Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    30-03-2017 @ 11:49 AM
    Location
    Hua Hin
    Posts
    808

    Co-Op refuses to serve soldier in uniform.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300824/Co-op-refuses-serve-soldier-uniform-return-Afghanistan.html

    Co-op refuses to serve soldier after return from Afghanistan - because he was still in uniform
    By Daily Mail Reporter



    Snt away: Sapper Anthony Walls left the supermarket empty-handed when staff refused to serve him because he was in uniform
    A soldier who had just arrived home from Afghanistan was refused service at a supermarket and told they didn't serve people in Army uniform.
    Sapper Anthony Walls called into a branch of the Co-op for some beers after a gruelling 34-hour journey from Kandahar.
    The 27-year-old, of 21 Engineer Regiment, said it was his 'first hour back in the real world' after dodging Taliban bullets for four-and-a-half months helping build 'the most dangerous road in Afghanistan'.
    But when he arrived at the till he says he was met with a blank stare from the cashier who refused to serve him and called for her manager.
    The manager told Mr Walls he 'couldn't do anything about it' and refused to serve him while he was in uniform. The soldier - who was on his way to his three-year-old nephew Jack's birthday party - walked out of the shop in New Addington, Croydon, in a daze.
    'I was deeply hurt,' he said yesterday. 'All I was thinking about was getting home to Jack in time to wish him a happy birthday.
    'It was great to be home after a difficult journey and I just thought I'd grab a couple of beers - a luxury I hadn't had in a while.
    'But when I came to pay the cashier refused to serve me and rang her bell. A male supervisor came along and the cashier explained she was refusing to serve me because I was in uniform.

    He looked at me and said ''I can't do anything about it''. I put the beer down and walked out. I was shocked.'
    Mr Walls, who joined up when he was 17, said it was 'tough' in Afghanistan and that he had witnessed the death of one of his best friends, Sapper Daryn Roy, who died at the age of 28 in an IED explosion in May.
    He added: 'Sometimes the only thing that keeps you going is the support and love from home.
    'I appreciate the Co-op cashier may have had her own opinions about the war, but we are just doing a job and laying our lives down for this country. A little respect and appreciation would be nice.'
    Mr Walls's sister Claire Lloyd, 33, said she was 'disgusted' at her brother's treatment at the Co-op store on July 17.

    Home: Walls was on his way to his three-year-old nephew Jack Lloyd's, right, birthday party. His sister Claire, middle, is 'disgusted' with the way Anthony was treated. The Co-op said the incident was a 'genuine mistake'
    The mother of four added: 'I am so proud of Anthony. He works hard and willingly puts his life on the line every day.
    'Anthony and his colleagues are the unsung heroes of this country. They deserve the respect and civility extended to anyone else in a uniform.'
    A spokesman at the Co-op's headquarters in Manchester said the incident had been a 'genuine mistake on the part of our two members of staff' and apologised for how Mr Walls, who flew back out to Afghanistan this week, was treated.
    The spokesman added: 'This had nothing to do with anyone being against the war in Afghanistan. It's a simple case of a misunderstanding of company policy.
    'Years ago we had a policy which meant we wouldn't serve police officers in uniform, but that is no longer the case. The cashier thought she was doing the right thing.'

    Turned away: A cashier and store manager of the Co-op in New Addington, Croydon, above, told Walls they had no choice but to refuse to serve him because he was in his uniform


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300824/Co-op-refuses-serve-soldier-uniform-return-Afghanistan.html#ixzz0wBreudRd

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,775
    A soldier was shocked about not being able to buy beer yet dodged bullets in Afghanistan, yeah I bet.



    Quote Originally Posted by jojo333
    but we are just doing a job and laying our lives down for this country.
    Fuck, has afghanistan declared war on Britain and I missed it?


  3. #3
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    So is the no policemen in uniform a hangover from the miner's strike. Well done the Co-op if that's the case.

