Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Out there...
    StrontiumDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    BKK
    Posts
    40,030

    Saudi billionaire to build world's tallest tower

    Saudi billionaire to build world's tallest tower | Reuters

    Saudi billionaire to build world's tallest tower



    By Asma Alsharif

    RIYADH | Tue Aug 2, 2011 10:07am EDT

    (Reuters) - Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal unveiled plans Tuesday to build the world's tallest tower in the Red Sea port city of Jeddah, signing a 4.6 billion riyal ($1.23 billion) contract with Bin Laden Group.

    The proposed tower, which will rise more than 1,000 meters and take just over five years to complete, is the centerpiece of the planned Kingdom City development being built outside Jeddah by Prince Alwaleed's Kingdom Holding.

    "Building this tower in Jeddah sends a financial and economic message that should not be ignored," Prince Alwaleed told reporters. "It has a political depth to it to tell the world that we Saudis invest in our country despite what is happening around us from events, turmoil and revolutions even."

    When completed, the tower would replace Dubai's 828-meter Burj Khalifa as the tallest tower in the world. The Burj Khalifa was built by Emaar Properties for a total cost of $1.5 billion.

    The Jeddah tower, which is to include a hotel, serviced apartments, luxury condominiums and offices, will be designed by U.S. architecture firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill.

    Prince Alwaleed, a nephew of Saudi King Abdullah, said the Jeddah tower would eventually top 1,000 meters, but the final height is a closely guarded secret.

    "It is not 1,000 meters. It is more, could be more by many meters... The figure is secret, only a small number of people know," he said.

    Kingdom Holding shares were up 2.55 percent on the Saudi bourse at 1255 GMT.

    Kingdom said a 33.35-percent-owned associate firm, Jeddah Economic Co, had been set up to build the tower. Abrar International Holding Co. will also have a 33.35-percent stake, while Bin Laden Group will have 16.63 percent, and businessman Abdurrahman Sharbatly will own 16.67 percent.

    Last month, Kingdom, which holds stakes in companies such as Citigroup, reported a 21-percent rise in second-quarter net profit helped by higher income from its investments.

    TRANSFORMING A CITY

    Saudi Arabia is currently undergoing multi-billion dollar projects to improve its infrastructure, spending over $400 billion in the five years to 2013 and rolling out three consecutive record budgets along the way, in addition to over $130 million in social spending.

    Jeddah, the country's second largest city of around four million residents, has long complained of neglect.

    Flash floods that swept through the city earlier this year are said to have damaged 90 percent of its roads and more than 27,000 buildings, which residents complain were poorly constructed.

    "This will be a transformational project in Jeddah. It will be a source of pride for Saudi Arabia. Jeddah is in great need for it now," Prince Alwaleed said.

    The Kingdom Tower and Kingdom City, estimated to cost 75 billion riyals and to take around 10 years to complete, are among other projects to transform Jeddah into a city with high rise buildings to rival Dubai.

    Saudi Arabia faces massive housing demand, due to a rapidly growing population. But its nationals have a preference for villas over apartments. Prices for villas have jumped by over 20 percent in the first half of the year, according to a report by Banque Saudi Fransi.

    About 1.65 million new homes are needed by 2015 to meet growing demand in the world's largest oil exporter, Saudi Fransi said in March.

    Prince Alwaleed also said that within the next few weeks or months he plans to announce plans for another real estate project in Riyadh, spanning an area of 20 million square meters.
    "Slavery is the daughter of darkness; an ignorant people is the blind instrument of its own destruction; ambition and intrigue take advantage of the credulity and inexperience of men who have no political, economic or civil knowledge. They mistake pure illusion for reality, license for freedom, treason for patriotism, vengeance for justice."-Simón Bolívar

  2. #2
    or TizYou?
    TizMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Location
    Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
    Posts
    5,891
    I'd like to see the construction builder from Bangladesh standing 1,000 metres up on scaffolding made of sticks, swaying in the breeze.

    Jeddah just isn't big enough for this sort of project.

  3. #3
    Member Albert Shagnasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    28-02-2012 @ 06:19 PM
    Location
    over there
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumDog View Post
    Saudi billionaire to build world's tallest tower | Reuters

    Saudi billionaire to build world's tallest tower



    By Asma Alsharif

    RIYADH | Tue Aug 2, 2011 10:07am EDT

    (Reuters) - Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal unveiled plans Tuesday to build the world's tallest tower in the Red Sea port city of Jeddah, signing a 4.6 billion riyal ($1.23 billion) contract with Bin Laden Group.

    The proposed tower, which will rise more than 1,000 meters and take just over five years to complete, is the centerpiece of the planned Kingdom City development being built outside Jeddah by Prince Alwaleed's Kingdom Holding.

    "Building this tower in Jeddah sends a financial and economic message that should not be ignored," Prince Alwaleed told reporters. "It has a political depth to it to tell the world that we Saudis invest in our country despite what is happening around us from events, turmoil and revolutions even."

    When completed, the tower would replace Dubai's 828-meter Burj Khalifa as the tallest tower in the world. The Burj Khalifa was built by Emaar Properties for a total cost of $1.5 billion.

    The Jeddah tower, which is to include a hotel, serviced apartments, luxury condominiums and offices, will be designed by U.S. architecture firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill.

    Prince Alwaleed, a nephew of Saudi King Abdullah, said the Jeddah tower would eventually top 1,000 meters, but the final height is a closely guarded secret.

    "It is not 1,000 meters. It is more, could be more by many meters... The figure is secret, only a small number of people know," he said.

    Kingdom Holding shares were up 2.55 percent on the Saudi bourse at 1255 GMT.

    Kingdom said a 33.35-percent-owned associate firm, Jeddah Economic Co, had been set up to build the tower. Abrar International Holding Co. will also have a 33.35-percent stake, while Bin Laden Group will have 16.63 percent, and businessman Abdurrahman Sharbatly will own 16.67 percent.

    Last month, Kingdom, which holds stakes in companies such as Citigroup, reported a 21-percent rise in second-quarter net profit helped by higher income from its investments.

    TRANSFORMING A CITY

    Saudi Arabia is currently undergoing multi-billion dollar projects to improve its infrastructure, spending over $400 billion in the five years to 2013 and rolling out three consecutive record budgets along the way, in addition to over $130 million in social spending.

    Jeddah, the country's second largest city of around four million residents, has long complained of neglect.

    Flash floods that swept through the city earlier this year are said to have damaged 90 percent of its roads and more than 27,000 buildings, which residents complain were poorly constructed.

    "This will be a transformational project in Jeddah. It will be a source of pride for Saudi Arabia. Jeddah is in great need for it now," Prince Alwaleed said.

    The Kingdom Tower and Kingdom City, estimated to cost 75 billion riyals and to take around 10 years to complete, are among other projects to transform Jeddah into a city with high rise buildings to rival Dubai.

    Saudi Arabia faces massive housing demand, due to a rapidly growing population. But its nationals have a preference for villas over apartments. Prices for villas have jumped by over 20 percent in the first half of the year, according to a report by Banque Saudi Fransi.

    About 1.65 million new homes are needed by 2015 to meet growing demand in the world's largest oil exporter, Saudi Fransi said in March.

    Prince Alwaleed also said that within the next few weeks or months he plans to announce plans for another real estate project in Riyadh, spanning an area of 20 million square meters.
    Is it me or was 9/11 a fucking inside job?
    One minute he's the bogeyman next his families building the tallest tower in the world.
    Stinks like a 10 pint donner kebab shit

  4. #4
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Dislocated Member
    Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    05-08-2019 @ 02:34 AM
    Location
    Nebuchadnezzar
    Posts
    10,577
    Should be easy to fly a 747 into that fucker.

  5. #5
    Member Albert Shagnasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    28-02-2012 @ 06:19 PM
    Location
    over there
    Posts
    497

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnasty
    Is it me or was 9/11 a fucking inside job?
    NO.....

  7. #7
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Posts
    59,740
    I can think of better things to do with the money to be honest.

    I wonder if they'll make it a tourist attraction?

    Disneyland Jeddah, can't you just picture it?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    14-11-2015 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnasty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StrontiumDog View Post
    Saudi billionaire to build world's tallest tower | Reuters

    Saudi billionaiid that within the next few weeks or months he plans to announce plans for another real estate project in Riyadh, spanning an area of 20 million square meters.
    Is it me or was 9/11 a fucking inside job?
    One minute he's the bogeyman next his families building the tallest tower in the world.
    Stinks like a 10 pint donner kebab shit
    Its just you.

    Osama is from a rich rag head family. He was disowned by his family for being too radical.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •