Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Posts
    60,520

    Britain going to hell in a handbasket, #2,149,623

    The fucking cheek.... I wouldn't even give the c**ts TV.

    Inmates complain over lack of TV sports channels

    By Benjamin Wright

    Tuesday, 27 September 2011





    Inmates at a jail in South Wales have lodged a formal complaint with the prison authorities - because they want more sports channels on TV.


    Prisoners at the Category B HMP Parc in Bridgend currently have access to Sky Sports 1 as a reward for "sustained good behaviour".


    But the perk is not enough, according to reports, with criminals unhappy that they do not get Sky Sports 2 and 3 - which meant they missed out on Brighton's game against Liverpool in the Carling Cup last Wednesday.


    The inmates' complaint to officials has been branded ridiculous by Conservative MP David Davies - who stressed that many people outside of prison could not afford the channels.


    Mr Davies, MP for Monmouth, said: "I am aghast we are paying for prisoners to watch Sky TV. What next? Will prisoners be given a box at the Millennium Stadium for rugby matches?


    "People should not be put in prison to spend their days watching expensive satellite packages. They should be educated and learn skills for their rehabilitation when they come out.


    "It beggars belief they are complaining about this - I haven't even got Sky Sports myself."


    Sky charges premises such as prisons around 100 a month for the Sky Sports One package - with an upgrade to the full choice of channels costing a further 78 a month.


    For a private house which already has Sky TV, adding the Sky Sports Pack with all channels costs 20 extra a month.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    ah, you're a hard man 'arry.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    Governments use professional sports to placate and occupy normal citizens, why not do the same with inmates? Regardless of whether or not they deserve it, if they are mindlessly occupied while watching some silly sports match, they are not causing any problems. For that reason, and that reason only the money might be well spent.

  4. #4
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Posts
    60,520
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Governments use professional sports to placate and occupy normal citizens, why not do the same with inmates? Regardless of whether or not they deserve it, if they are mindlessly occupied while watching some silly sports match, they are not causing any problems. For that reason, and that reason only the money might be well spent.
    Fuck the carrot, use the stick I say.

  5. #5
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Posts
    60,520
    Fuck the carrot, use the stick I say.
    Ooh, that sounds like something Butters would say.


  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,807
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    why not do the same with inmates
    They might buy less drugs from the warders.
    Last edited by sabang; 27-09-2011 at 04:27 PM.

  7. #7
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,531
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Governments use professional sports to placate and occupy normal citizens,
    You're mental.

    But seriously, they should be only allowed to watch endless reruns of porridge to see how prison should be.

  8. #8
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR
    For that reason, and that reason only the money might be well spent.
    Better to spend it on some rope.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    You're mental. But seriously, they should be only allowed to watch endless reruns of porridge to see how prison should be.


    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    Prisoners at the Category B HMP Parc in Bridgend currently have access to Sky Sports 1 as a reward for "sustained good behaviour".
    no he is not mental, that is exactly the reason they have the channel

  10. #10
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,531
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    You're mental. But seriously, they should be only allowed to watch endless reruns of porridge to see how prison should be.


    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    Prisoners at the Category B HMP Parc in Bridgend currently have access to Sky Sports 1 as a reward for "sustained good behaviour".
    no he is not mental, that is exactly the reason they have the channel
    I meant about governments using it to placate and occupy normal citizens.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Governments use professional sports to placate and occupy normal citizens, why not do the same with inmates? Regardless of whether or not they deserve it, if they are mindlessly occupied while watching some silly sports match, they are not causing any problems. For that reason, and that reason only the money might be well spent.
    Fuck the carrot, use the stick I say.
    That was my attitude at 22 years old when I started working in a county jail at the start of my career, but I later learned that when the inmates were relatively happy I was relatively happy. The best attitude was "neither one of us want to be here, so if you don't ruin my day and I won't ruin yours."

    Funny, but that same attitude serves me very well teaching 9-10 and 11 year olds in a Thai school.

  12. #12
    M.A.D
    Carrabow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Online
    06-11-2015 @ 06:37 AM
    Location
    Globe trotting
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Governments use professional sports to placate and occupy normal citizens, why not do the same with inmates? Regardless of whether or not they deserve it, if they are mindlessly occupied while watching some silly sports match, they are not causing any problems. For that reason, and that reason only the money might be well spent.
    Meanwhile in the shower the boys are busy pole vaulting

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    This is the limit.


    The child rapist whose claim that 'slopping out' is a breach of human rights could cost taxpayer hundreds of millions

    The lawsuit has been launched by child rapist Roger Gleaves (pictured), who claims that the practice breaches his human rights.

    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

  14. #14
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    They should pull a page out of Sheriff Joe Arpaio's playbook and give them nothing but Disney and the Weather Channel.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,755
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe
    They should pull a page out of Sheriff Joe Arpaio's playbook and give them nothing but Disney and the Weather Channel.
    Give them something educational too, like Sesame Street.

  16. #16
    M.A.D
    Carrabow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Online
    06-11-2015 @ 06:37 AM
    Location
    Globe trotting
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    This is the limit.


    The child rapist whose claim that 'slopping out' is a breach of human rights could cost taxpayer hundreds of millions

    The lawsuit has been launched by child rapist Roger Gleaves (pictured), who claims that the practice breaches his human rights.


    Human rights? The reactors in Japan need some fixin', send them out on work release (escorted). When the job is done, let 'em walk... (for a few days)

  17. #17
    R.I.P.
    toslti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Online
    22-09-2018 @ 07:53 AM
    Location
    Wongamat, Pattaya
    Posts
    2,038
    I always thought that Jail (Gaol... whatever you might call it) was the deprivation of the rights of liberty. The right to walk along the street, to order what food you wanted, to sleep with whomsoever you wanted etc.

    Once those rights are taken away from you... by being banged up in the chokey.. then you have no rights apart from being able to keep clean, to eat regularly ( each day) and to have access to your lawyer (0r that one provided for you).

    You do no not have the right to access the rights (paid for or otherwise) that persons who have not committed (or not yet caught) are able to access.

    This was emphatically stressed in Israel some years ago...and after some months of deliberation.. I was led out of Ashkelon jail and eventually wished a very courteous good bye.

    No TV, fed 3 times a day (even during the High holidays) always an extra loaf of bread of us to share...

    But.....No TV... No Internet..F++k me what will I do all day in my cell?

    Cnuts

  18. #18
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    22-10-2011 @ 02:56 PM
    Location
    Republic of the Union of Myanmar
    Posts
    3,081
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    But the perk is not enough, according to reports, with criminals unhappy that they do not get Sky Sports 2 and 3 - which meant they missed out on Brighton's game against Liverpool in the Carling Cup last Wednesday.
    Understandable they were pissed off, lets face it the majority of Liverpool supporters (scousers) are banged up on a regular basis throughout their chosen careers!

  19. #19
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,230
    Bring back the birch.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 06:12 PM
    Posts
    6,073
    Well i work 7 days a week when in the U.K we do have freeview sky so no sport channels.I do not watch television so not bothered,what really pisses me off is.
    When i have some spare time i go fishing,there is a young chap i guess he around 23 he fishes near me sometimes.
    We got talking the other day,he just brought a dog,dalmatian cost 600,also brought boat a few weeks back berthed at the mariner,cost 300 needs attention hence cheap.
    And you guessed right he is on the dole,called his mum to buy the dog some food as he had no money,go figure.
    Sorry forgot he has put 300 down,another 500 to pay on the boat.
    Last edited by klong toey; 28-09-2011 at 12:16 AM.

  21. #21
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,230
    Quote Originally Posted by klong toey
    And you guessed right he is on the dole
    Surely it would be against his human rights to deny him the companionship of mans best friend whilst sailing in his boat, even if he is on the dole.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 06:12 PM
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by English Noodles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klong toey
    And you guessed right he is on the dole
    Surely it would be against his human rights to deny him the companionship of mans best friend whilst sailing in his boat, even if he is on the dole.
    He will have a begging bowl out soon,cost 1200 a year berthing fee,or 35 launch and recover.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •