Thailand Expat

Last Online
    04-06-2013 @ 09:51 AM

Khorat Immigration

I just want to sound off about the woman Supervisor in Khorat Immigration.
    I want to open an Offshore Bank Account in the UK. To confirm that I am who I am they want a photo copy of my passport with British Embassy stamp confirming it to be a true copy. Due to where I live that would result in a 2 day trip and a stop over. I explained this to the bank and they said as long as it's stamped by a Thai Government agent they'd accept. So off to Khorat, a nightmare of a journey in it's self, to the Immigration office. To cut it short, the officer I spoke to, would stamp it but went to confirm it with his superior. She said no and when I asked why she just said because nobody has ever asked them to do this before. So I then said 'I'll pay for the service'. It didn't make a heap of differance. I really want to sound off but it'll make no difference so BOLLOCKS to her and all other Thais that hold power over Farangs.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Try the local police station.
    You want the copy certified, not the passport certified so it should be acceptable to both parties.
    Might need to donate a bottle is something

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Oldboy I'm just not sure why you're so upset. Why do you think it's an Immigration function to certify a photocopy? You don't go in to a supermarket and ask them to build you a brick wall, right?

Those of us who deal with the Korat Immigration Office on a regular basis find the people who work there to be friendly, efficient, helpful and anxious to have a good time with their customers.

I think that your complaint about their reaction to your out-of-the-ordinary request is both unfair and uncalled for.

Sorry.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by buad hai View Post
    Oldboy I'm just not sure why you're so upset. Why do you think it's an Immigration function to certify a photocopy? You don't go in to a supermarket and ask them to build you a brick wall, right?

Those of us who deal with the Korat Immigration Office on a regular basis find the people who work there to be friendly, efficient, helpful and anxious to have a good time with their customers.

I think that your complaint about their reaction to your out-of-the-ordinary request is both unfair and uncalled for.

Sorry.
    I'm upset in that they are a Government agency put there to aid and assist Farang, not hinder them. If I want a brick wall built I go to a builders not a supermarket and if I need a stamp from a Government Agency, Thailand Immigration would seem the best place to start. It's not a big deal to put an official Immigration stamp on a copy of a passport is it ? They know where I live and obviously take great delight in saying no to a simple request knowing it's going to piss Farang off. But I didn't show any sign of disappointment or anger which must have pissed her off more than I was.
    These people in Khorat were originally based in Chong Chom and their attitude doesn't seem to have been left there. They were as difficult there as they are now. I'm talking mainly about the supervisor. She was a cnut there and is still one in Khorat. Okay if you think they're friendly and helpful go and ask them to varify a copy of a your passport and see if your perception of them remains the same ? When I first went to Chong Chom this said supervisor was going to refuse my visa extention based soley on that Immigration at the airport had put their visa stamps upside down in my passport.
    As much as Thais are passive people even my wife was calling this woman names. Which shows how bad things are.
    Last edited by Ivor Biggun; 07-09-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    30-08-2011 @ 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboy View Post

Sorry.
    I'm upset in that they are a Government agency put there to aid and assist Farang, not hinder them. If I want a brick wall built I go to a builders not a supermarket and if I need a stamp from a Government Agency, Thailand Immigration would seem the best place to start.
    These people in Khorat were originally based in Chong Chom and their attitude doesn't seem to have been left there. They were as difficult there as they are now. I'm talking mainly about the supervisor. She was a cnut there and is still one in Khorat. Okay if you think they're friendly and helpful go and ask them to varify a copy of a your passport and see if your persception of them remains the same ?
    As much as Thais are passive people even my wife was calling this woman names. Which shows how bad things are.
    Since when is it the responsibility of the Thai Government to verify the passport of another country. If you want it verified, go to your embassy.

As already stated - the people who work in Khorat Imm. Off. are the best I have ever seen and very easy to get along with.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by ceburat
    Since when is it the responsibility of the Thai Government to verify the passport of another country. If you want it verified, go to your embassy.
    No they are not verifying the passport . They are verifying that it is a true copy of his passport.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboy
    I'm upset in that they are a Government agency put there to aid and assist Farang, not hinder them. If I want a brick wall built I go to a builders not a supermarket and if I need a stamp from a Government Agency, Thailand Immigration would seem the best place to start.
    Why? Because it is a copy of a passport?
    It is irrelevant what it is a copy of, if you want it verified you go to either a public notary or to your own embassy.

Last Online
    @
    ^ Exactly which is why I said go to the police station.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ceburat
    No they are not verifying the passport . They are verifying that it is a true copy of his passport.
    I never said it was the responsibility of the Thai Government or agencies to varify my passport. You're stating things I never said and obviously out to try and wind me up but sorry you aint succeding.
    Out of sheer kindness immigration will not assist. As my wife says "Thais just do not like helping Farangs, they like to see them squirm". Before we met I'm 100% sure she would never have said this.
    I have fell at the first hurdle and now will try the police who I'm sure they will be more cooperative. Thank for all your comments and advice.
    What's a public notary lom ?

Last Online
    @
    I had a similar problem once.

I tried to get my bank to verify a copy of my passport.
    They refused to do it. They just didn't understand what it was for or that they were verifying the copy and not the passport.

In the end I got my insurance company (AIG) to sign it and add the all important rubber stamp. Doubt if that will work for you though because they have stipulated a government agency.