  4. #4
    Cool Cat
    Perota's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    15-03-2017 @ 05:11 PM
    Location
    Bangkok, Korat
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo333 View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300824/Co-op-refuses-serve-soldier-uniform-return-Afghanistan.html

    Co-op refuses to serve soldier after return from Afghanistan - because he was still in uniform
    Why I am supposed to care ?

    Honestly.

    I'm not living there. I don't wear an uniform. I never fought in Afghanistan and never will.

    None of my business.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-04-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    3,867
    I have taken it off and asked for the beer failing that I'd just walk out with the booze. Fuk her..

    ...and the manager.

  6. #6
    Member Rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    512
    Fuck these pricks, a major boycott of these stores needs to be started right now.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    20-03-2011 @ 01:25 PM
    Posts
    225
    What a fucked up policy.

  8. #8
    Newbie KHUNDAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    04-10-2011 @ 12:31 PM
    Location
    BURIRUM THAILAND
    Posts
    24

    Co-Op should be banned by all locals in the area

    I know a lot of you guys do not like Americans or the military and thats fine, but unless you have Volunteered to fight for your own country or another country you have no idea how the guy must have felt.

    I do not say Afgan or any other war is legit and I firmly believe the USA should take care of their own before trying to police others but these young guys join because they want to, family did it, feel a need to do so for country and for someone in the same country they represent not to serve them is a disgrace.

    I know I will get flamed but thats ok, I served my 20 plus years and am proud of it all.

    Unless you have done what another person has done all you can really do is speculate and think you are correct...Grow up and respect other peoples decisions in life. You are not the only person in this world and do not expect others to follow you since you may feel you are 100% right.

    It sickens me by how some of you guys belittle others. How about giving guidance, encouragement, direction etc. vice condemning others all the time.

    Ok I'm done, so say what you want but I will not join into any silly arguments, just wanted to make a point.

    Thanks and wishing everyone the best in anything they do in life.

    Dan

  9. #9
    Member
    mellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    29-11-2018 @ 10:44 AM
    Location
    over the hill
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by KHUNDAN View Post
    I know a lot of you guys do not like Americans or the military and thats fine, but unless you have Volunteered to fight for your own country or another country you have no idea how the guy must have felt.

    I do not say Afgan or any other war is legit and I firmly believe the USA should take care of their own before trying to police others but these young guys join because they want to, family did it, feel a need to do so for country and for someone in the same country they represent not to serve them is a disgrace.

    I know I will get flamed but thats ok, I served my 20 plus years and am proud of it all.

    Unless you have done what another person has done all you can really do is speculate and think you are correct...Grow up and respect other peoples decisions in life. You are not the only person in this world and do not expect others to follow you since you may feel you are 100% right.

    It sickens me by how some of you guys belittle others. How about giving guidance, encouragement, direction etc. vice condemning others all the time.

    Ok I'm done, so say what you want but I will not join into any silly arguments, just wanted to make a point.

    Thanks and wishing everyone the best in anything they do in life.

    Dan
    It's a terrible thing to treat a soldier in this way. He doesn't set policy, he is doing a service for his country, that many others are scared to do, or would just be too scared to be able to perform, yet take their freedom for granted.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Bower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    17-06-2019 @ 06:40 PM
    Location
    South coast UK
    Posts
    3,016
    Policemen in uniform: It is illegal for policemen to purchase alcohol when on duty, it is illegal to serve them alcohol when in uniform.

    I also think it is illegal to refuse any legal service to any serviceman when in uniform.

    More truthful answers are required from the Co-op.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-04-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    3,867
    ^ You tell that to the cops who used to drink in my pub in the 80s.

    piss heads the lot of em....!

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Bower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    17-06-2019 @ 06:40 PM
    Location
    South coast UK
    Posts
    3,016
    ^I am sure they did and i am sure that both you and them knew it was illegal.

    My point was about the Co-op saying the staff had misunderstood past Co-op policy.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-04-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    3,867
    ^Yep but I wern't gunna chuck ten heavy drinkin flying squad officers out.

