Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    born of a jackal
    Last Online
    15-07-2008 @ 06:05 PM

The pointlessness of visa runs

All this talk of ways round the visa system just seems so pointless - what a waste of money. Leaving every 3 months (or 1 month even) just to get a short extension in this little tin-pot nation beggars belief. Why bother?

RIP
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    well when I came here I did the runs every 3 months, was a nice trip and a vacation kinda, maybe some strange stuff, coarse I had a few that came around my house in CM tho. but Lao was even stranger, but taste the same..

Then I got married so then it was not worth it with my wife having to take off work and go with me and it was a more structured trip, so now I just go once a year to CM.

born of a jackal
    Last Online
    once a year is not a problem but doing the 3 month tourist visa + extensions for 2000B routine is what I'm refering to really. Can't see Thailand as being so great to want to do that for more than a year or two.

In fact, I can't really see how any sensible person could think that Thailand is great for anything long term.

RIP
    Last Online
    Me either really, but some marry and settle here, and as you know,,

Everybody gots to be somewhere..

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang
    well when I came here I did the runs every 3 months, was a nice trip and a vacation kinda, maybe some strange stuff, coarse I had a few that came around my house in CM tho. but Lao was even stranger, but taste the same..
    Any chance of a translation into English?

Last Online
    12-01-2021 @ 05:48 AM
    Actually it is a pointless system except for the moron who created it. I can take my wife and go home and she would not need to do a visa run, apply for a work permit own half her business or limited to which property she may buy.

The only people who bother are those who are here on a temporary bases or married to a local. Either way it is a waste in both human resources and money. Instead of offering foreigner's married to locals something to integrate them, they show them the door.

When your country lacks a skill, you open the doors to stem the shortfall. Thailand fails dismally at English compared to other Asian countries. Instead of getting more people in they try and push as many out. It is not my country so I don't have a vested interest in it hence it not my problem.

Enjoy the stay while you can and move on when the time is right.
    Last edited by Reaper; 24-03-2008 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelling

RIP
    Last Online
    OK for sTroller, who seems to like following me around and posting senseless shit

"Your Nose In My Ass, ya stupid prick, Hows that??

Last Online
    @
    The visa runs might be hard to understand. But keep in mind that in countries like EU or USA you cannot stay longer then 180 days a year. So the Thai government does a great job and let us stay here longer.

Last Online
    17-03-2024 @ 03:29 AM
    ^ Wrong. In the US, not too hard to change your immi status and stay as long as you like. Ask the hundreds of thousands of Thais living in the US, running their own businesses and owning their own homes.

But this isn't the compare Thailand to US thread.

The real reason visa runs are dumb (aside from the petty jobsworth attitude of hassling foreigners) is that Thai Immigration could simply sell 1 year visas for 30-50k and there'd be a line around the block to get one, thereby generating hundreds of millions of baht instant revenue. Given the emphasis on money money money that pervades Thai visa law, I wouldn't see this as contradictory.

But these rules are in place because nationalism trumps pragmatism, every time. This way they can say that they do allow foreigners to live here (thus forestalling retaliatory immi policies by western countries), as long you get the correct visa. In practice, they make it such a hassle, and allow so few Westerners to normalize their immi status by achieving residency, that most do piss off and leave after a couple years. That is exactly their objective.

Last Online
    20-01-2011 @ 09:13 PM
    I think that the answer for many is that despite the inconvenience and regular cost of visa runs, Thailand is still a comparatively cheap, easy and safe place to live. As soon as the cost benefit evaporates so will the popularity of Thailand for those fortunate enough to be able to choose an alternative, the same is true of any country.
    By any stretch of the imagination, Thailand is a freewheeling sort of place where the rule of law counts for little, rather the whole system relies on patronage. Provided you have enough money you can do virtually anything but woe betide you if you upset anybody big. If you keep a low profile therefore and stay off the radar you’ll probably encounter few of the difficulties that you might encounter in North America or Western Europe, that alone is enough to make it still a very attractive place for many and helps keeps 'em coming back for more.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    The visa practice in Thailand was very lax until recent years - seemingly endless borderruns for 30 day stamps and back-to-back tourist visas.
    Actually quite a sensible system - minimum administrative costs, allowing people to stay without giving them any rights and keep an eye on them by making them show their face regularly at a border.

One of the major "flaws" is the absence of long-term visas for those too young to retire and not married.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller
    One of the major "flaws" is the absence of long-term visas for those too young to retire and not married.
    Yes this is really short sighted and overall detrimental to Thailand. The retirement visas are designed to encourage people to come and stay for an indefinite period so their money adds to the local economy. Age has nothing to do with ones ability to meet the financial requirement and therefore similar visas should be granted to any that meet the financial requirement.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect,"

Last Online
    29-04-2015 @ 06:33 PM
    Pisses me off.Why can't I show my face at CM Im, instead I have to go to MaiSai every three months.All the info goes on to a central system right? All I'm doing is giving 500 B to Burma.

Last Online
    17-03-2024 @ 03:29 AM
    I don't think 'showing your face' at the border serves to keep an eye on anybody. In any event, it could just as well be done downtown.

The real purpose is to make the white monkey jump through a ridiculous hoop, and remind you that you have no status here.

The fact that there are no visas for under 50, unmarried (to a Thai), not working in the few permitted occupations types is nonsense.

The Elite Card .... not a visa, it's a vague promise in exchange for 1.5 million baht.
    Last edited by johnbkk; 24-03-2008 at 01:49 PM.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    All the info goes on to a central system right?
    I think this is quite a recent development. Hopefully visa requirements will reflect this eventually.

born of a jackal
    Last Online
    Of course what is also daft is the fact that the overstay charge is only 20K - surely for those willing to take the risk this is way way cheaper than doing a visa run. A recent trip by me to Singapore for a visa was getting on for this price once taking into account lost earnings.

I wonder when this 20K fee will be bumped up considerably.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colourful-era
    I wonder when this 20K fee will be bumped up considerably.
    Shortly after the TD Thai immigration mole reads this post. Wonder who it is?

Last Online
    @
    Did the visa runs for many years. Just got 50 and so I could apply for a retirement visa. Somehow I miss those visa runs - not kidding.

But anyhow - it gets a severe problem to stay here very long with all this new visa regulations if you are younger. I do not understand the 50 years requirement. Could be 30, 40, 50, 60, 70... Does not make sense to me. More and more they even ask for tickets out of Thailand. So it gets harder and harder.

Even the retirement visa could be changed/canceled at any time. Brave people who invest here in the believe everything will be the same in the future. I always look that I have enough money to live in my home country - just in case. This is the only place where I can live without visa.

សុខសប្បាយ
    Last Online
    11-12-2009 @ 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    There's no flaw. If you don't qualify for one then they don't want you long term in Thailand.

I'm 33 and have never had a problem getting a Non-Immigrant 'B' one year multiple entry.

I still have to leave every 90 days as I don't want to report to Immigration, obtain work permit etc but it gives me a chance to head down to Singapore, Phnom Penh, Australia etc. It's never a hassle, more like a welcome break!

Let's be honest it is so easy to obtain a Non-Immigrant visa one year multiple at certain Thai Consulates there shouldn't be anybody complaining!
    Mortals you defy the Gods, I sentence you to travel among unknown stars, until you find the Kingdom of Hades, your bodies will stay as lifeless as stone.

សុខសប្បាយ
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbkk View Post
    I don't think 'showing your face' at the border serves to keep an eye on anybody. In any event, it could just as well be done downtown.

The real purpose is to make the white monkey jump through a ridiculous hoop, and remind you that you have no status here.

The fact that there are no visas for under 50, unmarried (to a Thai), not working in the few permitted occupations types is nonsense.

The Elite Card .... not a visa, it's a vague promise in exchange for 1.5 million baht.
    There are plenty visas for under 50's, including tourist visas, Non-Imm 'B' visas if you are doing business or gaining employment, Non-Imm R if you are here on religious purposes. Non-Imm E if you are here for an education, etc, etc, etc.

If you don't qualify for any of these than what are you doing in Thailand? Hanging around? It's been made abundantly clear the days of foreigners (even long term tourists) just hanging around for as long as they please under dubious circumstances are over.

If you don't have a specific reason for being here then you won't get a long term visa and I don't see anything wrong with that!

If you are not smart enough or don't have enough money to work around the rules (and it is incredibly easy to do so) then that's not the Thais' fault - it's yours!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorTud
    I still have to leave every 90 days as I don't want to report to Immigration, obtain work permit etc
    In some circumstances, you still need to leave every 90days with a work permit. I.e., when you're not married or don't employ enough staff.

សុខសប្បាយ
    Last Online
    ^ I think if you don't earn enough you still have to leave even if you have a work permit.

I don't want to be on the radar so to speak so I don't bother with work permits or reporting and the extra scrutiny that accompanies them. The day may come when they move the goalposts and I'll need one and I don't anticipate that being a problem.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    I think if you don't earn enough you still have to leave even if you have a work permit.
    Try reading it again.

សុខសប្បាយ
    Last Online
    ^ yes, I was just giving another reason.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    If you don't qualify for any of these than what are you doing in Thailand? Hanging around? It's been made abundantly clear the days of foreigners (even long term tourists) just hanging around for as long as they please under dubious circumstances are over. If you don't have a specific reason for being here then you won't get a long term visa and I don't see anything wrong with that!
    And what is your "specific reason" for being here?

Just hanging around or earning a living under dubious circumstances, with that easy-to-get-at-certain-consulates visa and not-wanting-to-be-on-the-radar, matey?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information