Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Posts
    56,468

    Johnson & Johnson shares plunge - company knew asbestos was in its baby powder

    Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ) stock tumbled 10% on Friday — wiping out close to $40 billion of its market value — after a Reuters report said the company knew for decades that asbestos was in its baby powder.

    The company has been grappling with lawsuits alleging some of its talcum powder products caused cancer. But the Reuters report cites documents and other evidence that indicate company executives, mine managers, scientists, doctors and lawyers knew about the problem and failed to disclose it to regulators or the public.

    It was J&J's worst day since 2002.


    The plunge in J&J's shares rippled across Wall Street. J&J is among the most widely held stocks and it's also a member of the Dow.


    Reuters said it examined documents, including depositions and trial testimony, that show that from at least 1971 to the early 2000s, J&J's raw talc and finished baby powders sometimes tested positive for small amounts of asbestos, a human carcinogen that can cause cancer.


    According to Reuters, the documents also depict successful efforts to influence US regulators' plans to limit asbestos in cosmetic talc products and scientific research on the health effects of talc.

    "The Reuters article is one-sided, false and inflammatory," Johnson & Johnson said in a lengthy
    statement about the report. "Johnson & Johnson's baby powder is safe and asbestos-free."


    The company said that "thousands of tests" by Johnson & Johnson, regulators, independent labs, and academic institutions have shown that its talc does not contain asbestos. The company said that it has fully cooperated with the Food & Drug Administration and other global regulators over decades, and used the "most advanced testing methods available" to ensure that its cosmetic talc is asbestos-free.


    On July 19, 2002, shares of Johnson & Johnson
    tumbled 16% as federal regulators investigated a former employee's allegations of false record-keeping at a plant that made an anemia drug linked to serious side effects.

    https://us.cnn.com/2018/12/14/busine...tos/index.html

  2. #2
    Neo-feudal Serf SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    The Global Plantation
    Posts
    6,291
    Who do they think they are...the "chinkies?"

    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...oryId=11656278

  3. #3
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Posts
    56,468
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    Who do they think they are...the "chinkies?"

    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...oryId=11656278
    No, they're smarter because they managed to keep it quiet for decades.

    You'd like to think they'd get their arse reamed but they'll pay people off and get a slap on the wrist.

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Location
    nakhon ratchasima
    Posts
    805
    i can remember my mum putting their powder on my bum,now when i look at my bum in the mirror its wrinkled like an old orange skin.i might have a claim.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,997
    I have worked in a factory handling asbestos. Small dust like baby powder will be stopped from entering the lungs by the bodies mucus membranes. Just as the large particle will be stopped by nose hairs etc. The dangerous ones are the particles that fall in between. If you can see asbestos particle in the air then you are OK.
    But don't cut roofing sheets with a angle grinder without wearing a mask. Or pull insulation from walls without a mask.

    Some of the retired long time workers who came back to visit on "open" day were in their 80"s and that was 40 years ago.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  6. #6
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    21-02-2019 @ 07:47 PM
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ) stock tumbled 10% on Friday wiping out close to $40 billion of its market value after a Reuters report said the company knew for decades that asbestos was in its baby powder.

    The company has been grappling with lawsuits alleging some of its talcum powder products caused cancer. But the Reuters report cites documents and other evidence that indicate company executives, mine managers, scientists, doctors and lawyers knew about the problem and failed to disclose it to regulators or the public.

    It was J&J's worst day since 2002.


    The plunge in J&J's shares rippled across Wall Street. J&J is among the most widely held stocks and it's also a member of the Dow.


    Reuters said it examined documents, including depositions and trial testimony, that show that from at least 1971 to the early 2000s, J&J's raw talc and finished baby powders sometimes tested positive for small amounts of asbestos, a human carcinogen that can cause cancer.


    According to Reuters, the documents also depict successful efforts to influence US regulators' plans to limit asbestos in cosmetic talc products and scientific research on the health effects of talc.

    "The Reuters article is one-sided, false and inflammatory," Johnson & Johnson said in a lengthy
    statement about the report. "Johnson & Johnson's baby powder is safe and asbestos-free."


    The company said that "thousands of tests" by Johnson & Johnson, regulators, independent labs, and academic institutions have shown that its talc does not contain asbestos. The company said that it has fully cooperated with the Food & Drug Administration and other global regulators over decades, and used the "most advanced testing methods available" to ensure that its cosmetic talc is asbestos-free.


    On July 19, 2002, shares of Johnson & Johnson
    tumbled 16% as federal regulators investigated a former employee's allegations of false record-keeping at a plant that made an anemia drug linked to serious side effects.

    https://us.cnn.com/2018/12/14/busine...tos/index.html
    Sigh!...

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,863
    Hard to believe in this age of whistleblowers how they kept this under wraps for decades. I have no reason to dispute what VN says, but that's not the way parents and other users around the world will see it.

    Time to take a deep breath and start prosecuting those at the top, personally, financially and criminally.
    Even sheep get a clue at the gates to the slaughterhouse.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Posts
    4,095
    The old Silverstein had known better how to rid off asbestos, hadn't he?

  9. #9
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    21-02-2019 @ 07:47 PM
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    Hard to believe in this age of whistleblowers how they kept this under wraps for decades. I have no reason to dispute what VN says, but that's not the way parents and other users around the world will see it.

    Time to take a deep breath and start prosecuting those at the top, personally, financially and criminally.
    If you actually believe that ^ will ever happen,...then you're certainly not that thinking person...I've always given you recognition for being...

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 04:08 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,611
    It's just a tin foil hatted conspiracy theory. Even Johnson and Johnson say it's an "absurd conspiracy theory" so it must be.

    https://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/25/h...hln/index.html

    CNN back in 2016 paint a rosy picture that its all really just a conspiracy theory, and as long as you don't snort it, Talc is fine. They do focus on generic talc, and not the J&J baby powder which is at the heart of the law suits and conspiracy theory though but that is clearly a typo. Just like J&J, CNN would never mislead of lie.

    Originally Posted by bsnub "No wonder I drive a tesla"

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by TuskegeeBen View Post
    If you actually believe that ^ will ever happen,...then you're certainly not that thinking person...I've always given you recognition for being...
    Never said it's a perfect world, or sane.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •