Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984

    Lost Arctic ship found 150 years after it was abandoned

    The ship credited with discovering the Northwest Passage, has been discovered in good condition after being abandoned more than 150 years ago in the Arctic ice.

    Published: 10:53PM BST 28 Jul 2010

    HMS Enterprise and HMS Investigator, right, in the ice


    Canadian Archeologists were able to take sonar images of HMS Investigator at the weekend not long after they arrived at the remote Mercy Bay site in the Northwest Territories, Marc-Andre Bernier of Parks Canada said on Wednesday.

    The Investigator was the British ship that was sent to search for two lost vessels that were part of Sir John Franklin’s ill-fated 1845 Royal Navy expedition to discover the Northwest Passage linking the Atlantic to the Pacific through Canada’s Arctic Archipelago.



    “This is definitely of the utmost importance,” said Mr Bernier, chief of the underwater archaeology service with Parks Canada, the federal body conducting the Arctic survey.
    “This was the ship that confirmed and nailed the discovery of that passage.”
    He said one of the other archeologists had likened the discovery to finding one of Columbus’s ships.
    The icy waters have helped preserve the ship, which is sitting upright on the sea floor in about 11 metres (36 feet) of water and not far from the location where it was last documented in 1854.
    The wreck had been difficult to find because of its remote location off Bank’s Island and also because the waters are usually very icy. This year, the team had an ice free area to work in.
    “It’s in surprisingly good condition,” said Mr Bernier. “The reason we were so lucky in a way was because the ship had not moved too much from the place it was abandoned.”
    Archeologists plan to take more images this week from a small inflatable boat they are working with. They hope to use a robot equipped with cameras, similar to equipment now being used in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, to learn about the ship.
    The graves of three Royal Navy sailors, who died in 1853 of scurvy, were also discovered. The British government has been notified of the find, Canadian Environment Minister Jim Prentice told Reuters from Mercy Bay.
    The Investigator was deployed in 1850 with a 66-man crew, but was eventually abandoned after being locked in the grip of Arctic ice for two winters. The crew, led by Captain Robert John LeMesurier McClure, left behind a cache of equipment and provisions on the shore of what is now part of Aulavik National Park.
    Mr Prentice, who was scheduled to stay at the site for several more days, said the discovery of the ship and the artefacts on shore formed an “incredibly rich treasure trove.”

    Lost Arctic ship found 150 years after it was abandoned - Telegraph

  2. #2
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Nice rendition of old folk song about Lord Franklin :



    The bodies of the mummified crew were discovered not so long ago, well preserved in their icey graves:


  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Blake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    28-12-2013 @ 03:00 PM
    Posts
    1,639
    I highly recommend the novel "The Terror" by Dan Simmons based on Franklin's expedition. I great read and very well researched.

  4. #4
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake7 View Post
    I highly recommend the novel "The Terror" by Dan Simmons based on Franklin's expedition. I great read and very well researched.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look out for it.

  5. #5
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    555555555555 Discovered the Northwest Passage? 55555555 Sorry, can't help meself. Years ago, I studied Franklin and the original news and many orders to find his ships. McClure didn't find the passage or he woulda been drinking tea in fekin Victoria, BC. He only got the reward coz the Brits, especially Franklin's wife, wanted to kill the rumours (true) that Franklin's crew resorted to cannibalism. You want the truth, you gotta read about the Orkney man, Dr John Rae. Try the book Fatal Passage. The rest of the book names will come to me. 5555 Sorry, this latest news really makes me laugh. The ship is stuck in the ice in Mercy Bay but McClure found the Passage. 555555555 Check some maps for Mercy Bay, please.

    Oh, Bangyai, I do appreciate you posting this news tho. I didn't see it.
    Last edited by Jet Gorgon; 29-07-2010 at 06:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    Wasn't it Rae, who sent word back of the cannibalism? As a result of this revelation, Rae`s future career was left in tatters. I seem to remember this being mentioned on some documentary I watched some time back.


