Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Member
    MustavaMond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    17-07-2015 @ 11:54 AM
    Location
    Moon's Shadow
    Posts
    920

    USA: Lawsuit Filed re Student Detained at Airport for Arabic Studycards

    Arabic flashcards land student in U.S. detention | Reuters



    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


    Arabic flashcards land student in U.S. detention

    Jon Hurdle
    PHILADELPHIA
    Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:02pm EST






    PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Federal agents detained and interrogated a U.S. college student at the Philadelphia airport simply because we was carrying a set of English-Arabic flashcards, a lawsuit alleged on Wednesday.
    U.S.
    The American Civil Liberties Union said it filed the suit on behalf Nicholas George, 22, a language student at Pomona College in California who was held at Philadelphia International Airport for nearly five hours in August 2009.
    George, a U.S. citizen from the Philadelphia suburb of Wyncote, was on his way back to college when airport security officers found him carrying the flashcards, each of which had an English word on one side and its Arabic equivalent on the other, the ACLU said.


    The U.S. Transportation Security Administration questioned him, and a TSA supervisor asked him how he felt about the September 11 attacks, whether he knew "who did 9/11," and whether he knew what language Osama bin Laden spoke, the ACLU said.


    He was handcuffed and left in a locked cell for two hours before being "abusively" interrogated by two FBI agents, but was never told why he was being detained, the ACLU said.



    The lawsuit, filed in U.S. district court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, charges that officers from the TSA, FBI and Philadelphia police violated George's constitutional rights of free speech and to be free from unreasonable seizure.
    "As someone who travels by plane, I want TSA agents to do their job to keep flights safe," George said in a statement. "But I don't understand how locking me up and harassing me just because I was carrying the flashcards made anybody safer."
    Neither the federal agencies nor the Philadelphia police could be reached for comment.
    (Editing by Daniel Trotta)



    Profiteering From War and Disease, Corporate Owned "News" Media Deliberately Dis-Informs in Order to Further Its Own Agenda- PROFIT

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Unreal, Amerika is plunging the depths of paranoria, bigotry and sheer idiocy, just when you think they cannot get any worse.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    Quote Originally Posted by MustavaMond
    Neither the federal agencies nor the Philadelphia police could be reached for comment.
    Can take a little time to make up a politically correct comeback

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,527
    Federal agents detained and interrogated a U.S. college student at the Philadelphia airport simply because we was carrying a set of English-Arabic flashcards
    Terrorists - 1,235
    US - 0

  5. #5
    nid aur yw popeth melyn
    britmaveric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    4,319
    Good on the yanks!!

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,527
    Yep -- abrogating their own personal freedoms, living in a constant state of fear and paranoia...

    That'll learn them terrorists and show them who is boss!

    Terrorists - 1,834
    US - 0

  7. #7
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    I believe that a major part of the problem is the absolute morons they have hired to 'enforce security' at America's airports. They hire them away from Burger King, dress them up in black fatigue uniforms, and put them in an immigration booth or cruising along the lines looking for 'terrorists'. I entered the US through LAX about two years ago; it was the first time I had been in the US in several years. Just for the purposes of profiling, I am American by birth, white, at the time 59 years old, and a retired US federal government employee. When I hit the immigration booth, I was asked, "Why are you coming to American?" I responded, "Because I am an American, and I felt like it." I was then asked, "Why do you live in the Philippines?" I responded, "Because I choose to do so." He then said, "But this is the greatest country in the world, isn't it?" I responded, "Depends on your perspective." At this point, a supervisor, who had been within earshot, came over and told him to stamp my passport. Unreal.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,360
    Federal agents detained and interrogated a U.S. college student at the Philadelphia airport simply because we was carrying a set of English-Arabic flashcards, a lawsuit alleged on Wednesday.
    big fuss about nothing, the yank should have known better than to carry such stuff in his hand luggage through an airport during these paranoid times, looking for a lawsuit and some compensation from the outset i would say.
    no doubt lippy to the fbi as well in order to wind them up.

    i'd probably get the same welcome in saudi if i tried entering with a bible.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Agent_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:58 AM
    Location
    Pre-Apocalyptic Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    i'd probably get the same welcome in saudi if i tried entering with a bible.
    Don't you see how that invalidates your argument? Or did you really mean to say that the US is a backward, medieval, religiously intolerant country?

  10. #10
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    29-10-2012 @ 08:21 PM
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Smith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    i'd probably get the same welcome in saudi if i tried entering with a bible.
    Don't you see how that invalidates your argument? Or did you really mean to say that the US is a backward, medieval, religiously intolerant country?
    LOL +++++

    Good one!!

    Just want to point out that while the border guards might be bad from time to time, they are different from the TSA, which is idiotic and annoying at pretty much all times.

  11. #11
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    are they completely retarded ? oh wait, Americans

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,360
    Don't you see how that invalidates your argument? Or did you really mean to say that the US is a backward, medieval, religiously intolerant country?
    it doesnt invalidate my argument at all, in the usa these students will get their day in court and be exonerated, and if their lawyers are devious enough they might get a cheque at the expense of the taxpayers as well.

    the whole thing is a storm in a teacup, some loudmouth students pushing their luck with security guards looking for some fun to relieve the boredom of their duties and suffering some slight inconvenience as a result, in saudi you would just be punished , severely.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    The US Government has hired absolute morons to staff the TSA and the Department of Homeland Security and they deserve to be sued every time one of these clowns violates anyones rights. I personally would like to see more of the clowns who abuse their authority in these jobs forced to pay judgments out of their own pocket instead of it being done with taxpayers money.
    Freedom means the right to be "left alone" by Government. Without that, you have nothing.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,527
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    ...some loudmouth students pushing their luck with security guards...
    That's quite an assumption and inference to be making. It's equally as valid to say the guy was innocently carrying the cards.

    Actually it's more likely that the guy wouldn't have had the first inkling of the strife they landed him in.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    I believe that a major part of the problem is the absolute morons they have hired to 'enforce security' at America's airports. They hire them away from Burger King, dress them up in black fatigue uniforms, and put them in an immigration booth or cruising along the lines looking for 'terrorists'. I entered the US through LAX about two years ago; it was the first time I had been in the US in several years. Just for the purposes of profiling, I am American by birth, white, at the time 59 years old, and a retired US federal government employee. When I hit the immigration booth, I was asked, "Why are you coming to American?" I responded, "Because I am an American, and I felt like it." I was then asked, "Why do you live in the Philippines?" I responded, "Because I choose to do so." He then said, "But this is the greatest country in the world, isn't it?" I responded, "Depends on your perspective." At this point, a supervisor, who had been within earshot, came over and told him to stamp my passport. Unreal.

    At least the supervisor had a little intelligence. The Worst I've encountered on 2 separate occasions entering the USA are the "females with an attitude" who feel compelled to harass any single male travelling from Thailand or any other country known for sex tourism. Very difficult to keep your patience with nonsense such as that.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Yankerikkka truly defeated.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,360
    Actually it's more likely that the guy wouldn't have had the first inkling of the strife they landed him in.
    correct .....but only if the guy had been in a coma for 10 years before arriving at the airport !

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,527
    I suppose, comes back to the issue of paranoia I guess.

    Me personally though, prior to this I would've thought you'd have not a worry in the world over carrying some flash cards for language study.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Agent_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:58 AM
    Location
    Pre-Apocalyptic Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    the whole thing is a storm in a teacup
    Yes it is, because the TSA overreacted to some Arabic flashcards. Items that are neither prohibited nor dangerous.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,527
    Items that are neither prohibited nor dangerous
    If you flung them just so you might be able to inflict a nasty papercut on someone that, if left untreated, could become infected and cause discomfort.

    F'king terrorists!

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Simon43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:21 PM
    Location
    Luang Prabang
    Posts
    2,820
    Jeez, I often travel with both Arabic and Farsi language books, dictionaries and even flashcards! (I am attempting to become a multi-talented polyglot...)

    I think if I travel to the USA I better restrict this to just Spanish

    Simon

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,527
    ^Spanish... Spain... Home of the Basque Nationalist group the ETA, declared a "terrorist organisation" by the US!?

    Are you crazy man?? That's rubber-glove treatment at the very least!


  23. #23
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    ^Not to mention Mexican drug cartels, Colombians, etc, etc. Plus illegal aliens. You're fucked for sure. Take Canadian flash cards; they're always neat, clean, tidy and safe.

  24. #24
    Thaiguy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    I believe that a major part of the problem is the absolute morons they have hired to 'enforce security' at America's airports. They hire them away from Burger King, dress them up in black fatigue uniforms, and put them in an immigration booth or cruising along the lines looking for 'terrorists'. I entered the US through LAX about two years ago; it was the first time I had been in the US in several years. Just for the purposes of profiling, I am American by birth, white, at the time 59 years old, and a retired US federal government employee. When I hit the immigration booth, I was asked, "Why are you coming to American?" I responded, "Because I am an American, and I felt like it." I was then asked, "Why do you live in the Philippines?" I responded, "Because I choose to do so." He then said, "But this is the greatest country in the world, isn't it?" I responded, "Depends on your perspective." At this point, a supervisor, who had been within earshot, came over and told him to stamp my passport. Unreal.

    At least the supervisor had a little intelligence. The Worst I've encountered on 2 separate occasions entering the USA are the "females with an attitude" who feel compelled to harass any single male travelling from Thailand or any other country known for sex tourism. Very difficult to keep your patience with nonsense such as that.
    We have some of those bitches in Aus. _ I always lent them rant and then say - "and your point is " ? - pisses them right off.

  25. #25
    Thaiguy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by britmaveric View Post
    Good on the yanks!!
    Guess it's a case of " If your not in the gang , don't wear the colours"?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •