Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Khon Kaen

RIP
    Last Online
    08-09-2010 @ 02:48 PM
    Runcorn, Cheshire, UK formerly Epsom Surrey.

Khon Kaen

In my journeys to Thailand my first stop is now Khon Kaen. From arrival in Bangkok it is straight on to the first domestic flight to Khon Kaen that I can get. From Bangkok there are 3 flights a day by Thai Airways at 0645, 1300 and 1915 hrs. For me it is normally a nights recuperation from the flight and then off to Loei, and then again a night before I fly back to the UK. As I have been to the city many times, I've never really looked around the town so this time was determined to do so.

A brief potted history of Khon Kaen shamelessly stolen from various sites on the web. It is the second largest of the North Eastern Provinces and the 4th largest city in Thailand. Located in the heart of the Korat Plateau with the Chi River running throughout the Province. Often described as the Gateway to Isaan it is a relatively a new city having been established in 1783 when RAJAKRULUANG settled with 330 people. King RAMA 1 made him the first governor of the area, the city was moved 6 times until 1879 until it reached its modern location, and is now the Administration centre. It is also the centre of the North East silk industry and a week long silk fair is hosted in the city early December.

The above is a view looking towards the Admin Centre where the silk fair is held.

Looking South from the hotel. Visibility was not good when this picture was taken. Some better ones to follow later.

There are two bus terminals in the city, the A/c and the Non A/c terminal. The next picture shows the bedlam around the non a/c terminal

Hopefully members living around the area can add pictures and comments to this thread. Much more to follow.

Mods if this needs to be in the North East forum, please move as I was uncertain as to which one

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-11-2013 @ 02:53 PM
    More pics Prop. I'm up there for Songkran.

Not an expat
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Which hotel have you been?

I have been in Khon Kaen many times but unfortunately never bothered to make pictures.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2017 @ 03:32 PM
    There is a triangular park behind a shopping mall that is a terrific spot for some eats and a beer. Sorry but I don't recall the name of the soi or the nearby buildings. There is a big hotel and just below it another that is accessed through a stairway. This second hotel has a superior soapy place.

Just outside is this beer garden in a park.. The food is first class and the beer girls are NICE.

Live Thai music, at least while we were there, not far from Steve's?????

Worth a look and see if you can find it..

E. G.

EDIT: I think the name of the hotel is Charoen Princess or similar.
    Last edited by El Gibbon; 07-03-2007 at 08:08 PM.
    "If you can't stand the answer --
    Don't ask the question!"

RIP
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gibbon
    EDIT: I think the name of the hotel is Charoen Princess or similar.
    From your description it seems like near to the Kosa.

Well you have now arrived in Khon Kaen and probably the first thing that you want to do is find somewhere to lay your weary head, maybe after a couple of beers first.

The three main hotels are

Charoen Thani Princess -4 star
    Khon Kaen Hotels: Charoen Thani Princess Khon Kaen Official Site, Luxury Hotel in Khon Kaen

Sofitel Raja Orchid - 5star
    Hotel Sofitel Raja Orchid Khon Kaen - Luxury Hotel KHON KAEN - Official Web Site

Kosa Hotel
    Kosa Hotel Khon Kaen - Special Internet Rates at HotelClub

Two medium hotels are the Khon Kaen Hotel and the Kaen Inn.

The Khon Kaen Hotel

As the web site for this appears to be down info from Hotel Thailand
    Khon Kaen Hotels - Khon Kaen Hotel, Spcial rates for internet users!,

The Kaen Inn is the one that I have always used

I find this quite a pleasant hotel. The rooms are clean with A/c, fridge, TV and ample wardrobe space. Only twin beds though. The staff are friendly and there is ample car parking space. On my last visit I was charged 650 Baht per night incl ABF, and this was walk in rate, but have noticed that some of the hotel booking sites are quoting over 1000 baht.
    There is a coffee shop, restaurant,barbers shop, massage, snooker room,and of course kharioke rooms. Usually Thai singers in the restaurant in the evenings. Never had an evening meal at the hotel as I prefer to go out, tried the massage which was OK but couldn't find out if extras were provided as the g/f was with me.!! Again the link is from Hotel Thailand
    Khon Kaen Hotels - Kaen Inn Hotel, Spcial rates for internet users!,

Some photos of the place, should have more but cant locate them yet.

Girls singing in the restaurant

View of the Chareon Thani Princess hotel from the room of Kaen Inn

Working on Ice statues for the table decoration

A word of warning about the breakfast, if the hotel is busy then a buffet breakfast is done in the morning and it is crap, OK if you only want coffee and toast. If its not to busy then breakfast is cooked to order and is then good

There are also many other smaller hotels and guesthouse and I hope that other members will post on any that they have stayed in in Khon Kaen.
    Last edited by Propagator; 08-03-2007 at 02:21 AM.

ding ding ding
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Propagator
    Often described as the Gateway to Isaan
    mmmmm, never heard it called that, Korat is normally referred to as the Isaan gateway and maybe AC can comment on that?

the 4th largest city in Thailand
    Khon Kaen is about number 8 or 9, Bangkok, Pattaya, Chang Mai and Udon Thani are all bigger.
    One on KK's great assets is that nothing is nore than 10 mins drive/ride away with relatively no traffic problems barring peak times.

A great place to live, locals always make you feel welcome, it's dirt cheap for everything and there's plenty of low milage eye candy to enjoy
    Originally Posted by Smeg
    ... I like to fantasise sometimes, and I lie very occasionally... my superior home, job, wealth, freedom, car, girl, retirement age, appearance, satisfaction with birth country etc etc... Over the past few years I have put together over 100 pages on notes on thaiophilia...

Last Online
    12-04-2015 @ 12:28 AM
    What's the nightlife like?

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    I hope that other members will post on any that they have stayed in in Khon Kaen.
    A delapidated room on the 6th floor somewhere near the bus terminal, can't remember the name, 150 bt I think it was.

Not an expat
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    I recommend the Charoen Thani Princess, very good value for money. And a karaoke in house which will be important for our members I am sure.

Last Online
    11-01-2014 @ 07:52 PM
    great photos txs for your efforts..

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2023 @ 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter
    Khon Kaen is about number 8 or 9, Bangkok, Pattaya, Chang Mai and Udon Thani are all bigger.
    One on KK's great assets is that nothing is nore than 10 mins drive/ride away with relatively no traffic problems barring peak times.
    Khon Kaen province is the 4th largest by population the city is only 9th. Pattaya is only rated as 11th although this would probaly be people registered there.

List of cities in Thailand by population

List of provinces of Thailand by population

RIP
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
    What's the nightlife like?
    Depends on how you classify the nightlife. If you are looking for girlie bars as in Pattaya and Phuket etc I've not found them, but have been told that there are a couple around, but to be honest I have not really looked for them yet.

There are 4 Farang bars that I know of. These are Eric's Ex Pat Bar, No 1 Bar, Sevens Corner and Cheap Charlies, there is also another a few shops down from Erics. I have had a few drinks in all but No 1 Bar and Erics Bar has always been the friendliest, so this is my bar of choice when I visit Khon Kaen.

Most of the hotels have something going on in the evening and there are a few discos, but being the old fart that I am, the disco scene is not my type of entertainment any more. There is a disco opposite Erics Bar and its nice to sit there and watch the eye candy going in. Just as good during the day as well.

Erics Bar -http://www.ericsbar-khonkaen.com/

Situated between the Kosa and Sofitel hotels. Run and owned by Duncan and his Thai wife. Not a big place but as said before very friendly. Nice staff always willing to help. 70 baht for a large Leo. It gets a mixed bunch of Ex Pats whom I have always found willing to have a chat and offer advice if asked for. Opens about 9am and will close any time from 11pm depending on customers. A few photos of the place:-

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2017 @ 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomChances View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter
    Khon Kaen province is the 4th largest by population the city is only 9th. Pattaya is only rated as 11th although this would probaly be people registered there.

List of cities in Thailand by population

List of provinces of Thailand by population
    Now you know why I like it here. Chantaburi city isn't listed in the top 25 and Chantaburi province is listed as 49th...

BTW I hear it is against the law in this province to open any factory that doesn't directly deal with agriculture/aquaculture. Seems the local folks are determined to keep it rural.

E. G.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-11-2013 @ 02:53 PM
    Excellent Prop. Eric's Bar it will be if the in-laws piss me off though I might take Mrs C's dad there if he leaves his gun in the village, of course.

ding ding ding
    Last Online
    @
    The farang bars in Khon Kaen do seem to have trouble hiring attractive staff.
    I dont recall seeing more than a 7/10 working in any of them in over 2 years.

RIP
    Last Online
    ^ Have to agree with you.

This place is worth a mention. It is the nightclub at the Khon Kaen Hotel. Don't open until about 9 or 9.30 pm, no entrance charge and large Leo again at 70 Baht. You can also get a meal there if wanted.

Live Band

They are not bad and then you have the girls signing. The music is a mixture of Thai and Farang about 50/50, with more Pop as the evening gets later - couple of the girls had good voices. Also a fair size dance floor.

A Couple of the singers were Mutton dressed as Lamb but on the whole quite a good evenings entertaiment.

From what I understand these girls will also dance with you if you feel so inclined, also will come and sit with you. One way to do this, if you like their singing it to attract one of the waiters, either wave like hell or hold your lit lighter in the air. Tell him to take two or three garlands over to the girl whilst she is singing (they only cost 10 baht each). She then will come over and talk with you, from conversation with this girl I do understand that they are available for extra curricula activities ie horizontal bed gymnastics but not until after the club closes. No idea of the price as couldn't discuss this as I already had someone with me. The cost for this evening for 4 large Leos, plate of hot roasted cashews, drink for the singer and garlands was 450 Baht including a tip for the waitress. Very reasonable I thought.

This was the singer I called over

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    11-04-2024 @ 04:39 PM
    ^So, what was she like prop?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Yep Prop, Definitely Mutton
    Excellent thread BTW, I enjoy anothers perspective on places I have been to. I was hoping Rigger was going to show me around, but he's cleared off for a while, getting a new handbag I imagine.

better looking than Ned
    Last Online
    17-01-2018 @ 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    I was hoping Rigger was going to show me around, but he's cleared off for a while, getting a new handbag I imagine.
    Well I will come and pick you up one day just let me know when visting hour are at the Old folks home and what time I have to have you back by

Last Online
    @
    The Charoen was OK but not great when I stayed there. Good views of the city. They have a disco but I didn't go in so can't comment on it. Khon Kaen University is huge and spread out with lots of trees.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigger View Post
    I was hoping Rigger was going to show me around, but he's cleared off for a while, getting a new handbag I imagine.
    Well I will come and pick you up one day just let me know when visting hour are at the Old folks home and what time I have to have you back by
    Ok mate, its a deal, I reside at the old persons home, on the ring road just after the (nearly) an over pass.
    Plse don't come on a Harley tho'.
    I really dont want the other old codgers thinking I have a gayboy friend.
    There can’t be good living where there is not good drinking

better looking than Ned
    Last Online
    17-01-2018 @ 12:27 PM
    I really dont want the other old codgers thinking I have a gayboy friend
    So guess my butt less chaps are out as well

ding ding ding
    Last Online
    @
    ^ What are we gonna do with you 2?

RIP
    Last Online
    Eating out in Khon Kaen

Obviously being a big city there are plenty of restaurants and eateries. I have only used one place regularly where I have found that the food is good and reasonably priced. The g/f who is not adverse to sending food back when not cooked properly, will now not eat anywhere else when we are in Khon Kaen.

The restaurant is the 'Sorrento' located on Klangmuang Road beside the Roma Hotel. Most evenings there is a live band playing a mixture of Thai and Western songs. They open at 9am through to about 1am. Always seems busy in the evenings. Anyway a few pictures

Battered prawns

The Band

One of the friendly waitresses

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    I went with TV3 a few years ago for songkran...we stayed at Sofitel...then it was 800 baht for a room...gotta be the best-kept secret in Thailand...

also it's the only Sofitel in the world with a hostess bar - a la Suk 33 - on the premises...go to the basement and you'll find a sparkling array of moisties who will happily accompany you to your room...you can even charge it to your room bill!..

because it was songkran they closed off Khaonioa Road for a three day water party...one time was enough...

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information