I would come on the next plane due to a hang over. Was not sure if the driver would be there but all worked out fine...
    Here a picture of his drivers license.. Its huge, no Idea how to fold that up in your wallet:

Picked up in a Thai Toyota with Cambodian Plates.. Cambodia is Left Hand drive, but most cars are from Thailand are are Right Hand drive... His driving skills were a bit worrying as he was going all over the place at a steady 30km/h with bikes passing us. We felt standing still... However he made up in corners as he kept a steady speed of 30km/h in corners and didn't stop for red light! All in all... Welcome to Siem Reap..

Last Online
    Now than. We choose to stay at the Auberge Mont Royal d'Angkor. Wasn't sure it it was any decent after many reviews were not that good.. So fingers crossed. The website looked so nice and the question marks kept coming on the way from the airport.. Did I make a good decision? After all, it was near the centre with a few minutes walk. The last corner towards the hotel we again went through with crying tires. Car stopped and first thing I noticed was the entrance.. It was indeed an old colonial mansion.. Very nice indeed. Truly boutique...

The entrance:

We had options for:
    Pool Villa US 60
    Delux US 50
    Standard US 30

But while booking with them direct they upgraded as 2 Pool Villa's for just US 40 per room per night!
    Ok, we took 2 as its dirt cheap... Well, its not exactly a VILLA but still very nice and 3 steps from the Salt Water Pool...

Another picture of the entrance at a different angle:

The street itself was not nice with lots of dust and a Tea House next door that was absolutly packed. Thought it was some bar but they sell Tea and watch Movies...

Some pictures of the lobby/ reception area:

Tour continues from Lobby toward the "Pool Villa"

Ahaaa.. The Pool

Its not a big pool but great to cool yourself down a bit while getting a few beers down your throat..

Ok, enough of the Pool, more later. Now the accommodation... Front View, terrace, entrance around the corner..

View from inside toward the pool...

The bathroom..

Separate glass door showers and bathtub

Enough of that, lets get on later with the rest of the Hotel as its beer time now. More to come soon....

Dislocated Member

Last Online
    @
    Looks very nice, but pretty empty. Guest friendly?

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    22-09-2018 @ 07:53 AM
    K.Lemon..... now I really wished I hadn't canceled that trip to Angkor Wat!! That hotel I found seemed to have turned out to be a good'un!!

Totsiens!!!!

G

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-11-2023 @ 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRobsLife View Post
    I hope not - I'd like to take my family there one day.

Cynical Member
    Last Online
    29-06-2015 @ 11:56 AM
    That hotel is amazing for such a cheap rate - now I wish I had looked around more.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRobsLife View Post
    It wasn't that empty, its just that I arrived early afternoon and most people are out on Temple tours. As for Guest friendly.... I guess that having lived in Thailand for a few years I am used on certain "Thai Way" things and dont get upset so fast over litle things. Its not a 5 start hotel so the service is not the same. However those guys here were very friendly and helped us with everything we needed. I do recommend it.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by toslti View Post
    K.Lemon..... now I really wished I hadn't canceled that trip to Angkor Wat!! That hotel I found seemed to have turned out to be a good'un!!

Totsiens!!!!

G
    Yes it did indeed Sir G.

Tot ziens

Last Online
    It has been a while. Many problems with download speed. Seems to be good now, so I give it another try.

Last Online

The bedroom, in fact you get 2 queen size beds:

Last Online

Stroll through the garden

Alright, continue with the garden before we are going to have a look downtown:

The garden with its pond, hanging bed, pool table and Bar:

This reminds me when I was a kid. Had the same "hanging bed" in my room..

Last Online
    And for a bit of late night entertainment there is a little bar:

And not to forget, a pool table. But its more like an off-road pool table. You will need 4wd balls:

Last Online
    Beer time...
    Excuse me, where can we drink some beers? Hmmm.... Barstreet.. What?!?! Yes, bar street... Ok, here we go...

Out of the Hotel you find this dusty street...

Further down the main street you will find more dusty spots

At this street turn right, so they told us...
    Red light means nothing in Cambodia..

Dust everywhere. Try not to sweat in this heat cause it will turn you into mud.

Past the bank... SCB?? No, CCB...

Last Online
    Beer time... Towards Bar Street we walked towards a well known name for us who live in Bangkok. Molly Malones... Well, that's what they called it, not sure if it belongs to the same chain.. Beer is on, and I was told Angkor is a good beer. And indeed, its lovely

Did you notice that label? It seems that Australia is selling those awards. I believe Chang has such an award as well..

Molly's had a great pool table upstairs and as it was day time we were the only guests in it.. Siem Reap is really quiet during the day time...

While going to the toilet you dont need to ask for tissue paper, there is enough:

And dont even try this beer, its horrible...

Last Online
    Of towards Bar Street... Oh, lets stop at the 7/11 for cigarettes:

7/11? Or....

Yep, you read that right.. 7/20.. Oh well, they will sell cigarettes..

Yes, they do sell cigarettes, but also you will find this in the shelves:

Cynical Member
    Last Online
    29-06-2015 @ 11:56 AM
    ^That is the first 7 I've seen in Cambodia. They just don't have them yet.

Last Online
    Was hungry so we tried this place... Great Food, some of the freshest I have tasted for a long time. Highly recommended! Went back twice..

Its at the entrance of Bar Street with great views..

View of Bar street, this all changes when coming back at night.. It turns into a Kao Sarn Rd.

Seems that Cambodia has different imports. Instead of Heinz in Thailand we have Maggy in Cambodia.

For transport you have a few options.. Walk, private driver or just get in one of these. 1$ seems to be the going price for anywhere down town...

Wouldn't mind having them as options on the Thai streets. Not so much in Bangkok, but on the Islands

Last Online
    Hotels are popping up everywhere and the Tourism has really picked up. Siem Reap is trying really hard to change is image to a more upper class city. One half seems to be shitty, ther other half is looking great:

We also had a look at the newly opened museum... Was great to learn somethings about the history. Could take your camera which was a shame..

And yes, tourism is picking up and so are the shops that selling goods. Nokia's are cheaper than in Thailand so I picked one up for the missus..

Last stop for Tourists....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-11-2023 @ 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnow View Post
    Beer is on, and I was told Angkor is a good beer. And indeed, its lovely
    I met the manager of Angkor breweries 8-9 years ago when I did some work in Cambodia. Turns out that Angkor is actually brewed on a yeast developed by Carlsberg breweries in Denmark. The guy took his beer seriously, and I think it shows - a far better brew than any of the beers you get in Thailand.
    Any error in tact, fact or spelling is purely due to transmissional errors...

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteshiva View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnow View Post
    Beer is on, and I was told Angkor is a good beer. And indeed, its lovely
    I met the manager of Angkor breweries 8-9 years ago when I did some work in Cambodia. Turns out that Angkor is actually brewed on a yeast developed by Carlsberg breweries in Denmark. The guy took his beer seriously, and I think it shows - a far better brew than any of the beers you get in Thailand.
    I didn't know that. But it is indeed a very nice beer.

Last Online
    ATM's spit out Dollars. Make sure though that all notes are in tact. Some people take of small corners of the notes to see if they are real and not copied.
    Try to use those notes in the bars at night because when you arrive back in Thailand with those damaged notes, and I mean just a little nip out of the corners you will be refused while exchanging them into Baht.. Tried several exchange booths in Thailand and after the 4th booth I ripped up those notes and give it to them without the numbered parts.. Dont do that with Thai money though, you might end up in jail as I did years ago in formal Yugoslavia. Missed 2 months of class as we were arrested playing Cards at a camp fire when a mate threw some notes in the fire. But thats another story..

At night time we went to a restaurant that was a former Crocodile Farm. Pretty amazing place as it was very high with many levels to sit at. Bills, beers were sent up by a rope. No pictures as I didnt take my camera at night which is a shame cause it could have filled up the "knicker thread"

Did find this picture of that restaurant. You can see the ropes me thinks:

And a left over crocodile:

Last Online
    More pictures tomorrow... Work is calling

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnow
    Did you notice that label? It seems that Australia is selling those awards. I believe Chang has such an award as well..
    Yet more proof that Australia is indeed clueless about beer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information