The Thailand Forum

The Thailand expat forum for Travel, Lifestyle and Fun.



Welcome to the TeakDoor.com The Thailand Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view some discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us

TeakDoor Advertising Rates

Forum Home Donate Arcade Chat Room Gallery Blog Mark Forums Read
Go Back   TeakDoor.com - The Thailand Forum > Living And Legal Affairs In Thailand > Thailand and Asia News > World News
Home Register TD Links FAQ Members List Calendar Weather Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World News The forum for posting news events from all over the world, ie America, Australia, Africa, Europe and any where else that isn't in Asia.

Thai Dating  Savile Row Fashion Bangkok

Thai Dating  Thai Baht Currency Converter  World Time Zones  Advertise on TeakDoor

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
I am in Jail
 
Last Online: Today 07:24 AM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,550
AntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand Expat
Humans to blame for climate change - scientists

Humans to blame for climate change - scientists


Man-made emissions are largely to blame for climate change, according to new research. File photo / Alan Gibson

Climate scientists have delivered a powerful riposte to their sceptical critics with a study that strengthens the case for saying global warming is largely the result of man-made emissions of greenhouse gases.

The researchers found that no other possible natural phenomenon, such as volcanic eruptions or variations in the activity of the sun, could explain the significant warming of the planet over the past half century as recorded on every continent including Antarctica.

It is only when the warming effect of emitting millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere from human activity is considered that it is possible to explain why global average temperatures have risen so significantly since the middle of the 20th century.

The study updates a 2007 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and has discovered several new elements of the global climate which have been influenced by humans, such as an increasing amount of water vapour evaporating from the warmer oceans into the atmosphere and a corresponding increase in the saltiness of the sea.

"There is an increasingly remote possibility that climate change is dominated by natural rather than anthropogenic [man-made] factors," the scientists concluded in their study, published in the journal Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews of Climate Change.

Scientific observations based on temperature recordings on every continent, as well as thermometer readings on, in and above the oceans, leave "little room for doubt" that the earth is warming, but trying to attribute a cause for this global warming is not possible unless man-made activity in the form of carbon dioxide emissions is taken into account, the scientists said.

The review, led by Peter Stott of the Met Office Hadley Centre in Exeter, found the "fingerprints" of human activity on many different aspects of climate change, including the overall warming of the Antarctic recently documented for the first time by other researchers.

"The observations cannot be explained by natural factors," Dr Stott said. Since 1980, the Earth has warmed by about 0.5C and is now warming at a rate of about 0.16C per decade, with even higher rates at higher latitudes such as in the Arctic.

"The fingerprint of human influence has been detected in many different aspects of observed climate change. We've seen it in temperature, and increases in atmospheric humidity, we've seen it in salinity changes. We've seen it in reductions in Arctic sea ice and changing rainfall patterns," Dr Stott said.

"What we see here are observations consistent with a warming world. This wealth of evidence we have now shows there is an increasingly remote possibility of climate change being dominated by natural factors rather than human factors."

He dismissed suggestions that variations in solar activity - the intensity of the sun - could explain warming patterns over the past few decades. If the sun was responsible then both the upper and lower atmosphere would be getting warmer, instead of just the lower atmosphere as predicted by computer models of greenhouse gas warming.

He also said more water vapour is evaporating into the atmosphere as a result of warmer oceans and this is driving the water cycle harder, causing wetter areas in northern latitudes such as Britain to get wetter and drier areas in tropical regions such as East Africa to get drier.

Asked whether climate sceptics would agree with the findings, Dr Stott said: "I just hope people look at the evidence of how the climate is changing in such a systematic way. I hope they make up their minds on the scientific evidence."
- INDEPENDENT

Humans to blame for climate change - scientists - World - NZ Herald News



The last paragraph bears repeating and highlighting:

Asked whether climate sceptics would agree with the findings, Dr Stott said: "I just hope people look at the evidence of how the climate is changing in such a systematic way. I hope they make up their minds on the scientific evidence."
AntRobertson is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Thailand Company Registration
Gods of Thailand
Bangkok Escort
Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thailand Expat
 
The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 01:47 AM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,084
The Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand Expat
Unfortunately its really not viable to expect people to make up their minds based on scientific evidence, simply because that evidence (including mathematical modelling involving not only statistics but assumptions*) is too complex for ordinary mortals to decipher.

So we have to rely to a great extent on what the scientists tell us.

However, where that goes wrong is that scientists appear to have become partisan. Falling into one lobby or another in advance means that an element of predisposition shades their conclusions.


