Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    08-03-2015 @ 08:12 PM
    Posts
    1,927

    prove you are not a pedophile before you get a job in the UK

    Builders and driving instructors among one in five workers caught in frenzy of paedophile vetting



    By Steve Doughty
    Last updated at 1:01 AM on 20th March 2010


    'Potential paedophile': Builders must register with the state (Posed by model)

    Driving instructors, home helps, speech therapists, builders and Sunday school teachers will all have to register with the state under new child protection laws, it was revealed yesterday.
    Cleaners, prison officers, children’s football referees, weight loss instructors, opera singers and St John Ambulance volunteers are also among the nine million who must pass a new vetting procedure – because their work may bring them into contact with children or vulnerable adults.
    The full breakdown of workers and volunteers who must be given licences by the Government prompted a flood of protests and mockery.
    Those required to undergo checks – and obtain a number that shows they are allowed to work with children – even include the Government’s own Children’s Commissioner.
    Council members, teachers, probation officers and the computer experts who run the Government’s child safety database also need to register.
    Organisations ranging from Brownie groups to ballet schools will face fines of £5,000 if they mistakenly use a volunteer who turns out to have been barred under the scheme.
    In all, more than one in five of the adult population will have to undergo checks to work in ‘regulated activity’ for a ‘regulated activity provider’ – the official phrase for any organisation which has dealings with children or vulnerable adults, from Scout troops to hospitals.
    They will be assessed according to the system used by the Criminal Records Bureau, which already runs background checks on more than three million candidates a year who apply for roles involving children or vulnerable adults.
    However, the new scheme will not replace CRB checks, so some may be forced to undergo two similar investigations by two different organisations before they can take up a post.


    Guidelines on the workings of the controversial Vetting and Barring Scheme were published yesterday by the Independent Safeguarding Authority, the quango that will run it.


    More...


    The new rules, developed in the wake of the murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman by Ian Huntley in Soham in 2002, will come into operation this year, but critics have pointed out the £200million programme would not have prevented the girls’ deaths.
    The number of people who must register has been cut back from 11million to nine million, after authors visiting schools and people who help look after friends’ children were dropped from the vetting lists.
    But those whose jobs have nothing to do with children will have to register if they work in places where children are to be found. Guidelines published yesterday said ‘ regulated activity’ could include ‘catering, cleaning, administrative and maintenance’ staff.
    Those barred under the scheme do not need to have committed any crime. The ISA can take a decision to bar them on reports about their behaviour from third parties.
    Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: ‘You just have to ask where all of this is going to stop.
    ‘Of course we should check those who work closely with children and vulnerable adults, but the scale of what the Government is doing seems to be abandoning all common sense.

    'We will scale back all of this, and make sure we have the simple, common sense vetting system that we need and not the over-the-top approach that the Government has adopted.’
    Alex Deane, of anti-surveillance pressure group Big Brother Watch, said: ‘The Government seems determined to stamp out volunteering in this country.
    ‘This database of nine million people is an intrusive and absurd initiative which will do irreparable damage to scouting, disability care, sports activities and a range of other charitable and volunteer organisations.’

  2. #2
    Member
    graym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    20-02-2019 @ 12:31 PM
    Location
    Krabi
    Posts
    682
    What about midwifes and hospital staff involved in delivering babies? I mean, all those hands on your child even before you get to hold it - disgusting...

    I suppose this kind of knee jerk reaction to this issue was inevitable but one wonders how far it can go.

    Nice post, should run a bit...
    de gustibus non est disputandum

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    ^Shop workers, heaven forbid a child might go into tesco to buy something, basically all the service industry, fish and chip shop workers, life guards, you just know they only do it to grope the kids they are saving, does seem a tad over the top.

  4. #4
    I am in Jail
    Camel Toe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    18-02-2017 @ 10:41 AM
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    3,718
    A nurse tried to touch me once.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    08-03-2015 @ 08:12 PM
    Posts
    1,927
    Years ago in the UK a crying lost kid was walking towards me as I was the only adult around. I turned around and walked away. What would be assumed about me if I comforted the kid scared me. It looks as though it's even worse over there now. It's a society that pushes you to become an arsehole.
    Last edited by teddy; 20-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.

  6. #6
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,876
    Didn't see clergy of any type on the list. Interesting.