    Found it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ra...27s_expedition

    By 1849 Rae was in charge of the Mackenzie River district at Fort Simpson. He was soon called upon to head north again, this time in search of two missing ships from the Franklin Expedition.[3] While exploring King William Island in 1853 Rae made contact with local Inuit, from whom he obtained much information about the fate of the lost naval expedition.[4] His report to the British Admiralty carried shocking and unwelcome evidence that cannibalism had been a last resort for some of the survivors. When it was leaked to the Press, Franklin's widow Lady Jane Franklin was outraged and recruited many important supporters, among them Charles Dickens who wrote several pamphlets condemning Rae for daring to suggest British Naval sailors would have resorted to cannibalism.
    Last edited by astasinim; 29-07-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: to add link
    I aint superstitious, but I know when somethings wrong
    I`ve been dragging my heels with a bitch called hope
    Let the undercurrent drag me along.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    Bangyai's videos are fascinating. The open mouth with teeth exposed is a classic death from scurvy because of the gun disease. What a horrible and useless way to die.

  8. #8
    I am in Jail
    Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    19-03-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    14,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Gorgon View Post
    555555555555 Discovered the Northwest Passage? 55555555 Sorry, can't help meself. Years ago, I studied Franklin and the original news and many orders to find his ships. McClure didn't find the passage or he woulda been drinking tea in fekin Victoria, BC. He only got the reward coz the Brits, especially Franklin's wife, wanted to kill the rumours (true) that Franklin's crew resorted to cannibalism. You want the truth, you gotta read about the Orkney man, Dr John Rae. Try the book Fatal Passage. The rest of the book names will come to me. 5555 Sorry, this latest news really makes me laugh. The ship is stuck in the ice in Mercy Bay but McClure found the Passage. 555555555 Check some maps for Mercy Bay, please.

    Oh, Bangyai, I do appreciate you posting this news tho. I didn't see it.
    I believe it was Roald Amundsen who led the first expedition across the northwest passage.

    He was also the first to reach the south pole.
    He was so well prepared that he made reaching the south pole look like a sporting event. While his British rival Robert Scott failed in a most tragic manner. The brits never seemed well cut out for arctic exploration.

    Amundsen is a pretty amazing individual, his biography makes a superb read.

  9. #9
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Gorgon View Post
    555555555555 Discovered the Northwest Passage? 55555555 Sorry, can't help meself. Years ago, I studied Franklin and the original news and many orders to find his ships. McClure didn't find the passage or he woulda been drinking tea in fekin Victoria, BC. He only got the reward coz the Brits, especially Franklin's wife, wanted to kill the rumours (true) that Franklin's crew resorted to cannibalism. You want the truth, you gotta read about the Orkney man, Dr John Rae. Try the book Fatal Passage. The rest of the book names will come to me. 5555 Sorry, this latest news really makes me laugh. The ship is stuck in the ice in Mercy Bay but McClure found the Passage. 555555555 Check some maps for Mercy Bay, please.

    Oh, Bangyai, I do appreciate you posting this news tho. I didn't see it.
    Glad you enyoyed the read although to be fair to the writer the actual words were :

    " This was the ship that confirmed and nailed the discovery of that passage."

    Darn small print

  10. #10
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangyai View Post
    Glad you enyoyed the read although to be fair to the writer the actual words were :" This was the ship that confirmed and nailed the discovery of that passage."
    Darn small print
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangyai View Post
    The ship credited with discovering the Northwest Passage, has been discovered in good condition after being abandoned more than 150 years ago in the Arctic ice.
    Those damned headlines just get in the way. Mind, I never would credit a "ship" with discovering anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim View Post
    Wasn't it Rae, who sent word back of the cannibalism? As a result of this revelation, Rae`s future career was left in tatters. I seem to remember this being mentioned on some documentary I watched some time back.
    As I read, true. Lady Franklin was livid. But Rae spoke the truth. Neither Lady F nor the National Geo Society could stomach the facts. They called Rae and the Inuits liars.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Bangyai's videos are fascinating. The open mouth with teeth exposed is a classic death from scurvy because of the gun disease. What a horrible and useless way to die.
    If someone doesn't hold your mouth shut when you die, same, same. Especially if your flesh does not decay. See the dessicated corpses of poor Egyptian folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl View Post
    I believe it was Roald Amundsen who led the first expedition across the northwest passage.
    Not the first explorer there but supposedly he got thru. But he was 60 or so years later. Great explorer tho. I reckon the Inuit knew the "passage". But they had no reason to go to China.
    Last edited by Jet Gorgon; 29-07-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •