Thread: Don Wai Market

Last Online
    24-03-2013 @ 05:45 PM

Don Wai Market

As it was a boring Sunday in town, we decided to burn a few hundred baht on petrol and headed to Don Wai Market.

It's located on Phuttamonthon sai 5 Road, Nakhon Pathom. People often call it Don Wai Floating Market, but it ain't floating like the one in Amphawa or Damnoen Saduak. In fact, this market is just on the banks of Tha Jeen river. Apparently, more than 100 years old now the market is.

We got there around noon. Quite hungry now, so we made our way down the market.

Didn't look too busy on the way in. We spotted these massive mangoes..

Cute?

When we were finally at the market, we decided to have lunch first. We picked this restaurant.

The place was VERY busy.

And here came our lunch..

crab with curry

Fish..

And squid..

Fish was the best of all three. Squid wasn't too bad. And the crab was the worst. Shame, that's always my favourite. We ordered another fish and a tod mun goong to take home. The bill was about 700 baht.

Now it's time to explore the market.

There's lots of food here.

More fish.

The usual stuff.

Thai sweets.

This seems to be ancient Thai sweets that are difficult to find these days.

Making our way deep into the market. Still having fun buying food and sweets for people at works.

And we got stuck!!

Now, we realised that it wasn't a very wise move to come to the market at lunchtime. It's way too crowded.

The market is famous for their boiled ducks. Got quite a few of these along the way. That's a lot of ducks being murdered.

I almost ran out of my patience by now as I don't do crowded places very well.

Some more sweets for the youngest girl in the family. She loves this stuff.

So, we bailed after this one. The market is pretty long. 300 metres of food stalls. You can go on a short boat trip also. But we got things to do back in town, so couldn't get on it. Next time!

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

- Oscar Wilde

Not an expat
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Makes sense to order seafood when the restaurant advertises grilled duck.
    So what actually is special about this market to make it worthwhile to drive tehre?

Thanks for the pictures anyway.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    looks great mate, I used to often get a boat ride to Taling Chan markets, but i'd have more than one or two beers!

Last Online
    24-03-2013 @ 05:45 PM
    The market's famous for the ducks, they're everywhere. But we're not that into ducks, so went for seafood instead.

Have to say they got lots of yummy stuff. Especial the traditional Thai dessert that is hard to come by these days. Cheap too.

From TAT

Don Wai Riverside Market

Situated in Tambon Bang Kratuek. Behind the Don Whai temple is a market that still retains an appearance of a market dating back to King Rama VI period. The old building is made of wood and located on the banks of the Tha Cheen River. Food vendors travel by boats to sell their goods here. Agricultural produce are sold daily from 07.00-18.00. Boats are available for rent for scenic river trips.

Cruising along the Tha Cheen River is available at Don Whai Market by riding a converted cargo boat and a passenger boat. There are 2 cruise lines: 1) from Wat Don Whai passing Wat Rai Khing, and Wang Pla. 2) from Wat Don Whai passing Wat Rai Khing, Wang Pla, Wat Sanpetch, Wat Decha, the police cadet academy, and the Rose Garden (Suan Sam Phran). For more information, contact Acharn Sawat tel: 034 321-038, 01 448-8876, 01 659-5805.

Nakhon Pathom

Last Online
    05-02-2009 @ 04:24 PM
    I wonder how they murder the ducks because they are complete with head.
    Animal protection is not an important subject in Asia.

Last Online
    24-10-2012 @ 07:52 PM
    Kiddies sweets cutest things i ever did see

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydisc
    I wonder how they murder the ducks because they are complete with head
    My guess is they do it the Chinese way- put the chicken or duck into a wire basket with a rope or chain attached, and lob it into boiling water. This may sound cruel, but it isn't really- the bird is dead very quickly.

The Chinese like this way for three reasons- no blood is lost, so the flesh stays moist while being cooked, and it is much quicker to pluck a slightly parboiled chicken or duck- plus the skin also crisps up better in the oven, if it is roasted. Practical people those Chinese, and their roast duck and goose is second to none imo.

In contrast, the way they do it in Isaan is totally different. The feathers around part of the live animals neck are plucked- not very pleasant judging by the sounds. It's throat is than cut, and the blood drained out- thus you end up with no annoying small feathers in the blood. The blood and carcass are used seperately for cooking. I prefer the Chinese way.

Last Online
    03-03-2016 @ 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydisc
    I wonder how they murder the ducks because they are complete with head
    My guess is they do it the Chinese way- put the chicken or duck into a wire basket with a rope or chain attached, and lob it into boiling water. This may sound cruel, but it isn't really- the bird is dead very quickly.

The Chinese like this way for three reasons- no blood is lost, so the flesh stays moist while being cooked, and it is much quicker to pluck a slightly parboiled chicken or duck- plus the skin also crisps up better in the oven, if it is roasted. Practical people those Chinese, and their roast duck and goose is second to none imo.

In contrast, the way they do it in Isaan is totally different. The feathers around part of the live animals neck are plucked- not very pleasant judging by the sounds. It's throat is than cut, and the blood drained out- thus you end up with no annoying small feathers in the blood. The blood and carcass are used seperately for cooking. I prefer the Chinese way.

Yea boiling something alive. Not cruel at all!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    But plucking an animals feathers from a sensitive part of it's anatomy, and then slitting the animals throat while alive and conscious and bleeding it to death is of course so much more charitable.

Thread Information