  7. #7
    Member
    graym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    20-02-2019 @ 12:31 PM
    Location
    Krabi
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Didn't see clergy of any type on the list. Interesting.
    Green coming at you...

  8. #8
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toe View Post
    A nurse tried to touch me once.
    A couple of Filipino nurses and a Chinese Malay nurse touched me 'down there' on repeated occasions but as I was in my 20's at the time and I was also touching them it would be churlish to try and sue them for ' unfinished work ' after a lapse of 30 years.

  9. #9
    I am in Jail
    Camel Toe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    18-02-2017 @ 10:41 AM
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    3,718
    I would have reported them!!!

  10. #10
    Banned for deleting Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,671
    Dirty politicians will no longer be kissing babies then? UK is sick.

  11. #11
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toe View Post
    A nurse tried to touch me once.
    A nurse told me I had to stop wanking once.

    When I asked why, she said "because I am trying to examine you"....

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    BugginOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    In the hearts of cats.
    Posts
    1,250
    Just putting the finishing touches on the national database before implanting RFID chips in everyone.

  13. #13
    Enjoys sheep
    mr Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    01-05-2011 @ 07:47 PM
    Location
    Barnsley, Central Java
    Posts
    1,842
    I've had a CRB check as I was working with kids and local councils in the UK.
    To keep the work I had to have the check. Given I was always working in public places like town centre shows, I think it was a bit pointless. I could hardly start touching a kid up on stage and get away with it.
    Ho hum, it will stop terrorists messing with kids so it can't be a bad thing.
    I'll bet photographers will be next on the list. Imagine some dirty old bastard roaming free with a camera. He could easily take pictures of children and wank off in the shower when he gets home.
    No bloody buying cameras without a CRB check because everybody is a kiddie shagging bastard unless they can prove otherwise.
    Be happy dudes. It's a lot more fun than crying.

  14. #14
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,760
    Quote Originally Posted by mr Fred View Post
    I've had a CRB check as I was working with kids and local councils in the UK.
    .
    I suppose, seriously, its a long an heavy handed way on getting to grips with a serious problem. It will not stop kiddie fiddlers, it won't stop first timers, so to speak - but hopefully it will stop people convicted of sex offenses against kids from getting employed again in situations where they are around kids. Once is bad enough, but society has no fucking excuse for putting people in a position where they have offended the opportunity to do it again.

    It also seems to put the onus on the employer to some extent, to make sure the people they employ around kids- well, the best is, they have not been caught yet...

  15. #15
    Member deathstardan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    26-11-2018 @ 04:07 PM
    Location
    The Dark Side Of The Moon
    Posts
    725
    As soon as we get the bleeding heart Labour out the better. The UK has turned into a joke with these idiots.

    I never, ever thought of wanting a Conservative government but now I think it's all that's left that can stop the rot...

    I'm ashamed that I voted for these cunts....twice.......

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    04-01-2014 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by mr Fred View Post
    I'll bet photographers will be next on the list.
    They already are in a manner of speaking; try taking pictures of children innocently at a school or elsewhere and if called the police will show up for sure. On the other hand try entering a swimming pool or other public venue where there are or likely to be children with a camera in your mobile phone and they will either take it off you or refuse entry even when you are with your own kids. What should be looked at is the inefficiency of the police when dealing with sex offenders, a fact show all too well by the Ian Huntley case.

  17. #17
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    What about policemen they have to deal with kids

  18. #18
    Enjoys sheep
    mr Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    01-05-2011 @ 07:47 PM
    Location
    Barnsley, Central Java
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr Fred View Post
    I'll bet photographers will be next on the list.
    They already are in a manner of speaking; try taking pictures of children innocently at a school or elsewhere and if called the police will show up for sure. .
    I read a very interesting thread on another forum about problems photographers were having with heavy handed cops and security guards.
    Seems newspaper types and Joe public are both getting stick for talking a photo of something as innocent as an interesting building in case they are terrorists.
    Train spotters are kopping for it as well. I suppose they could be wearing suicide anoraks.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    04-01-2014 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by mr Fred View Post
    I read a very interesting thread on another forum about problems photographers were having with heavy handed cops and security guards.
    I have heard of read of both; the stupidity of the situation is this is just the kind of thing that plays right into the terrorists hands. The whole purpose of the acts was not simply to kill people (acknowledging the fact they didn't give a damn if they did) but to instil fear, mistrust and division amongst societies. This is what we now largely have not least because of politicians and certain governments with the misfortune that the UK persistently sucks up to the Americans.