Last Online
    @
    What's a public notary lom ?
    Notary public - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last Online
    @
    Oldboy, check with one of the bigger law firms in Khorat if they are notary approved. Surely there must be at least one there.

Hopefully William or Sebastian will read this thread and give you a recommendation of a law firm.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    It's not a big deal to put an official Immigration stamp on a copy of a passport is it ?
    I used to manage a government office. My budget, including staff, supplies and equipment, was based on how much measurable work we did. While you like to be able to help people out, you'd be a fool to start offering services for which you receive no financing. It's a waste of your time and a waste of the time of the people who are there to receive the services the office exists to deliver.

If I were in the office manager's position I'd be thinking that, yeah, I'd like to be able to help this guy, but if I do it for one farang today they'll be ten more next week and it will never stop.

...they are a Government agency put there to aid and assist Farang
    You're incredibly naive if you really believe this. They are there to administer the Immigration laws of Thailand. That's it.

Last Online
    @
    Not only that BH, but it's not part of what they are educated to do,
    so they are not able to understand what consequences it could bring.

They are in a no-win situation..

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    It's not a big deal to put an official Immigration stamp on a copy of a passport is it ?
    I used to manage a government office. My budget, including staff, supplies and equipment, was based on how much measurable work we did. While you like to be able to help people out, you'd be a fool to start offering services for which you receive no financing. It's a waste of your time and a waste of the time of the people who are there to receive the services the office exists to deliver.

If I were in the office manager's position I'd be thinking that, yeah, I'd like to be able to help this guy, but if I do it for one farang today they'll be ten more next week and it will never stop.

...they are a Government agency put there to aid and assist Farang
    You're incredibly naive if you really believe this. They are there to administer the Immigration laws of Thailand. That's it.
    I understand what you say and if you re-read my original thread you will see I offered to pay for the service. They declined this offer, sorry the superintendant did, the officer who I originally spoke to said he would but she over ruled him.
    Went to local police station today, they said they'd sign but didn't have any Thai police stamps. Phoned a border Immigration office and got confirmation that they will sort out for me. Without being disrespectful, to the people who've tried to assist, I don't think you live out in the countryside do you ? Finding a notable firm isn't as easy as it is for you people in the big cities. Here where I live is like living in the mediaeval age.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    I offered to pay for the service.
    They have no way of accounting for payment for a service they don't offer. So, they had the choice of declining or accepting your payment as a bribe. I think they did the right thing.

You chose to live in the countryside so you need to figure out how to deal with it.

I spent most of my adult life on a third world island where nothing was easy, so don't try to tell me what living in the "countryside" is like.

Been there, done that. Figured out how to deal with it a long, long time ago.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    I offered to pay for the service.
    They have no way of accounting for payment for a service they don't offer. So, they had the choice of declining or accepting your payment as a bribe. I think they did the right thing.

You chose to live in the countryside so you need to figure out how to deal with it.

I spent most of my adult life on a third world island where nothing was easy, so don't try to tell me what living in the "countryside" is like.

Been there, done that. Figured out how to deal with it a long, long time ago.
    I'm not trying to tell you what living in the countryside is like. I was just explaining how life is here I wasn't trying to educate anyone, let alone you.
    If there's no way of accounting for payment they don't offer then why will they provide that service at a different Immigration office ? Whether free or fee payable , I've yet to find out. Not a problem.
    Nearly forgot, congratulations on finding a way to deal with it, you must be very proud of yourself, go to the top of the class.

RIP
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Wonder why ANT ain't signed in on this and given his ideas, he always has some, at least snide remarks.

Mea-Culpa
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 03:57 AM
    I never had any problems with Korat Immigration, when I made my work-permit, they helped with everything, even papers there was not excatly right, and in the end I had to pay 5000 baht in there coffe pot, and I left with a big smile on my face.

Regards

Dalton

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    It's not all at Khorat Immigration, it just happens to be one individual and she was just as awkward when she was at Kapchoeng. I got what she refused me in Khorat at a different office today. No problems encountered.

Mea-Culpa
    Last Online
    It's not all at Khorat Immigration, it just happens to be one individual and she was just as awkward when she was at Kapchoeng. I got what she refused me in Khorat at a different office today. No problems encountered.
    Would it happen to be your ex-wife, sounds like hate to me ???

Regards

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    I've never spoke to the woman let alone been married to it. It's her mannerism and how she talks to people. At Kapchoeng I watch a French Canadian having to be restrained because of her. I believe she has a farang surname. Possibly married to a farang or a throw back ?

Mea-Culpa
    Last Online
    I've never spoke to the woman let alone been married to it. It's her mannerism and how she talks to people. At Kapchoeng I watch a French Canadian having to be restrained because of her. I believe she has a farang surname. Possibly married to a farang or a throw back ?
    Nope, she is not married to a farang, her great-grandfather was a farang, she was the one who did my case, so I talked quite a lot with her, she was nice enough towards me, but I'm also a handsome S.O.B.
    Maybe you guys need to take a valium or two before going in there.

Regards.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Thanks for clarriying that Dalton. Like you I have the looks and can only put it down to her being jealous of my wife in how lucky she is. Perhaps I'll go on my own next time and flutter my eyelids at her.

Mea-Culpa
    Last Online
    Thanks for clarriying that Dalton. Like you I have the looks and can only put it down to her being jealous of my wife in how lucky she is. Perhaps I'll go on my own next time and flutter my eyelids at her.

You got it, leave the wife home next time...

Regards

Thread Information