R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Pattaya will bring tradition back to Songkran

Culture Street will bring tradition back to Songkran
    Narisa Nitikarn
    Promoting authentic Thai culture is to be the aim of the festivities surrounding the Thai New Year, Songkran, in April.
    Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay chaired a meeting of the administrative board of the Chonburi Cultural Council on February 8, with chairman Suan Phanomwattanakul present, to discuss the proposed Culture Street to be held during Songkran.
    The event will be staged at Chonburi April 7 to 15 and at Bali Hai Pier April 11 to 19.
    Verawat said that Pattaya District Office would be happy to fully cooperate with the Culture Street festival with the aim of celebrating Songkran in the traditional manner, unlike previous years when it has been celebrated violently.
    The next step is to campaign among the public, especially among the young on how to pour water and request blessings from elders and preserve the fine traditions.
    The opening ceremony at Bali Hai Pier will be held on April 12 at 5 p.m., when there will be a colorful five-region cultural parade, representing the cultures of Central Region, the North, South, Issan and East. There will also be a parade to celebrate the cultures of Pattaya’s diverse foreign community.
    Verawat said that the event is being organized during the time that Naklua and Pattaya celebrate wan lai (water pouring), when tourists from all around the country will be attending in great numbers.
    Suan said that Culture Street has received two 500,000 baht budgets from Chonburi Provincial Administration to stage the event in Chonburi and Pattaya. However, meetings on the organization of both the Culture Streets will be held between sub-committees in order that each district can independently submit the format of their parades.

Pattaya Mail

The Pikey Hunter
    Last Online
    @
    right.......

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Culture Street?
    I wonder where that is.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang
    Culture Street? I wonder where that is.
    walking street of course...it's pattaya after all...

ding ding ding
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Promoting authentic Thai culture is to be the aim of the festivities
    LOL

unlike previous years when it has been celebrated violently.
    LOL

campaign among the public, especially among the young on how to pour water
    LOL

a parade to celebrate the cultures of Pattaya’s diverse foreign community.
    Biggest LOL

Last Online
    30-12-2007 @ 01:44 AM
    It may not work, but I think it's a worthwhile sentiment. Thais are attempting to preserve their culture, and Songkran is a good place to start. The way people "honor" this holiday is an embarassment to those who hold Thai culture dear.

It's been warped and bastardized so badly the locals don't have an idea or don't care about the proper way to celebrate it.

I hope the local authorites succeed. It's not supposed to be an out of control water fight.
    I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble. Augustus Caesar

Thread Information