Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @

Cha-laam - Ocean World

After the last movie we watched turned out to be a disaster, last night we decided to try Siam Paragon's Ocean World since I had a discount voucher. Ocean World is situated on the basement level.

Although the individual tickets are a tad pricey for one evening, I bought a one-year unlimited pass for ThB 1,200, and I have every intention of using it again.

The sharks, for me, were not the stars of the show. I have seen Sea world at San Diego and this isn't a patch. There are no swordfish or hammerheads here, but thankfully no performing dolphins either. In fact there are no dolphins at all, which is a strange omission for a place calling itself "Ocean World".

The real stars are the smaller exhibits such as the sea horses, the weird unclassified stuff, and also the giant Gruppa fish. There are some typically Thai exhibits involving plastic models better reserved for a home fish tank, and no shortage of silly food outlets. It is going to take a few more visits before someone summons up courage to go into the cave (ghosts live in caves apparently) but I don't think we missed much. There is also a Chevrolet SUV filled with water and fish. I have no idea why.

The otter display was ludicrous simply because the otters hid in the tree, but then what else would otters do in a tank?

In all this takes at least an hour to get around and can easily take two if you hang about for some of the feeding shows and a ride in the glass bottom boat. It is worth a visit but I have seen better, much better.

Last Online
    09-04-2024 @ 08:56 PM
    Good stuff Thorm !

We will have to get you SCUBA diving then you can be amongst all the stuff you have just been seeing

たのむよ。
    Last Online
    02-07-2021 @ 10:09 PM
    I did a shoot there in October - my client scuba dived with the sharks for his 40th b'day.

After I stayed and got some good footage of the 'unclassified' stuff and little sea dragons, clown fish and stuff.

Thormy you forgot to mention the gigantic slab of continuously refrigerated ice which supposedly contains a giant squid.

Can't really make out what it is through the useless opaque electricity eating block.
    "I'm an outsider by choice, but not truly. It's the unpleasantness of the system that keeps me out. I'd rather be in, in a good system. That's where my discontent comes from: being forced to choose to stay outside.
    My advice: Just keep movin' straight ahead. Every now and then you find yourself in a different place."

George Carlin

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Yes I did see that, it was alongside the unclassified stuff and I felt the exhibit could have been much better displayed.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I took the kids a year or so back, complete waste of time compared with the others thay have seen in NZ and Sea world in OZ. As pointed out you wonder what the hell they bother with a couple of the so called "exhibits". Useless.

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    I have been scuba diving off Eilat, twenty years ago, but at almost 53 yrs I won't be doing it again. Snorkelling maybe.

For adults this is interesting, but it is children who seem to get most out of it.

たのむよ。
    Last Online
    02-07-2021 @ 10:09 PM
    In it's defence - I think scuba diving with sharks beneath a Maserati Showroom and a department store is something unique.

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    In fact it did occur to me that the sleep-overs for children were a remarkable idea. I wonder if they get many takers.

There is a website:

http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/

This reminds me, the sea turtles were a fair spectacle too.

Apparently you can listen to penguins singing on the website although penguins are something else they don't have...this one does Elvis Costello for a few fish:

Last edited by Thormaturge; 20-01-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added website link

Last Online
    22-08-2012 @ 02:25 PM
    They had pingos when I was there in Nov. 2006. And, the Chevy wasn't a SUV then, was an Optra station wagon.

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    OK a station wagon. Americans, I dunno. Like I took that much notice.

As for penguins, did they move? I saw lots of plastic ones.

RIP
    Last Online
    31-01-2011 @ 09:29 PM
    Have been to a few of these things and the one I enjoyed most was not the biggest or the most spectacular but one with a modest "underwater tunnel" well kept aquariums , healthy looking fish, information boards and free leaflets in several foreign languages, helpful staff/ guides and the equivalent of 1$US entrance fee !
    Where was it ??
    A green for the first correct answer

2 clues

Out here in the East
    On an island

E.G not eligible for entry cos I told him all about it when I got back and he might remember ( I doubt it though )

Last Online

Yes, they moved. They were just behind the Chevy.

Sorry about the bad pics, 'look sao' took them.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
    Have been to a few of these things and the one I enjoyed most was not the biggest or the most spectacular but one with a modest "underwater tunnel" well kept aquariums , healthy looking fish, information boards and free leaflets in several foreign languages, helpful staff/ guides and the equivalent of 1$US entrance fee !
    Where was it ??

2 clues

Out here in the East
    On an island

E.G not eligible for entry cos I told him all about it when I got back and he might remember ( I doubt it though )
    Ocean Park, Hong Kong?

RIP
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BosseO View Post
    Where was it ??

2 clues

Out here in the East
    On an island

Ocean Park, Hong Kong?
    sorry! wrong ! Nice try though Look East young man !

Last Online
    Haven't been to any aquarium East of Hong Kong, so I'm out.

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    ^^^
    Now I have a free pass I'll have to get in there and take another look. I wasn't feeling so well so we did whisk around a bit, but I am sure I would have noticed penguins.

Better pics than mine. Good phone, shit camera.

Not an expat
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    I really liked that place. I think we spend more than two hours there.

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    But did you see any penguins?

RIP
    Last Online
    Where was it ??

2 clues

Out here in the East
    On an island
    Totally underwhelmed by the response so I will tell you and give myself a green ( can I do that)

The place is the island fortress and old Chinese foreign treaty/ concession port of Xaimen ( old name Amoy).
    Beautifiul place
    Old embassy/consulate buildings, houses etc
    No cars allowed on the island

Get it on Google Earth for some nice pictures !
    Mainly with Chinese captions but give it a go ! j
    Last edited by Happyman; 22-01-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2017 @ 03:32 PM
    Where was it ??

2 clues

Out here in the East
    On an island

Flock you! You never told me nuddin.... musta been pissed out of your skull on Mekong.

E. G.

RIP
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gibbon View Post
    Where was it ??

2 clues

Out here in the East
    On an island

Flock you! You never told me nuddin.... musta been pissed out of your skull on Mekong.

E. G.
    Sorry Dear boy You are undoubtedly correct .
    You may well recall I used to go into "wind down" mode after a trip !

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    17-12-2010 @ 12:06 PM
    Been to Ocean World a few times, under protest after the first, and much like most other Thai attractions see it as a quaint and pricey couple of hours.

Still, worth a visit if you're in town with nothing to do for an afternoon, or if you've gone and forked out 1,200 for a season ticket...

Not an expat
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge View Post
    ^
    But did you see any penguins?
    I am not sure but I think so. I only know for sure there were people dancing in shark and jellyfish costumes at the entrance.

Tax Consultant
    Last Online
    @
    OK on a return visit today we spotted the penguins. My excuses for not noticing them before are:

A) They are directly opposite the sea turtles which are fascinating;
    B) They are small African penguins that grow no larger than 60cms;
    C) There are twice as many larger plastic penguins;
    D) The real penguins barely move, although one did flinch;
    E) The real penguins were all standing to attention in holes in their tank.

Apparently there are even smaller penguins than these, and the smallest of all are the Australian Fairy penguins.

RIP
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge View Post
    OK on a return visit today we spotted the penguins. My excuses for not noticing them before are:

A) They are directly opposite the sea turtles which are fascinating;
    B) They are small African penguins that grow no larger than 60cms;
    C) There are twice as many larger plastic penguins;
    D) The real penguins barely move, although one did flinch;
    E) The real penguins were all standing to attention in holes in their tank.

Apparently there are even smaller penguins than these, and the smallest of all are the Australian Fairy penguins.
    We used to have herds of little Humbolt penguins infesting the mine site in Peru(Guano= fossilised bird shit!) They were fun to watch but a bit noisy and smelly - but thats what the locals said about us as well - so what the shit !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information