Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Marmite's weekend in Jakarta

Well, I sent this as a PM, but then thought feck it, I could use the help of youse folks to help me plan MtD's weekend trip to Jakarata.

Friday - so pick up at airport, off to a bar bar for a few quiet drinks.
    home by around 2.00ish (you could always stay out later if you so desired, I can get a taxi home)

Saturday - (i'm at work 7-3)

1st idea - volcano tour!? long drive, not much to see, usually best to do over a weekend trip and actually go hiking etc.

2nd option - G/F as tour guide to city, visit monas tour and museum, old dutch town, old fishing port linky, and Batavia cafe

Evening - out on the lash, pub meal or an reasonable indonesian restaurant option? (can you eat spicy food?) - visit several expat bars bars in kemang, watch sports, then blok m blok m (lame girlie bar option plus pool etc) and then some highend (red square, X2, vertigo) and/or seriously lowend discos? - such as stadium disco or millenium

Sunday - (what time u leaving?) - pub at lunch to quell that stomach? all day brunch with free flow chocolate martinis @ mulia hotel, beer and champagne? day trip to Bogor, visit Taman mini park? play golf? go shopping at a mall?

kingwilly

I was thinking that a tour around city to take pics of Suharto's various monuments could be a topical picture thread....

what say the plan??
    Last edited by kingwilly; 30-01-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    As long as there are photos I don't care what the plan is!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    virtual tourist has a load of ideas to do when visiting JKT....

Jakarta Things To Do - Travel Guides - VirtualTourist.com

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I did find this very helpful list of things to do in Jakarta (traffic) via google....

Twelve Things to Do in Jakarta Traffic

Welcome to life in Jakarta! You know without a doubt that you are living in Asia and probably love the hustle and bustle of the big city. The problem is when there is so much hustle and bustle that your are forced to sit still for hours on end while waiting for the traffic to move. There is solution to the traffic problem. No, I haven't found a way to make the traffic move. Instead you must solve it the other way, that is refuse to regard it as problem.

Think of it. If you read an advertisement offering a lifestyle where you were guaranteed at least two hours a day to sit and do nothing, you would think it sounded too good to be true! If you live here, chances are you've got it!

Here are some suggestions on how you can make the most of this opportunity.

1. Study the Culture. It is right outside you window. Don't begin to take for granted the scenes that most people only get to see in the National Geographic. When the panorama ceases to impress you, imagine your Aunt Minnie is visiting you and sitting beside you. Yes, Aunt Minnie, that was a family of five on that motorcycle. Yes Aunt Minnie, I think they have a helmet law here but is not enforced. Yes, Aunt Minnie, they still carry things in that quaint method of two baskets on a stick. No, I don't think it can be approved upon.

Read. Now, I know this sounds obvious, but you can use this time to discipline yourself to read the things you do not really want to read but feel you should. Only bring in the car what you would not read unless there is absolutely nothing else, such as that article on the economy that your spouse enjoyed so much. You will devour it if nothing else is available.

Read for Pleasure. This is my favorite! I am often dissipated when the ride is over. the only problem is that you may arrive at a business meeting with your head and heart still in that can't put it down novel.

Learn Indonesian. If you have a driver you can not only study your vocabulary words but work on your pronunciation. Do not worry that his accent may be less cultured than your teachers….everyone understands him, right?….you can work on the accent later.

Learn Anything. Obviously not just languages can be studied in the car. Bring along information on any subject. With lots of time to go over it again and again (and again) it will begin to sink in.

6. Exercise. Do you remember the discover of "isometric" exercise a few years back-the revolutionary idea that it is not a necessary to flying your limbs to and fro to flex your muscles? Just tightening the muscles exercise them. "Kegel" exercises are especially discreet to do in the car if you have not heard of "Kegeling" you probably have not given birth in the last twenty years. You probably have traveled in an airplane to get here and are aware of the gentle exercise that flight attendants anchorage you do on the planes. These are good for the car as well.

Knit, Embroider etc. The folks back home might appreciate those socks and sweaters, even if you cannot bear to touch the yarn without the air conditioner on high. A friend of mine supplied all her family back in Canada with their winter woollies knitted whilst waiting for traffic to move. Any needle work can make your time in traffic productive or relaxing: think of it as the equivalent of your time in front of the fireplace on long winter nights.

Write Letters. I prefer to type mine but have changed to hand written letters because those were the only ones that were getting written at all. Surely everyone owes a few letters at any given moment.

Eat. This comes under the heading of 'forcing'. I do not suggest eating pastries or anything else that is enjoyable to eat in a proper setting. Skip breakfast and grab a potassium filled banana to eat in the car.

10. Get to know your children/spouse. Too often these days each family to relate your day's activities or discuss recent events. My husband has not spent so much time with the children in years as he derives to school with them. Keep plenty of games and ideas on hand to keep young children occupied. You probably all have played 'I spy' until you are sick of it but it works for awhile.

11. Listen to Music. How often do you have time to sit and listen to a symphony of your favorite musical? If you have a cassette player in your car, or if you must use a portable one, this is your chance to relax favorites. Radio station 103 FM is very relaxing to listen to. 12.

You will have to think of this one yourself
    …I have finally arrived at my destination. Happy journeying.

Source: ICAC Magazine

I am in Jail

Last Online
    15-12-2012 @ 03:35 PM
    Actually, I know Jakarta fairly well, I get there about 3 times/yr. But, it's just in and out for business. The city is so huge, it kind of depends what part of town he's staying in. Are you picking him up, or sluffing him off to Bluebird?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by chinthee
    city is so huge, it kind of depends what part of town he's staying in.
    very true. south south west. not far from Citos and ring road

Are you picking him up, or sluffing him off to Bluebird?
    picking him up, good old Kijang plus driver.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    city is so huge, it kind of depends what part of town he's staying in.
    very true. south south west. not far from Citos and ring road

Are you picking him up, or sluffing him off to Bluebird?
    picking him up, good old Kijang plus driver.
    Not sure how far the Shangri-La is from you, but I always like an upscale New York style night out at B.A.T.S. Lots of sweeties in there at the weekend.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ that's an idea, I dont know if its really like upscale new york, personally i find it a little intimidating similar to CM2 in bangkok, but the girls are much more aggressive.

however, it might be just right up MtD's alley....

I am in Jail

Last Online
    ^ that's an idea, I dont know if its really like upscale new york, personally i find it a little intimidating similar to CM2 in bangkok, but the girls are much more aggressive.

however, it might be just right up MtD's alley....
    Yeah, upscale was the wrong word. More like underground edgy, at least in terms of decor and music. You both might get a good laugh if the girls are aggresive. They do dress up nicely.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Actually its very pleasant to sit at the Hyatt consuming long island teas or G&T's as a pre dinner drinking overlooking this roundabout and intersection....

Central Jakarta: The Welcome Monument

HI roundabout with the Welcome
    Monument

by latte18

This 30-meter high statue of a man and a woman holding up a bouquet of flowers, was erected in 1962 to welcome the athletes participating in the Asian Games. Locally known as Bundaran HI (The HI Roundabout), it is located at the center of Jakarta's busiest roundabout, this most famous (and most beautiful IMHO) monument in Jakarta features a beautiful water feature that has recently seen a major renovation (at a major cost for taxpayers too). Surrounded by 4 major hotels, 3 embassies, and a shopping center, this landmark does not only draw tourists but also demonstrators from all over the country. Nevertheless, this spot is still a pleasant place to visit especially at night. Interestingly although the statue was intended to welcome athletes, the statue faces north. If we come from the airport or the sports complex, we come from the south
    Address: Jl MH Thamrin
    Directions: Central Jakarta

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    At least I don't need to start my own thread now.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^

stop moaning ya big oaf, ya know that your piccies and writing will be far better than any of this sludge that i manage to dredge up via google...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-11-2023 @ 06:03 AM
    Central Jakarta: The Welcome Monument

This 30-meter high statue of a man and a woman holding up a bouquet of flowers, was erected in 1962 to welcome the athletes participating in the Asian Games.
    Often referred to as "Hans & Greta" it is just one of the many horrible sculpturs erected by Sukharno at central Jakarta intersections. There is also the "Superman" and "the crazy waiter". I am sure KW knows them......

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteshiva
    There is also the "Superman" and "the crazy waiter". I am sure KW knows them......
    you mean the pizza man!? yep!

I'm thinking that MtD should spend his day researching and photographing these various sculptures...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-05-2013 @ 06:37 AM
    play golf?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ I have already told him that I'm not old enough to play golf.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ when do I eva listen??

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    erm, pack your raincoat matey, its been raining a bit, in fact it hasnt stopped all morning, I'm worried that this is gonna happen again...

Last edited by kingwilly; 01-02-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    but they have built up the retaining wall a little bit....

(all the better to channel the water faster towards my home, i suspect)

the below pics are all on the same street, in roughly the same area.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    the local news has now said that parts of Jkt already 1.5 metres under water, families being evacuated, international flights being diverted and airport is totally closed, 1000's of people already stranded....

Last Online
    Today @ 09:40 AM
    Take him to Blok M. Be sure and post pics.

The girls

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ if he makes it, I will!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    My travel agent says that because AirAsia hasn't contacted me, there isn't a problem. I'm not so sure.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Just phoned AirAsia and they said the flight will leave on time. That'll make a nice change.

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb
    Last Online
    16-06-2009 @ 09:54 AM
    But, the airport in Jakarta is closed, isn't it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information