Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Critters and creatures in Jakarta

the other day we rescued this little critter out of the swimming pool....

he seemed a little tired and worn out, i'm not sure how long he had been swimming/drowing for...
    Last edited by kingwilly; 30-01-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    and then I received an emergency call from the g/f, come home quick, there's a snake in the window, what she neglected to mention was that they had almost killed the poor thing by accidentally crushing it in the window jam.....

I managed to get it out of the window jam....despite the yelling and screaming...

and freed it on the grass outside (well outside...)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 08:22 PM
    What is it? Mongoose?
    A cute little feller, but he looks like could do some damage.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ I suspect that he is, they can be domesticated which would explain this one's docility and appearance in Jakarta

though he might be a terrestrial tree shrew..

Last Online
    01-03-2012 @ 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexar County Stud View Post
    What is it? Mongoose?
    A cute little feller, but he looks like could do some damage.
    Oh! You think about Rudyard Kippling and Rikki-Tikki-Tawi I think I would try to domesticate this nice Critter to my garden

Greetz from Germany
    Lothar

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    ^ I suspect that he is, they can be domesticated which would explain this one's docility and appearance in Jakarta

though he might be a terrestrial tree shrew..
    You're awful brave picking him up.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    AH Huh ! I found out what it is!

Its a musang or common palm civet!

ADW: Paradoxurus hermaphroditus: Information

The common palm civet is found from the Himalayas and southern China, to the Philippines, the Malay peninsula, and the Indonesian islands. It is a highly adaptive animal and can live
    in dense forests, agricultural areas, and even alongside humans.
    Weighing from 4 to 11 pounds, the palm civet's head and body length is 17 to 28 inches (43.2-71 cm), with a tail length of 16 to 26 inches (40.6-66 cm). Its ears are small and faintly pointed, as is its nose. It has a long and slender body with short legs. They have a coarse grayish to brown coat with black-tipped guard hairs over all. Three rows of black spots run along each side of its body. The hair around its eyes, cheeks and muzzle is black, with spots of white under each eye and on each side of its nose. The ears, feet and last end of its tail are also black.
    Both sexes have well-developed anal scent glands looking somewhat like testes, which gives the musang its species name.
    A nocturnal omnivore, the palm civet hunts alone. They are expert climbers and spend most of their lives in trees. They eat small vertebrates, insects, ripe fruits and seeds. They are very fond of palm sap, therefore their common name. The sap is used by natives to make a sweet liquor called "toddy", which gives the palm civet its other common name. The palm civet is also fond of coffee cherries. They eat the outer fruit and the coffee beans pass through their digestive tract. An expensive coffee called kopi luwak is supposedly made from these coffee beans. Kopi luwak is said to have a gamy flavor and sells for more than $100 per pound.
    Palm civets stake out territories which often overlap during times of adequate food supply. When spending time in one area, musangs will use the same tree to sleep in during the day. Plam civets reproduce throughout the year although it has been recorded that kittens are most often seen from October to December. Kittens are born in a litter of 2 to 5 young. Palm civets become sexually mature at 11 to 12 months. In captivity the common palm civet can live up to 22 years.
    The common palm civet disperses seeds of the trees on which it feeds by eating the seed pulp and passing the seeds well away from its parent tree. Although not much is known about the palm civet, it is believed that its nocturnal habit was developed to avoid predators. It is plentiful in its natural range and is not endangered.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-10-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Civets . . . SARS, anyone?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat
    Civets . . . SARS, anyone?
    no proof of that.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-10-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    I believe there was . . . originating in Guangdong province . . . but yours are Indon civets . . . too lazy to do much harm . . unlike the mainland Chinese ones . . .

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    and this fella didnt look so happy this morning...

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:21 PM
    Very good KW.

I hope you said 'crikey' a lot whilst jumping around in khaki safari gear.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    By Crickey I did!

BTW has anyone else seen this south african snake guy ? Steve Austin i think his name is.......

he's almost as mad as REx hunt or Steve Erwin...

Thread Information