*and there have been cases of course recently of statistics being cherry picked and mathematical assumptions being subjectivised.
The Ghost Of The Moog is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thailand Expat
 
chassamui's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 01:59 AM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Transit
Posts: 4,932
chassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expat
Can't wait for the incoming from the climate change denial group.............
chassamui is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pronce. PH said so!
 
slackula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
Posts: 3,603
slackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassamui
Can't wait for the incoming from the climate change denial group
Climate change AND a thread started by Ant. This'll be a trainwreck
slackula is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
MustavaMond's Avatar
 
Last Online: 14-04-2011 09:43 PM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Moon's Shadow
Posts: 921
MustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand ExpatMustavaMond Thailand Expat
I find it amazing that people can believe 5 thousand years of deforestation, having reached crucial levels,( like 75% is gone? ) - and the last 100 years of massive of CO 2 and other emissions hasn't any effect on the the thin shell of gas we breathe.
MustavaMond is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Out there...
 
StrontiumDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 40,039
StrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand ExpatStrontiumDog Thailand Expat
People will only believe it when it happens to them, which of course is too late. Ho hum.
StrontiumDog is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
nid aur yw popeth melyn
 
britmaveric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pattaya
Posts: 4,321
britmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expatbritmaveric Thailand Expat
^funny how many believe in this Sh*te. Of course climate is changing that is the nature at work. Def nothing to do with man.
britmaveric is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
I am in Jail
 
Last Online: Today 07:24 AM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,550
AntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand Expat
Apparently the last paragraph bears repeating and highlighting... Again:

Asked whether climate sceptics would agree with the findings, Dr Stott said: "I just hope people look at the evidence of how the climate is changing in such a systematic way. I hope they make up their minds on the scientific evidence."

AntRobertson is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pronce. PH said so!
 
slackula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
Posts: 3,603
slackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expat

A review from the UK Met Office says it is becoming clearer that human activities are causing climate change.
It says the evidence is stronger now than when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change carried out its last assessment in 2007.
The analysis, published in the Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Climate Change Journal, has assessed 110 research papers on the subject.
It says the earth is changing rapidly, probably because of greenhouse gases.
In 2007 the IPCC's report concluded that there was "unequivocal" evidence that the Earth was warming and it was likely that it was due to burning of fossil fuels.
Since then the evidence that human activities are responsible for a rise in temperatures has increased, according to this new assessment by Dr Peter Stott and colleagues at the UK Met Office.
The Met Office study comes at a time when some have questioned the entire basis of climate science following recent controversies over the handling of research findings by the IPCC and the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia.
Dr Stott denies that the study has been published as part of a fight back by the climate research community.
"We started writing this paper a year ago. I think it's important to communicate to people what the science is showing and that's why I'm talking about this paper."
'Consistent picture'
The study, which looks at research published since the IPCC's report, has found that changes in Arctic sea ice, atmospheric moisture, saltiness of parts of the Atlantic Ocean and temperature changes in the Antarctic are consistent with human influence on our climate.
"What this study shows is that the evidence has strengthened for human influence on climate and we know that because we've looked at evidence across the climate system and what this shows very clearly is a consistent picture of a warming world," said Dr Stott.
The study brings together other research from a range of disciplines.

"We hadn't [until now] looked in detail at how the climate system was changing," says Dr Stott.
"[Our paper looks at] not just the temperatures but also the reducing Arctic sea ice and it includes changing rainfall patterns and it includes the fact that the atmosphere is getting more humid.
"And all these different aspects of the climate system are adding up to a picture of the effects of a human influence on our climate."
The Met Office study said that it was harder to find a firm link between climate change and individual extreme weather conditions - even though models predicted that extreme events were more likely.
According to the report: "Extremes pose a particular challenge, since rare events are by definition, poorly sampled in the historical record and many challenges remain for robustly attributing regional changes in extreme events such as droughts, floods and hurricanes."




/clickable
__________________
bibo ergo sum
slackula is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
RIP
 
blackgang's Avatar
 
Last Online: 08-07-2010 08:33 PM
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phetchabun city
Posts: 15,485
blackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expatblackgang Thailand Expat
Send a message via Skype™ to blackgang
there might be something to the rapidity of the change due to humans and their fucking up.
But to say that we are responsible for it to happen is horseshit.
It has happened before and even a couple of times before humans were even here, so what made it happen those times?
blackgang is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
vanfinkel's Avatar
 
Last Online: 31-03-2012 10:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 71
vanfinkel Spending a bit of time on Thai Travel forumsvanfinkel Spending a bit of time on Thai Travel forums
So that's why it has been so f..king cold this winter, it make sence since we have global warming everywhere.

Thanks for the info!
vanfinkel is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Excitable Boy
 
FailSafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Depends on your point of view...
Posts: 6,352
FailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanfinkel View Post
So that's why it has been so f..king cold this winter, it make sence since we have global warming everywhere.

Thanks for the info!
'Weather' and 'climate' are not the same thing- a relatively brief period like a single season is not an indicator either way- Australia has just had its hottest summer on record, but even that anecdotal example doesn't prove or disprove anything- look at the last 20 years, or the last 50- that is a telling period of time.

Average temperatures are up, ice is melting (entire communities in the Andes have lost their water supply due to lack of mountain ice)- something is going on- man has to be at least a contributor if not the main cause.
FailSafe is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thailand Expat
 
BobR's Avatar
 
Last Online: 26-07-2014 09:56 AM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,062
BobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand Expat
Donor
The problem may be that people no longer believe anything government tells them, or even go as far as to assume if the government says it is true it must be a lie. Can you blame them? I have to admit I don't know and I cannot make up my mind on this issue.
BobR is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
dotcom's Avatar
 
Last Online: 28-04-2013 10:48 PM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Big Mango Onnut
Posts: 695
dotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expatdotcom Thailand Expat
Pay no attention to that giant nuclear reactor that rises in the East every morning. That has NOTHING to do with it. NOTHING. The debate is settled.

The only way out is to raise taxes massively.

You huddle in your living room under a blanket with a candle for light.

Most of these alarmist weenies want other people to cut back while they fly their private jets.


Let me guess. You don't like GMO seeds & McDonald's either do you? Fook off.
__________________
Barack Hussein Obama lying polecat. Libs Only Comply With Laws They Agree With.
dotcom is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thailand Expat
 
billy the kid's Avatar
 
Last Online: Yesterday 06:41 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,243
billy the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expatbilly the kid Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustavaMond View Post
I find it amazing that people can believe 5 thousand years of deforestation, having reached crucial levels,( like 75% is gone? ) - and the last 100 years of massive of CO 2 and other emissions hasn't any effect on the the thin shell of gas we breathe.


,, immm probably took millions of years to make it possible for us creatures to survive on the planet and then we fuk it up in a heart-beat. What role did all the crude oil we've taken out have to play in it . When the poles have melted there will be nowt for the sun to reflect off And then but not least our lil animal friends can't wear sunglasses or use those special UV protective creams . After having cut down all their habitats to make some paper called the SUN Or to use as compost in the garden ,,,you know all the stupid things we do with wood. immmm. It's where all wealth comes from. Yet we put fuk all back. Could go on an on an on.Of course china and india are in the game now. Another 2 billion who want what we have.
billy the kid is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thailand Expat
 
The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 01:47 AM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,084
The Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand ExpatThe Ghost Of The Moog Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
Apparently the last paragraph bears repeating and highlighting... Again:

Asked whether climate sceptics would agree with the findings, Dr Stott said: "I just hope people look at the evidence of how the climate is changing in such a systematic way. I hope they make up their minds on the scientific evidence."


So....where is the evidence?

Because there wasn't much in that newspaper report. Just a series of statements.
The Ghost Of The Moog is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pronce. PH said so!
 
slackula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
Posts: 3,603
slackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expatslackula Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog
However, where that goes wrong is that scientists appear to have become partisan.
Something that journalists would never do right?
slackula is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Protected Status
 
kingwilly's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 11:18 AM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 53,180
kingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expatkingwilly Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
Apparently the last paragraph bears repeating and highlighting... Again:

Asked whether climate sceptics would agree with the findings, Dr Stott said: "I just hope people look at the evidence of how the climate is changing in such a systematic way. I hope they make up their minds on the scientific evidence."

It aint scientific evidence, it's modeling, a very big difference.
kingwilly is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
anonymous ant
 
tsicar's Avatar
 
Last Online: 09-07-2014 09:47 AM
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: isaan/south africa
Posts: 2,906
tsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expattsicar Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
Apparently the last paragraph bears repeating and highlighting... Again:

Asked whether climate sceptics would agree with the findings, Dr Stott said: "I just hope people look at the evidence of how the climate is changing in such a systematic way. I hope they make up their minds on the scientific evidence."

bullshit!
all bullshit!
if people made up their minds based on scientific evidence and FACTS that can be corroborated instead of scary-hairy-fairy theories that have NOT been proven, then all this bullshit will be seen to be just that:
bullshit!
tsicar is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
I am in Jail
 
Last Online: Today 07:24 AM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,550
AntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand ExpatAntRobertson Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog
So....where is the evidence?

Because there wasn't much in that newspaper report. Just a series of statements.
The same newspaper report that quite clearly references what the evidence is and exactly where it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsicar
bullshit! all bullshit! if people made up their minds based on scientific evidence and FACTS that can be corroborated instead of scary-hairy-fairy theories that have NOT been proven, then all this bullshit will be seen to be just that: bullshit!
Wait, let me see if I've got this straight...

Your rebuttal to a report from climate scientists and based on scientific evidence and testing is that it's bullshit based on theories, and not scientific evidence. Right, as you were then.
AntRobertson is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Scene, not herd.
 
Beadle's Avatar
 
Last Online: 16-06-2010 12:13 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liddle Towers
Posts: 1,520
Beadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand ExpatBeadle Thailand Expat
The human race will destroy this planet then it will either adapt, survive and move to another planet which it in turn will destroy or it will become extinct like the dinosaurs.
Beadle is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Thailand Company Registration
Gods of Thailand
Bangkok Escort
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
I am in Jail
 
Last Online: 22-11-2011 07:27 AM
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Christian Country
Posts: 15,067
Jet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand ExpatJet Gorgon Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
Man-made emissions are largely to blame for climate change, according to new research.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slackula View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassamui
Can't wait for the incoming from the climate change denial group
Climate change AND a thread started by Ant. This'll be a trainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
Your rebuttal to a report from climate scientists and based on scientific evidence and testing is that it's bullshit based on theories, and not scientific evidence.
Is that the UN scientist guy, then?


Thanks, Ant. What a fun start to a TD round.
Jet Gorgon is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Excitable Boy
 
FailSafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Depends on your point of view...
Posts: 6,352
FailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand ExpatFailSafe Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom View Post
Pay no attention to that giant nuclear reactor that rises in the East every morning. That has NOTHING to do with it. NOTHING. The debate is settled.
So the sun is the only factor that contributes to the Earth's temperature? If that were the case, temperatures could be predicted the same way that tide tables and sunrises and sunsets are predicted- they aren't, though- they vary from day-to-day (yes, variations in the Earth's orbit cause the seasons, but that's not the same thing).

There are other factors that hold the heat in (the same way the interior of your car is hotter than the ambient outside temperature after you park it in the sun for a while)- why is the average surface temperature of Venus higher than that of Mercury, even though it's further from the sun? Because it has an atmosphere that has a high proportion of greenhouse gases (Mercury has no atmosphere at all).

Mankind dumps a lot of greenhouse gases into the Earth's atmosphere- is the rise in global temperatures over the last century a coincidence? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.
FailSafe is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Thailand Expat
 
chassamui's Avatar
 
Last Online: Today 01:59 AM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Transit
Posts: 4,932
chassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expatchassamui Thailand Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe
So the sun is the only factor that contributes to the Earth's temperature? If that were the case, temperatures could be predicted the same way that tide tables and sunrises and sunsets are predicted- they aren't, though- they vary from day-to-day (yes, variations in the Earth's orbit cause the seasons, but that's not the same thing). There are other factors that hold the heat in (the same way the interior of your car is hotter than the ambient outside temperature after you park it in the sun for a while)- why is the average surface temperature of Venus higher than that of Mercury, even though it's further from the sun? Because it has an atmosphere that has a high proportion of greenhouse gases (Mercury has no atmosphere at all). Mankind dumps a lot of greenhouse gases into the Earth's atmosphere- is the rise in global temperatures over the last century a coincidence? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.
Now why can't people like Jet moron make sensible debate like this? Stick to merkin politics Jettie, and don't pretend you know anything about real important stuff.
chassamui is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Thailand Expat
 
BobR's Avatar
 
Last Online: 26-07-2014 09:56 AM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,062
BobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand ExpatBobR Thailand Expat
Donor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom
Pay no attention to that giant nuclear reactor that rises in the East every morning. That has NOTHING to do with it. NOTHING. The debate is settled.
I like that comment. Sometimes humor can be very intelligent.
BobR is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Register Forum Home Donate FAQ Members List Calendar

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

TeakDoor Advertising Rates

All times are GMT +7. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 PL2
Copyright 2005 - 2013 by TeakDoor.com
Page generated in 0.46153 seconds with 22 queries