    The only example of the terrorists plans back-firing I can think of is Spain where people shortly afterwards people bonded together and marched through the capital - just what the terrorists did not want to see.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight; 20-03-2010 at 05:25 PM.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    The particular angle of a media story easily leads you by the nose doesn't it Teakdoor readers.

    Whether its a story ridiculing excess paedophile regulation, or on the other hand, one shrieking about how passports need to be withheld to people on the suspect list. You all move in the herd direction that the reporter prods you !

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    SiLeakHunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    13-02-2018 @ 10:05 PM
    Location
    Koh Tannga
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim View Post
    What about policemen they have to deal with kids
    Everybody knows the police are above the law and inscrutiable !

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    SiLeakHunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    13-02-2018 @ 10:05 PM
    Location
    Koh Tannga
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr Fred View Post
    I've had a CRB check as I was working with kids and local councils in the UK.
    .
    I suppose, seriously, its a long an heavy handed way on getting to grips with a serious problem. It will not stop kiddie fiddlers, it won't stop first timers, so to speak - but hopefully it will stop people convicted of sex offenses against kids from getting employed again in situations where they are around kids. Once is bad enough, but society has no fucking excuse for putting people in a position where they have offended the opportunity to do it again.

    It also seems to put the onus on the employer to some extent, to make sure the people they employ around kids- well, the best is, they have not been caught yet...

    I knew a guy who was a copper who told me that per head of population there are no more sexual offences against children than there ever have been in the past it's just the ghoulish British media for some reason likes scaring us into thinking the world's full of paedophiles, muslim terrorists, smack heads and benfit cheats.

    Mind you having queued up at Bolton Post Office yesterday it seems there's an element of truth in it ..

    Cheers

  23. #23
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,760
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLeakHunt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr Fred View Post
    I've had a CRB check as I was working with kids and local councils in the UK.
    .
    I suppose, seriously, its a long an heavy handed way on getting to grips with a serious problem. It will not stop kiddie fiddlers, it won't stop first timers, so to speak - but hopefully it will stop people convicted of sex offenses against kids from getting employed again in situations where they are around kids. Once is bad enough, but society has no fucking excuse for putting people in a position where they have offended the opportunity to do it again.

    It also seems to put the onus on the employer to some extent, to make sure the people they employ around kids- well, the best is, they have not been caught yet...
    I knew a guy who was a copper who told me that per head of population there are no more sexual offences against children than there ever have been in the past it's just the ghoulish British media for some reason likes scaring us into thinking the world's full of paedophiles, muslim terrorists, smack heads and benfit cheats.

    Mind you having queued up at Bolton Post Office yesterday it seems there's an element of truth in it ..

    Cheers
    I know what you are saying abut the media. I do think however that a lot of it was "kept quiet" in the old days (look at the church scandals now, based on stuff 30+ years ago!). But also think there have been too many cases of people who clearly should be nowhere around kids getting jobs etc that bring them into close contact.

    Me - personally, I think "Paedophile" branded on their head would have just the same effect and would cause a lot less inconvenience to the rest of society, as well as being significantly cheaper.

    Sadly, no one asked me for my opinion....

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    04-01-2014 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog View Post
    The particular angle of a media story easily leads you by the nose doesn't it Teakdoor readers.

    Whether its a story ridiculing excess paedophile regulation, or on the other hand, one shrieking about how passports need to be withheld to people on the suspect list. You all move in the herd direction that the reporter prods you !
    Well said, the Daily Mail for example is one particular right-wing rag that rarely if ever extends beyond mere sensationalism and maligning one particular political party while failing to mention the short-comings of the one it favours.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    04-01-2014 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLeakHunt View Post
    I knew a guy who was a copper who told me that per head of population there are no more sexual offences against children than there ever have been in the past it's just the ghoulish British media for some reason likes scaring us into thinking the world's full of paedophiles, muslim terrorists, smack heads and benfit cheats.
    The Daily Mail and Sun strike again, maybe the just want to divert people's attention away from other issues so the evil politician's to name but a few can continue raiding the nation's coffers in order to continue in their own extravagant life-style.

    As regards sexual offences against children the one solemn fact never mentioned in the media is; in the majority of cases the perpetrator of the crime is either related or in some way connected to the family of the victim. Random attacks although they happen are mercifully very rare.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •