R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Thaksin’s Backstage Show

THAKSIN’S BACKSTAGE SHOW: Traffic police shrug off helmet violation
    Published on January 19, 2006
    Roi Et Traffic Police officers yesterday shrugged off criticism that they failed to take action against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, claiming the ban is stringently enforced in the province’s urban areas.
    For their part, central Traffic Police officials appeared to be afraid to comment on the issue, trying instead to turn the tables by accusing the media of being too keen to find fault with the premier, who is on an antipoverty tour of the northeastern province.
    Thaksin and his entourage did not wear the legally required helmets while riding motorbikes in Roi Et’s At Samat district on Tuesday. Thaksin later came under fire for flouting the regulation. None of the Traffic Police officers questioned seemed to care enough to pull the premier over on the day.
    Highway Police commander Major Suwira Songmetta would not be drawn on the premier’s failing to don a helmet, saying the purpose of the premier’s visit was the more important issue.
    “I believe he [the premier] wanted to be close to the people, thinking it was a short ride, not a long-distance ride.
    We must consider that he was on a trip to resolve the poverty issue – that is what the media should be covering. It is not appropriate for the media to cover a trivial matter like this,” he said.
    However, At Samat district Traffic Police inspector Maj Thertsak Pheeraphan said that by riding a motorcycle without a helmet the premier was guilty of breaking a traffic regulation enforced nationwide. He said enforcement of this regulation was especially strict in Roi Et’s urban Muang district.
    In the rural districts, a campaign to observe the law more closely was also being implemented, he said.
    If a resident were caught riding a motorbike without a helmet they would be guilty of an offence and the prime minister shouldn’t be an exception, he said.
    “It would set a bad example if public figures flouted the law. Society would descend into chaos if people did as they pleased.”
    Central Traffic Police commander Maj-General Phanu Kertlapphon refused to comment on the issue.
    Budsarakham Sinlapalavan The Nation

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Make him pay 100B, I used to have to pay that damn money on a weekly basis even if I had a helmet on.

Northern Hermit
    Last Online
    @
    on a trip to resolve the poverty issue
    I get pulled over without a helmet I'm gonna use that one!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    They also caught him on the first night using "rejuvenating" cream on his face when he retired at 10:00. " I have a lot of wrinkles from this difficult job and need to take care of my skin." He was quoted as saying.

Thread Information