  14. #14
    Member
    PaulBunyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    12-01-2011 @ 11:58 AM
    Posts
    795
    Who knows what the reasons are behind this really. Just because there are wars doesn't mean you have to support them. If everyone thought like that we'd all be dead by now. Freedom is a double-edged sword. Personally, the way the flag wavers are sometimes I feel threatened to suggest anything against their views. This type of my-country-right-or-wrong madness is the exact reason the polar opposite like someone who won't serve a soldier exists. Hate makes hate. When the wars started the 'patriots' were labeling anyone who didn't support the wars as traitors or terrorist sympathisers. Now we get things like this. People don't want to shut up and sit down anymore.

  15. #15
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo333
    New Addington, Croydon
    What a shithole that place is.
    New Addington is a housing estate with a bad reputation.
    It had a large child sex ring operation going at one time, had the highest vehicle theft figures for UK and was at the front of many scams.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,775
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow
    yet take their freedom for granted.
    How is the British peoples freedom threatened by Afghanistan?

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    He shouldn't have been in uniform.

    I suspect he may well be up on charges for wearing his uniform.

    No doubt all will be revealed in the course of time.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,775
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow
    yet take their freedom for granted.
    How would you feel assuming your English if Afghanistan troops came over to the UK and Ireland in the 70's and 80's to help us out with the IRA problem because they decided they could sort it out better than us, and hell, it don't matter if they kill a few innocent brits whilst they are using bombs and drones etc.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-04-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    3,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo333
    New Addington, Croydon
    What a shithole that place is.
    New Addington is a housing estate with a bad reputation.
    It had a large child sex ring operation going at one time, had the highest vehicle theft figures for UK and was at the front of many scams.
    Yep, total and utter shit hole.

    ...wouldn't move my dog there.!
    Do you know what nemesis means?

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Moonraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,155
    It's difficult to pay too much attention to anything that comes from the daily mail. they often only seem to tell the half of the story that suits their needs.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,039
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo333
    A spokesman at the Co-op's headquarters in Manchester said the incident had been a 'genuine mistake on the part of our two members of staff' and apologised for how Mr Walls, who flew back out to Afghanistan this week, was treated.
    The spokesman added: 'This had nothing to do with anyone being against the war in Afghanistan. It's a simple case of a misunderstanding of company policy.
    'Years ago we had a policy which meant we wouldn't serve police officers in uniform, but that is no longer the case. The cashier thought she was doing the right thing.'
    so....much ado about nothing.

    a simple mistake.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,418
    thats the uk today, a soldier just off the plane back from afghanistan cant get served in a shop, because some retard jobsworth bitch says so, yet 200 admirers turn up at the funeral of killer and wife beater roal moat, the man who shot a policeman in the face and left him blind.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy View Post
    He shouldn't have been in uniform.

    I suspect he may well be up on charges for wearing his uniform.
    I dont know if its still policy JJ. What I do know is, that not too long ago, you wouldnt even get out of the barracks gates, if you were in uniform. Big fucking deal, if they wouldnt serve him, whilst in uniform. Are we supposed to continually fall over ourselves in admiration at them? They are doing a job they chose to do.

    Again not too many years ago, you were spat at, refused entry into pubs, and generally discriminated against, if you were a squaddie.
    I aint superstitious, but I know when somethings wrong
    I`ve been dragging my heels with a bitch called hope
    Let the undercurrent drag me along.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim
    I dont know if its still policy JJ.
    you're right. policy might have changed.

    In my day it was as you've suggested,


    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim
    you wouldnt even get out of the barracks gates, if you were in uniform.
    I remember doing an e&e exercise in the highlands in 84, you didn't stand a chance in uni.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Bower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    17-06-2019 @ 06:40 PM
    Location
    South coast UK
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by jandajoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim
    I dont know if its still policy JJ.
    you're right. policy might have changed.

    In my day it was as you've suggested,


    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim
    you wouldnt even get out of the barracks gates, if you were in uniform.
    I remember doing an e&e exercise in the highlands in 84, you didn't stand a chance in uni.
    Evade and escape JJ are you still on that excercise ? if so, fair play to you, youv'e made good distance and time.........


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •