Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774

    Indians ban meat eating in Australia

    Billionaires Pankaj and Radhika Oswal declare meat war on building site

    THE Western Australian construction union has hit out at a ban on building workers eating ham sandwiches and meat pies at the building site of a $70 million mega-mansion.

    Tradesmen and labourers working on the property have been told by Indian-born billionaire Pankaj Oswal and his socialite wife Radhika, that any food containing meat must not be consumed on the site.

    Once complete, the $70 million s Taj-on-Swan mansion will be the biggest home in the country, on the most expensive block of land. It is located in the exclusive suburb of Peppermint Grove in Perth.

    Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union Western Australian assistant secretary Joe McDonald said the ban was "absolutely wrong".

    "She still wants them to build her $70 million mansion, but she's telling them what they're going to eat . . . it's wrong," he said.

    "I respect everybody's right to practise their religion, but I totally disagree with anyone forcing it on others.

    "That has caused more wars and destruction throughout the world than anything else I know of.

    "If people are working on the job and they want to have a ham sandwich or a bacon and egg sandwich, they should have one."

    Workers on the site yesterday said there was one small shed at the bottom of the site which they were allowed to eat meat in.

    A source close to the Oswals, who did not want to be named, said some workers had continued to eat meat on the site "just to spite them".

    Mr Oswal, who is in New York this week helping Mrs Oswal prepare for the launch of her vegetarian fast-food chain, Otarian, defended the meat ban, saying "This is our home".

    Mrs Oswal has previously accused the meat industry of "raping the earth".
    "Meat eating is creating bad karma and you are also creating a vicious cycle," she said.

    "It's destroying us environmentally, economically and socially. I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I've always been a vegetarian so I have always felt strongly about it.

    "First, because of religious reasons, but then later because I realised the greater good associated with it."

    The house, expected to be finished at the end of 2011, will have a gymnasium the size of a regular Perth house, a beauty salon, an observatory, parking for 17 cars and a swimming pool 10 times bigger than the average back yard.


  2. #2
    Banned for deleting Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,671
    Quite right too, filthy practice.


  3. #3
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,876
    Don't agree with them myself, but, if they're paying the bills, I guess they get to make the call.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    08-03-2015 @ 08:12 PM
    Posts
    1,927
    ^If they made the call before they hired meat eaters, I'd agree with you. But I guess they hired these meat eaters and later told them what they can and cannot eat.

  5. #5
    Banned for deleting Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,671
    They would have a hard time finding veggie builders, plus pissed off builders without their ham sarnies could find dozens of ways to payback the daft Indians having the place built.

  6. #6
    Scene, not herd.
    Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    16-06-2010 @ 12:13 AM
    Location
    Liddle Towers
    Posts
    1,518
    How do these people get Australian citizenship?

  7. #7
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,876
    All good points. Seems like it could be solved by just letting the lads eat off the edge of the property to avoid "pollution" of the property. Since their business, which appears to make them a ton of money, is veggie food, they sound fairly adamant.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Mrs Oswal has previously accused the meat industry of "raping the earth". "Meat eating is creating bad karma and you are also creating a vicious cycle," she said.
    Sure, but their gluttonous usage of land and materials to build their mega-mansion, not to mention the poisonous fertilizers to keep their landscaped estate looking pristine, the chemicals to keep the water in their enormous pool clear, the invitation to 17 cars for parking (which are also part of the equation when considering the environment), their future drain on the electric grid, etc. is just fine.

    Another vegetarian/vegan hypocrite.
    Eat more Cheezy Poofs!

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Give me the chance to earn good money, I'd eat grass. Not a big deal to ask for is it ? I'd think most builders would be challenged if asked to bring vegetarian sandwiches.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by BugginOut
    Sure, but their gluttonous usage of land and materials to build their mega-mansion, not to mention the poisonous fertilizers to keep their landscaped estate looking pristine, the chemicals to keep the water in their enormous pool clear, the invitation to 17 cars for parking (which are also part of the equation when considering the environment), their future drain on the electric grid, etc. is just fine.
    Speculation

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BugginOut
    Sure, but their gluttonous usage of land and materials to build their mega-mansion, not to mention the poisonous fertilizers to keep their landscaped estate looking pristine, the chemicals to keep the water in their enormous pool clear, the invitation to 17 cars for parking (which are also part of the equation when considering the environment), their future drain on the electric grid, etc. is just fine.
    Speculation
    I've never used a speculum in my life.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by BugginOut
    I've never used a speculum in my life.
    Don't worry it's all in the mind, and won't hurt.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy
    But I guess they hired these meat eaters and later told them what they can and cannot eat.
    Thats the normal Indian way, do a deal then they keep changing the goal posts, never forget the old Thai saying, if you come across an Indian and a snake which do you kill first....

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    How do these people get Australian citizenship?
    They haven't, they have work permits and while using cheap Ozzie gas are moaning like fvck about the difficulties of getting residence.

    Oswal settles into a stuffed sofa chair in their opulent sitting room, while two older women in saris bustle around bringing sweet tea in silver cups; they are family staff brought in from India on domestic worker visas. The visa issue (including his own) rankles. “Your Government is not opening its doors for labour to come in. You make it so difficult for one person to come in … It takes six weeks to issue a 457 visa – six weeks!

    “Look at me,” he says, leaning forward and warming to the topic. “If I was living in Europe or America, they would have given me citizenship on a platter. They would have said, ‘Mr Oswal, we would love to have you here. You are free to live here because you’ve created so much employment.’ What has the Government done? Nothing, they keep fighting with me for my 457 visa.” Later, he admits that 457 visa status allows him to bring in domestic staff from India, and being offered Australian citizenship would have tax implications. But clearly he’d like to be asked.

    At the heart of his mild indignation is a belief that he’s done Australia a big favour and deserves to be recognised for it. Others would agree with him, including West Australian Premier Alan Carpenter, who had been in the job only a few weeks when, in April 2006, he flew north to officiate with Oswal at the opening of Burrup Fertilisers’ ammonia plant.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Thats the normal Indian way, do a deal then they keep changing the goal posts, never forget the old Thai saying, if you come across an Indian and a snake which do you kill first....
    That's rich coming from a Thai. There's an old snake saying, if you come across an Indian and a Thai, which do you kill first ? Both.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BugginOut
    I've never used a speculum in my life.
    Don't worry it's all in the mind, and won't hurt.
    Well, that explains it all.

  17. #17
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Posts
    28,500
    A bit short sighted by the silly old Indian Duck trying to ban the workers from having their preferred lunch whilst working on her site.

    The Oswal's should of had a clause written into the construction contract stipulating that insulting food substances could not be consumed on their land and secondly she could of set up a mobile kitchen selling her vegetarian food including Chicken Curry and Vegetable Samosas as well as other acceptable grub the aussies love to eat at cost.

    Waving a red flag in front of the union bull will get them nowhere.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    selling her vegetarian food including Chicken Curry
    Is chicken a vegetable ?

  19. #19
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Posts
    28,500
    Quote Originally Posted by superman
    Is chicken a vegetable ?
    I should of typed as well as but apart from that do you agree with my post?

  20. #20
    R.I.P.
    toslti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Online
    22-09-2018 @ 07:53 AM
    Location
    Wongamat, Pattaya
    Posts
    2,038
    I think that Disney had problems whilst building Eurodisney at Marne La Vallee..... the Frog builders were used to having wine with their lunch but the Disney rule was no alcohol on site.... so the frogs went on strike... result... OK for the wine.

    When Marriott built the adjacent Village D'Ile de France resort the builders used to have a BBQ every Friday out the back using scrap wood and that was a very boozy session.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Fok 'em .

    If the wogs (Indians) want to live here they need to go with flow.

    I sincerely hope the unions go for this.

    If they hadn't stated they're perverse requirements in the initial contract they should fok off.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    The group's Paradeep complex, a huge phosphate fertiliser plant, failed after an extremely questionable history, including the death of workers resulting from an explosion. During trial production from January 1, 2000, the complex suffered a series of explosions, fires and gas leakages, resulting in the death of eight workers and injuries to 58 others.
    Pankaj's Burrup firm also hit an environmental bump on its road to success, in the form of an ammonia spill in 2006 -- such a spill can kill wildlife and make humans sick or even die. It was claimed the mishap was due to poor management of the plant.
    At last year's Burrup Fertilisers annual party, Radhika stood up for what some guests said was about 40 minutes to deliver a tirade against meat-eating. At least two guests walked out during the speech, in which she declared that meat eaters were "covering the world in shit" due to the build-up of livestock excrement.
    Oh, and this:
    Doubt clouds rise over Oswals

    I just may have to agree with DD in the case of these two.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    Oswal settles into a stuffed sofa chair in their opulent sitting room, while two older women in saris bustle around bringing sweet tea in silver cups; they are family staff brought in from India on domestic worker visas. The visa issue (including his own) rankles. “Your Government is not opening its doors for labour to come in. You make it so difficult for one person to come in … It takes six weeks to issue a 457 visa – six weeks! “Look at me,” he says, leaning forward and warming to the topic. “If I was living in Europe or America, they would have given me citizenship on a platter. They would have said, ‘Mr Oswal, we would love to have you here. You are free to live here because you’ve created so much employment.’ What has the Government done? Nothing, they keep fighting with me for my 457 visa.” Later, he admits that 457 visa status allows him to bring in domestic staff from India, and being offered Australian citizenship would have tax implications. But clearly he’d like to be asked. At the heart of his mild indignation is a belief that he’s done Australia a big favour and deserves to be recognised for it. Others would agree with him, including West Australian Premier Alan Carpenter, who had been in the job only a few weeks when, in April 2006, he flew north to officiate with Oswal at the opening of Burrup Fertilisers’ ammonia plant. peterpan is offline Add to peterpan's Reputation Report Post Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

    link please.

  24. #24
    ding ding ding
    Spin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,608
    No doubt the workers will be burying goat, cow, and buffalo carcasses, all curse by black magic in the foundations........just for good measure....

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    Going to work on a building site with only veggies on the menu is probably a first or very rare happening. For the white man. Have to agree with teddy on this as advertising for non-meat-eating workers would have been difficult . Especially experienced ones. A substancial breakfast and lunch to give one the energy to do a days work. Veggies wouldn't do that . Surely. It's a demanding job .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •