Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    29,314

    Einsteinís Theory of Happiness Sells for $1.3 Million at Auction

    JERUSALEM ó While Albert Einstein's theory of happiness may be relative, it fetched $1.3 million at a Jerusalem auction on Tuesday.


    The Nobel-winning scientist's musings, on a handwritten note, may not be as famous as his groundbreaking theory of relativity, but they still shed light on one of the great minds of all time (and space).

    Winner's Auctions and Exhibitions said Einstein was traveling in Japan in 1922 when he was told he would be awarded the Nobel Prize in physics. In Tokyo, Einstein scribbled the note in German to a bellboy after he did not have cash to give him a tip.




    "A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness," it reads.




    Gal Wiener, CEO of the auction house, said Einstein told the bellboy that because of his fame, the handwritten note "will probably be worth more than a regular tip."


    Wiener said bidding began at $2,000 and quickly escalated, with the bidding war lasting around 25 minutes.


    Another note Einstein gave the bellboy, which read "Where there's a will there's a way," was sold for over $200,000, Wiener said.


    He would not identify the buyer or seller of either note.


    Einstein was a founder of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and left it his literary estate and personal papers. He declined an invitation to serve as Israel's first president. Einstein died in 1955.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/science/scie...uction-n813991

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    "A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"
    A student of Buddha?


    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    He declined an invitation to serve as Israel's first president.
    Yes. People should take note of why.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    Einstein scribbled the note in German to a bellboy after he did not have cash to give him a tip.
    He was known for his stinginess...

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    29,314
    ^ He was?

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Wilsonandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 04:29 PM
    Posts
    3,992

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    26-03-2019 @ 11:28 AM
    Location
    across the street
    Posts
    4,109
    ^humble bragger

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    26-03-2019 @ 11:28 AM
    Location
    across the street
    Posts
    4,109



    JERUSALEM
    ó Albert Einstein had half a dozen girlfriends and told his wife they showered him with "unwanted" affection, according to letters released on Monday that shed light on his extramarital affairs.


    The wild-haired Jewish-German scientist, renowned for his theory of relativity, spent little time at home. He lectured in Europe and in the United States, where he died in 1955 at age 76. But Einstein wrote hundreds of letters to his family.


    Previously released letters suggested his marriage in 1903 to his first wife Mileva Maric, mother of his two sons, was miserable. They divorced in 1919, and he soon married his cousin, Elsa. He cheated on her with his secretary, Betty Neumann.


    In the new volume of letters released on Monday by Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Einstein described about six women with whom he spent time and from whom he received gifts while being married to Elsa.


    In the early 1980s, Elsa's daughter, Margot, gave almost 1,400 letters to Hebrew University, which Einstein helped found. But Margot directed that the letters not be released publicly until 20 years after her death. She died on July 8, 1986.


    Some of the women identified by Einstein include Estella, Ethel, Toni and his "Russian spy lover," Margarita. Others are referred to only by initials, like M. and L.
    New letters shed light on Einstein?s love life - Technology & science - Science | NBC News


  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    hick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    23-01-2019 @ 04:19 PM
    Posts
    5,278
    There's a guy in my office who's infamous for his (several) theories of negativity.

    He's got some original, dismal dictums for sale.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Wilsonandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 04:29 PM
    Posts
    3,992
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle junior View Post



    JERUSALEM
    Albert Einstein had half a dozen girlfriends and told his wife they showered him with "unwanted" affection, according to letters released on Monday that shed light on his extramarital affairs.


    The wild-haired Jewish-German scientist, renowned for his theory of relativity, spent little time at home. He lectured in Europe and in the United States, where he died in 1955 at age 76. But Einstein wrote hundreds of letters to his family.


    Previously released letters suggested his marriage in 1903 to his first wife Mileva Maric, mother of his two sons, was miserable. They divorced in 1919, and he soon married his cousin, Elsa. He cheated on her with his secretary, Betty Neumann.


    In the new volume of letters released on Monday by Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Einstein described about six women with whom he spent time and from whom he received gifts while being married to Elsa.


    In the early 1980s, Elsa's daughter, Margot, gave almost 1,400 letters to Hebrew University, which Einstein helped found. But Margot directed that the letters not be released publicly until 20 years after her death. She died on July 8, 1986.


    Some of the women identified by Einstein include Estella, Ethel, Toni and his "Russian spy lover," Margarita. Others are referred to only by initials, like M. and L.
    New letters shed light on Einstein?s love life - Technology & science - Science | NBC News

    I thought he was gay.


  10. #10
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    6,150
    Happiness can't be theorized upon....

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 11:41 AM
    Posts
    36,439
    ^ Now give it to a bellboy...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •