Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774

    London - Man dies after inhaling anthrax

    Man dies after inhaling anthrax


    The last death of this kind in Britain was in 2006

    A drum maker who inhaled anthrax spores while handling imported animal skins at his workshop has died in hospital.

    Fernando Gomez, 35, from Hackney in east London, had been in the intensive care unit of Homerton University Hospital for more than a week.

    A hospital spokesman confirmed he died from inhalation anthrax not cutaneous anthrax and said his family were with him when he died.

    Seven other people have been given antibiotics as a precautionary measure.

    The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said it was attempting to trace where the infected skins originated.

    A hospital spokesman said his condition had deteriorated overnight and that he died on Sunday afternoon.

    Flat sealed off

    The HPA has sealed off his flat in Hackney and will examine his workshop this week.
    Its chief adviser, Professor Nigel Lightfoot, said residents who lived near the flat or workshop were not at risk.

    He stressed the risk of coming into contact with anthrax came from the making of animal skin drums not playing or handling them.

    He said: "We are, however, keen to reiterate to all individuals who make drums from imported animal skins that there is a risk of coming into contact with anthrax and that they should ensure they are aware of this and take precautions to protect themselves when making these drums."

    The threat to the general public is very small and it is extremely unusual for anthrax to be transmitted from person to person.

    The last death of this kind in Britain was in 2006 when Christopher Norris, 50, a craftsman from Stobs, near Hawick in Scotland, died after inhaling anthrax.

    Mr Norris made artworks and also musical instruments, including drums.

    A report from NHS Borders published in December 2007 said it was likely Mr Norris contracted the illness after playing or handling anthrax-contaminated African drums.

    A fatal accident inquiry into his death is due to take place on 18 November at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.


  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,952
    Have they blamed the evil do'ers yet!

  3. #3
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    Two deaths in three years. Surely it is now time to ban the manufacture of drums, and have a drum amnesty so the public can deposit all of their drums in skips placed outside police station and Tesco supermarket carparks.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Agent_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    20-09-2019 @ 07:28 AM
    Location
    Pre-Apocalyptic Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones
    Have they blamed the evil do'ers yet!

    Drum makers are the very symbol of a decadent West. Next target will be the tambourine man!

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones View Post
    Have they blamed the evil do'ers yet!
    Of course they have. Have patience, DD is searching as we speak...
    Last edited by Rural Surin; 03-11-2008 at 12:14 PM.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    he was told the drums had been impregnated with Coke?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •