Thread: Bangkok

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Bangkok

as know one has done a write up on BKK I have taken it upon myself to steal this article which tells ppl about BKK.

WORLD CITIES SURVEY: Quality of life slipping in Bangkok
    Published on Jun 27 , 2005

Worsening traffic and crime push city's rating down to 106th out of 215

Traffic jams and an increasing crime rate have caused Bangkok to fall from last year's 102nd spot to 106th this year in a global quality of life survey by an international consulting firm, a senior official said yesterday.

National Economic and Social Development Board deputy secretary-general Kitisak Sinthuvanich said the UK-based Mercer Human Resource Consulting published its research on quality of life in 215 cities worldwide in March and Bangkok was ranked 106th, falling from the last year's 102nd spot.

Kitisak made the comments at a forum called "Bangkok Healthy City: Who has the answer?" yesterday at the National Economic and Social Development Board's headquarters

Mercer's analysis was based on an evaluation of 39 quality of life criteria, including political, social, economic, and environmental factors, personal safety and health, education, transport and other public services.

The Swiss cities of Geneva

and Zurich offer the best quality of life, according to the survey.

Singapore ranked highest in Asia at 34th, followed by Japan's Tokyo and Yokohama at 35th and 36th respectively, and Malaysia's Kuala Lumpur at 75th.

Bangkok's traffic jams were so bad that travelling during rush hours could be as slow as 16.6km per hour, said Kitisak, and traffic jams were a national problem causing economic, social and environmental losses.

Spending almost three hours daily on air-polluted roads because of traffic jams, 44.6 per cent of Bangkokians suffered

respiratory diseases, he said.

And the city's lung space is small, rating 2.24 square metres per person - much lower than the international standard of 10 square metres per person.

Bangkok's crime rate was almost twice the rate of the whole country, Kitisak said - there were 384 cases per 100,000 population in 2004, while from January to March this year there were 11,124 criminal cases.

However, at the same time, there were only 1,739 narcotics-related cases, compared with 51,100 in the previous year.

Considering family relations among Bangkokians, the divorce rate increased from 1.18 couples per 1,000 people in 1994, to 2.38 couples per 1,000 in 2003, said Kitisak.

Mental health was another worrying issue, because there were 5,485 mentally disturbed patients per 100,000 people in 2004, he added.
    linky

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    I like it.

Aspiring Guru
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I like it.
    err...............the article or Bangkok?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Err, Bangkok, Feckwit!

Thread Information