Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774

    Afghan women were killed in bungled raid, Nato admits

    Afghan women were killed in bungled raid, Nato admits



    Nato has admitted that its forces were responsible for the deaths of three women during a botched night-time raid in eastern Afghanistan in February.

    It had already admitted killing two innocent men in the operation, saying they were shot dead when they came out of their homes carrying firearms.

    Nato now says the women were killed by shots fired at the men.

    Nato officials had previously suggested the women were killed by unknown assailants hours before the raid.

    There was no immediate comment from the Afghan government. Civilian deaths at the hands of foreign forces have been a source of increasing friction between it and Nato.

    Some reports have suggested Nato soldiers tried to cover up the deaths of the women by removing bullets from the bodies.

    'Protecting their families'

    Nato initially denied involvement in the deaths of the women in the raid in the Gardez district of Paktia on 12 February, but now admits to having bungled the operation.

    I want house searches to be stopped in Afghanistan
    Afghan President Hamid Karzai



    Mistrust imperils war on Taliban

    "While investigators could not conclusively determine how or when the women died, due to lack of forensic evidence, they concluded that the women were accidentally killed as a result of the joint force firing at the men," a Nato statement said.

    The statement said Nato officials would apologise and pay compensation to the family of those killed.

    "We deeply regret the outcome of this operation," said a Nato spokesman.

    "The force went to the compound based on reliable information in search of a Taliban insurgent and believed that the two men posed a threat to their personal safety. We now understand that the men killed were only trying to protect their families."

    One relative - whose two brothers, wife and sister were killed in the raid - said the family wanted the informant tried and put to death.

    "Our demand is that this spy be executed in front of the people to ensure that such bad things don't happen again," he told the Associated Press news agency.

    Karzai 'wants changes'

    On Sunday, Afghan President Hamid Karzai called for an end to house searches by foreign troops.
    Gen McChrystal (left) introduced new rules of engagement for Nato

    He was visiting the southern city of Kandahar with top US commander Gen Stanley McChrystal to win support for an anti-Taliban offensive there.

    "When there's an incident, he [McChrystal] comes and apologises," Mr Karzai told tribal leaders in the city, the birthplace of the Taliban.

    "There've been changes in behaviour with the arrival of this new general, but we are still not convinced. I want more changes," Mr Karzai added.

    Nato admits that its killing of civilians has undermined support for its mission in Afghanistan. But it points out that far more people are killed in attacks by the Taliban and other militants.

    United Nations figures show the number of civilians killed by foreign and Afghan forces fell by 25% in 2009 compared with 2008. The UN says the vast majority of the 2,412 civilian deaths in 2009 were caused by militant attacks.

    Gen McChrystal has introduced changes to Nato tactics aimed at cutting the risks to civilians. Measures include reducing the number of air strikes and night raids.


  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    "When there's an incident, he [McChrystal] comes and apologises," Mr Karzai told tribal leaders in the city, the birthplace of the Taliban.
    Incident? Is the new buzz word for killing innocent civilians and can we refer to the crashing of the planes into the world trade center as merely an incident?

  3. #3
    Love Thailand Carnwadrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    27-03-2019 @ 02:18 AM
    Posts
    1,290
    From which country are these "Nato" troops who shot the women, I think it would be easy to conclude they were not Americans or the headline would be" American troops slaughter innocent Afghan women".

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    After digging out the bullets from the dead bodies supposedly I doubt they are willing to name nationalities at this time.

  5. #5
    I am no longer a Hostage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    25-03-2018 @ 08:02 PM
    Posts
    4,052

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    KABUL (AFP) – North Atlantic Treaty Organization forces have admitted killing three women in a bungled raid on a village in Afghanistan earlier this year, after initially denying involvement.
    The NATO International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said in a statement late Sunday that its troops were responsible for the women’s deaths in a village near Gardez, the capital of eastern Paktya province, on February 12.
    Two newspapers -- the New York Times and Britain’s The Times -- said Monday that the foreign troops involved in the shooting were members of US special forces who tried to cover up the deaths by removing bullets from the bodies.
    ISAF had no immediate comment on the nationality of the troops or the cover-up claims, when contacted by AFP.
    The women were in the same compound as two armed men who were killed by members of a joint international-Afghan patrol after appearing to show ‘’hostile intent,’’ the military statement said.
    ’’We deeply regret the outcome of this operation, accept responsibility for our actions that night and know that this loss will be felt forever by the families,’’ said ISAF spokesman Brigadier General Eric Tremblay.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    So this incident involved US forces killing civilian women, then digging the bullets out of their dead bodies, and it is an incident, I'm sure if it was the other way round, ie iraq, saudi or whatever killing a few American women and digging the bullets out of their dead bodies it would also be refered to as an incident.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    Is it normal for afgans to carry arms coming out of their homes . Grizzly what the US forces did to cover it up . Special forces to boot. In a war zone ,shit happens unfortunatly.. Especially if you come out of your house carrying assault weapons and the US lads are about. Normally thee enemy wear a uniform but in afganistan it's the same as you wear in the market place. And if you carry arms what the fook do you expect. Excuse me, do you have bullets in that gun !! RIP ladies.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Johnny Longprong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Online
    24-06-2019 @ 08:11 PM
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by billy the kid
    In a war zone ,shit happens unfortunatly..
    Yes, war zones are dangerous places. In fact war itself is a dangerous and deadly thing to be avoided by all.

  10. #10
    Love Thailand Carnwadrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    27-03-2019 @ 02:18 AM
    Posts
    1,290
    Exerpt from New York Times Story
    An official at the American-led NATO military command in Kabul said the tampering allegations had prompted the military to investigate. “We have found no evidence to support tampering,” the official said. But, the official added, based on the allegations from the Afghan Interior Ministry, “We are further investigating to determine if there is any foundation to these claims.”
    Yet to be determined is whether Special Operations forces dug bullets out of the victims’ bodies in an effort to hide what had happened, as described by family members who survived the raid.
    Mohammed Tahir, whose 18-year-old daughter was killed, said he had watched from the compound through an open door as an American knelt over one corpse with a knife and tried to extract bullets. “I saw them working on the bodies,” Mr. Tahir said. “I saw a knife in one of the American’s hands.”
    Another family member, Abdul Ghafar, said the bullet entry wounds on the bodies had been widened or scraped out in an effort to remove bullets. “The holes were bigger than they were supposed to be,” he said.
    The NATO military official said: “We strongly deny having dug any bullets out of bodies. There simply is no evidence.”
    In the interview, Mr. Yarmand said he did not know whether bullets had been dug out of the bodies. He said he would not dispute family members’ claims, but added, “We can not confirm it as we had not been able to autopsy the bodies.”

    Sangar Rahimi contributed reporting.

    Whole thing sounds strange, why go in and dig out bullets and make your case more complicated...just say "they had guns so we fired, sorry civilians got caught in the crossfire" ?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnwadrick
    just say "they had guns so we fired, sorry civilians got caught in the crossfire" ?
    And thats exactly what the Saudies should have said after the 9/11 incident when the wtc fell down.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •