Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    Pattaya Jomtien

    Romania maternity hospital fire kills newborn babies

    Romania maternity hospital fire kills newborn babies

    Babies and mothers were rescued from the maternity hospital

    A fire in a Romanian maternity hospital has killed three newborn babies and left others clinging to life.

    The fire, apparently caused by an electrical fault, swept through the Giulesti hospital in Bucharest on Monday.

    "Unfortunately we have to announce that three newborns were killed," Romanian Health Minister Raed Arafat said.

    Two pregnant women and eight babies also sustained serious burns and were taken elsewhere for treatment.

    Dan George Enescu, head of the Bucharest children's hospital, described the surviving babies' condition as "extremely critical".

    "Those prematurely born babies have burns covering 70-80% of their bodies... It is too much for them. They are just five days old," he said.

    Romania's healthcare system is often regarded as one of the worst in the European Union.

    The BBC's Oana Lungescu reported last week on how chronic underfunding and a brain-drain of medical staff could put patients at risk.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    You have to wonder about the mental health of the emergency personnel who have to go in there and see and smell something like that. About 25 years ago, when I was a policeman, I had to help the coroner in Los Angeles remove the bodies of a mother and her 2 children from their burned apartment. They were dead, but their fingers were locked around the anti-burglary bars that blocked the windows and prevented their escape from the burned ground floor apartment. I had to pull the fingers back one at a time to get the body free, then lift it onto a gurney. it still bothers me to this day. I absolutely will not have bars on my windows and the one of the first things I bought when I moved here was a smoke detector. The smell was also horrible.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts