Last Online
    25-04-2011 @ 04:09 AM

Pattaya to Cambodia Visitors: Beware of Maneerat Transport & Travel (Soi Post Office)

In March, 08, I took a 7 days/6 nights Cambodia package tour with Maneerat Transport & Travel in Pattaya for 31,000 Baht and that was a horrible experience. When you are in Pattaya, don't go to this "dark travel house" for your travel needs.

Here are the mishaps:

1. Visa Scam: When I arrived at a restaurant near the border at Poi Pet, an agent working for Maneerat asked me for 1200B visa cost plus his 100B handling fee (this fee was never mentioned by Maneerat). I asked him if I could pay US$20 (which was the info I had on the visa cost), but he said no. Unwillingly, I paid him 1300B. (1200 Baht is almost twice of US$20.)

Later, I asked some experienced travellers in Thailand about the visa cost issue and they confirmed I was ripped off.

2. Exchange Scam: After I had passed Cambodian immigration, the driver took the group on the bus to a currency exchange place nearby. He told us exchange places were closed in the weekend (that day was Friday) in Siem Reap and we had better get our exchange there. I found out later that there were plenty of exchange shops in Siem Reap that open 7 days a week. I did my homework and knew US$1 can get about 3,900 Cambodian Riels. That place quoted me the rate of US$1 to 3,200 Riels, which was a total ripoff. Of course, I did no exchange in the shop. Unfortunately, other people on the bus did some exchanges for their Bhat and US$.

3. Tour Not as Described: The tour was not what was described in the tour program. Among many unsatisfactory things, I was left stranded in Sihanoukville (Cambodia) when no one picked me up to return to Pattaya. I had to get back to Pattaya on my own!

Again, don't go to this "dark travel house" for your travel needs.

សុខសប្បាយ
    Last Online
    11-12-2009 @ 11:23 PM
    A lot of Currency Exchange places in Cambodia still give 40THB to the $ so exchanging your THB in Thailand for $ is advisable.

I've never needed Riels and if I did I'd pay in $ and keep the Riel change.

As a rule everywhere operates 4000 Riels to $1. 1000 Riels is 25 cents.

Anywhere offering less than this in my experience is gouging.
    Mortals you defy the Gods, I sentence you to travel among unknown stars, until you find the Kingdom of Hades, your bodies will stay as lifeless as stone.

Last Online
    @
    This all is nothing special. It is Thailand. If you want to make a tour then do it on your own. Whenever you use a service here you might be disappointed a lot - not always. For many of those companies you are an opportunity to make money and not a customer. But you will make the same experience in Spain or many other countries. Be a tourist and not a victim - this is the challenge. To be honest - write this after more than 10 years in SEA. Had to learn and pay a lot... Never forget when I saw my first ladyman in my life

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    It is hard not to get ripped off in Cambodia.

Have you been back to the travel agent to have a word with them? At least you should demand to get something back for the failure to pick you up on the return journey - I would after spending 31k, the other stuff I suppose is minor.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post

Have you been back to the travel agent to have a word with them? At least you should demand to get something back for the failure to pick you up on the return journey - I would after spending 31k, the other stuff I suppose is minor.
    No because I didn't think it is wise thing to do. If I were ablel to get anything from Maneerat, the amount would be too small to be worthwhile.

Rather I filed two complaints to Ministry of Tourism and Sports (TAT isn't the agent to complain to) , one on the visa cost and exchange scams (which affect tourists in general) and another on tour not as described (which affects me only).

born of a jackal
    Last Online
    15-07-2008 @ 06:05 PM
    31k! - I hope they put you up in a top notch hotel for that price

Last Online
    12-01-2021 @ 05:48 AM
    You need to find out if they are registered tour operators.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colourful-era
    That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hunghung
    No because I didn't think it is wise thing to do. If I were ablel to get anything from Maneerat, the amount would be too small to be worthwhile.
    That would have been the obvious first call before taking it further, which I doubt will be "worthwhile" your effort.
    I bet you haven't furnished them any copy of your letter either, so they don't even know there is a complain, and probably never will.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by colourful-era
    That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hunghung
    That would have been the obvious first call before taking it further, which I doubt will be "worthwhile" your effort.
    I bet you haven't furnished them any copy of your letter either, so they don't even know there is a complain, and probably never will.
    I think Ministry of Toruism and Sports [touristassistancecenter(dot)go(dot)th] will send a copy of my complaints to Maneerat for it to respond. Resolving complaints is what the Ministry does.

BTW, I stayed at 3-star hotels on the Cambodia tour. Had I paid on my own, the rate would have been $25-30/night. Also, Only the on-day Angkor Wat tour qualified as a guided tour. The tour was a total ripoff. I can give more details if anyone cares.

សុខសប្បាយ
    Last Online
    11-12-2009 @ 11:23 PM

It was a Thai company that ripped him off.

I've never been ripped off in Cambodia and I've been going there regularly for nine years.

In comparison, the scams start as soon as you step off the plane at Suvarnabhumi with taxis and rogue officials intimidating arriving passengers. Even now, after a decade of living in Thailand I am still approached by these shysters after a flight.

Thread Information