Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    14-05-2010 @ 01:45 PM
    Posts
    509

    NYC girl, 12, arrested for doodling on desk to sue

    The Associated Press: NYC girl, 12, arrested for doodling on desk to sue

    NEW YORK — A 12-year-old girl who was hauled out of her New York City school in handcuffs for doodling on her desk has started legal action against the city over her arrest.
    A lawyer for Alexa Gonzalez filed legal papers seeking $1 million in damages, saying the Queens girl was subjected to overly harsh treatment.
    Alexa was arrested at her junior high school in February after scribbling "I love my friends Abby and Faith" on her desk with an erasable marker.
    Her family's lawyer says school officials overreacted by calling the police.
    The Department of Education acknowledges the arrest was a mistake. The city's legal department has declined to comment on the lawsuit.
    Information from: Daily News, New York News, Traffic, Sports, Weather, Photos, Entertainment, and Gossip - NY Daily News
    Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    04-01-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by malako View Post
    The Associated Press: NYC girl, 12, arrested for doodling on desk to sue

    NEW YORK — A 12-year-old girl who was hauled out of her New York City school in handcuffs for doodling on her desk has started legal action against the city over her arrest.
    A lawyer for Alexa Gonzalez filed legal papers seeking $1 million in damages, saying the Queens girl was subjected to overly harsh treatment.
    Alexa was arrested at her junior high school in February after scribbling "I love my friends Abby and Faith" on her desk with an erasable marker.
    Her family's lawyer says school officials overreacted by calling the police.
    The Department of Education acknowledges the arrest was a mistake. The city's legal department has declined to comment on the lawsuit.
    Information from: Daily News, New York News, Traffic, Sports, Weather, Photos, Entertainment, and Gossip - NY Daily News
    Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

    USA..... A Third-World police state....I bet she was black...

  3. #3
    Member peter000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    15-02-2011 @ 01:24 AM
    Location
    Bribie Island
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by harrymand
    USA..... A Third-World police state....I bet she was black
    Alexa Gonzalez....Hispanic, but almost same type of treatment is likely to be forthcoming, of course.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010...ssive_for.html
    Last edited by peter000; 04-04-2010 at 11:17 AM.

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    13-10-2015 @ 03:54 PM
    Posts
    578
    Probably get locked up an never seen again under the new terroisim law

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    Some of the stories here, like the women hauled off to curt for selling a goldfish are much more ridiculous than this. Writing on a school desk is an act of vandalism. The problem with schools in the USA are the teachers unions and other public employee unions that do not allow incompetent employees, or those with no common sense or sense of reality to be terminated.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-09-2019 @ 04:29 AM
    Posts
    3,859
    They're really going potty in the west these days ain't they. Grannies being tagged for selling goldfish to 14-yo's, 12 yo's being arrested for scribbling. Fuck me, have they lost it so badly?

    I am starting to understand the US conservatives' hangup about gun control. Daily, in the US, UK especially, population control seems to be getting more and more sinister.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR
    Writing on a school desk is an act of vandalism.
    One of the many problems with the school system is that there are people telling 12 year old students that writing on a desk is vandalism and hauling them off to jail. That's why the school has at least one janitor. His lowly job is too clean up the mess all those little brats leave behind, including wiping the graffiti off the desks, even if it is a daily chore.

    America is becoming the most dangerous police state the world has ever seen.
    Eat more Cheezy Poofs!

  8. #8
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    02-07-2018 @ 06:46 PM
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by corned dog View Post
    Probably get locked up an never seen again under the new terroisim law
    Indeed a good slap on her face by the teacher would have been better.
    But hell, teachers are not allowed to slap silly pupils anymore , so I guess calling the police to arrest her for vandalism was the only option left.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Bring back caning, it's the only option.

  10. #10
    Member tuktukdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    15-10-2013 @ 01:17 AM
    Posts
    803
    The problem with these stories is they don't tell the whole story. How many times has this girl been in trouble before? What was her reaction the last time she was in trouble? Did she get violent? Maybe the school was just tired of dealing with her. There are some real bad parents these days and it shows in the children. When you see the parents suing the school instead of disciplining their child, doesn't that say something to you? My dad would never have sued the school, he would have been too busy dealing with me.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by malako
    The Department of Education acknowledges the arrest was a mistake.
    fookin hell, no kidding.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-04-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    3,867
    ^^ Agreed..Chuck her out of the school and don't let her back

  13. #13
    Member BillyBobThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2015 @ 05:35 AM
    Posts
    492
    I love my friends Abby and Faith" on her desk with an erasable marker.

    Keep her after school and let her wash and polish every desk in the classroom.
    If she fucks around and is slow, then it takes a week or two or three. You have
    outwit these little shits. I got caught egging the coaches car in the 8th grade and was made to clear an over grown lot next to his apartment, with an axe, about a 1/2 acre. Never egged another car.
    “The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.”

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    14-05-2017 @ 03:18 AM
    Posts
    1,031
    Hey, its a jobs program Have a bad day? Sue someone... Litigation employeses billions of Americans. The American way man

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    27-04-2010 @ 10:03 PM
    Posts
    29
    I agree with Billy Bob Thai. In second grade, I did the same thing with a pen and was forced to strip the wooden desk top and re-finish it. Of course, it was a Catholic school. It led me to get into construction and work with wood.

  16. #16
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    13-10-2015 @ 03:54 PM
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by nonam View Post
    I agree with Billy Bob Thai. In second grade, I did the same thing with a pen and was forced to strip the wooden desk top and re-finish it. Of course, it was a Catholic school. It led me to get into construction and work with wood.
    If it was a catholic school you got off lightly Lucky you didn't get rodgered senseles

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by tuktukdriver View Post
    The problem with these stories is they don't tell the whole story. How many times has this girl been in trouble before? What was her reaction the last time she was in trouble? Did she get violent? Maybe the school was just tired of dealing with her. There are some real bad parents these days and it shows in the children. When you see the parents suing the school instead of disciplining their child, doesn't that say something to you? My dad would never have sued the school, he would have been too busy dealing with me.
    I was thinking the same thing. Doubt if this was her first and only misdeed. Even if there had been better options than arresting her, she wrote on the desk and got arrested so suing and making money off a act of vandalism she committed is ridiculous. I hate officious and petty police or other government employees, but something is incomplete about this story. But hell, it's only taxpayers money they will be giving away.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    I used to sit in a school desk that had been 'vandalised' by my older brother 5 years previously. I 'vandalised' it as well.

    Fuck it's part of school tradition....when did the world become so fucking serious...

    I wanted to take some pics of my nephew playing football...he's good, he's in the academy side for a championship team, thought he might like them....I have the right box and lenses to do a good job.....but my brother advised me to leave well alone.

    Fer fucks sake.............

    caveat...That said, i also agree with the point raised by tuktukdriver, you don't always get the full facts from the modern media.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by tuktukdriver View Post
    The problem with these stories is they don't tell the whole story. How many times has this girl been in trouble before? What was her reaction the last time she was in trouble? Did she get violent? Maybe the school was just tired of dealing with her. There are some real bad parents these days and it shows in the children. When you see the parents suing the school instead of disciplining their child, doesn't that say something to you? My dad would never have sued the school, he would have been too busy dealing with me.
    Just wondering, but how would your father have reacted had you been handcuffed to a pole for 2 hours? That's what they did to her. They're obviously not stating that she was violent or any kind of trouble that would warrant them to do that. If she were, the school would state so rather than acknowledging that the arrest was a mistake.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •