Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,514

    The U.S. is sending troops to Kuwait, ready to step up the fight in Syria and Iraq

    So it begins. Trumps war machine is ramping up. This is how an unpopular president makes himself popular in the US he starts a war.

    WASHINGTON The U.S. military is sending an additional 2,500 ground combat troops to a staging base in Kuwait from which they could be called upon to back up coalition forces battling the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

    The deployment will include elements of the 82nd Airborne Division's 2nd Brigade Combat Team, which is based at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. About 1,700 soldiers from the same unit are overseas now, spread between Iraq and Kuwait. They're focused on the U.S.-led effort to train and assist the Iraqi troops doing much of the fighting against ISIS there.

    These new personnel, however, will be "postured there to do all things Mosul, Raqqa, all in between," Army Lt. Gen. Joseph Anderson, the Army's deputy chief of staff for operations, told House lawmakers Wednesday. He was referring to the Islamic State's two main strongholds: Mosul in Iraq and Raqqa in Syria, major urban centers where U.S.-back allies are fighting a well entrenched enemy.

    "So the whole brigade will now be forward," Anderson said.

    It's unclear when this new wave of paratroopers will deploy. Lt. Col. Joe Buccino, an 82nd Airborne Division spokesman, referred questions to the U.S. military command in Baghdad. Officials there did not directly address Military Times' questions seeking additional details. Rather, they issued the following statement on Friday acknowledging Anderson's remarks on Capitol Hill.

    "There are a number of options under consideration as the coalition looks for ways to accelerate the defeat of ISIS," it says. "We continue to believe that the most effective way to achieve a lasting victory is to do it by, with and through our partner forces who have the greatest stake in the outcome. For operational security reasons, we will not discuss future deployments or contingency operational planning."

    All told, the 82nd Airborne's 2nd Brigade Combat Team includes about 4,400 soldiers who compose infantry, artillery and cavalry units, plus their supply pipeline.

    Today, there are about 6,000 American troops spread between Iraq and Syria, where this week Marine Corps artillery crews established a fire base from which U.S. forces intend to attack ISIS targets in and around Raqqa. Additionally, a team of Army Rangers was dispatched to the city of Mabij to prevent Turkish troops and Syrian Kurdish militias both key U.S. allies in the counter-ISIS mission from fighting one another. Meanwhile, Russian military elements, in support of troops loyal to Syrian President Bashar al Assad, also are present on the city's outskirts.

    The head of U.S. Central Command, Army Gen. Joseph Votel, told Senate lawmakers on Thursday that conventional U.S. forces would be required stabilize the region once ISIS fighters are flushed from Raqqa, the group's self-proclaimed capital. Officials anticipate that America's allies will need assistance preventing their return and establishing Syrian-led peacekeeping efforts.

    The Army's announcement comes less than a month after reports surfaced indicating that, as part of the Pentagon's proposal, conventional military forces could be sent into Syria specifically, where a patchwork of American allies have closed in on Raqqa. Overall, the situation facing U.S. troops there is significantly more complex than in Iraq.

    Asked on Thursday whether the soldiers soon bound for Kuwait have prepared to operate in such a challenging environment, a military official said they are trained to address "any contingency" in either theater.

    The Pentagon earlier this month submitted plans to the White House for speeding efforts to defeat ISIS, one of President Trump's first orders upon assuming office. Those plans are said to include operations in a number of countries, not only Iraq and Syria.

    The U.S. is sending 2,500 troops to Kuwait, ready to step up the fight in Syria and Iraq

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,348
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    Trumps war machine
    Obama's war machine
    Bush's war machine
    Clinton's war machine
    Bush's war machine
    Reagan's war machine

    sounds like an F1 lineup..."Gentlemen, start your machines!"

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Ho hum...
    The expansion of the empire continues.

  4. #4
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,389
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    The head of U.S. Central Command, Army Gen. Joseph Votel, told Senate lawmakers on Thursday that conventional U.S. forces would be required stabilize the region once ISIS fighters are flushed from Raqqa, the group's self-proclaimed capital. Officials anticipate that America's allies will need assistance preventing their return and establishing Syrian-led peacekeeping efforts.
    I wonder what he means by "the region" and where he plans to put those US troops.

    establishing Syrian-led peacekeeping efforts
    A surprise, coming from Votel.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    This time there will be some oil money exchanging hands as protection money. Care to guess from what country(s)?

    Trump Demands ?Protection Money? From Our Allies

    Donald Trump Wants Foreign Countries To Pay Us 'Protection Money' | Crooks and Liars
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 12-03-2017 at 03:36 PM.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,348
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    This time there will be some oil money exchanging hands as protection money
    'twas ever thus: Gulf Arabs (including, in this case, Iraq) supply the fuel, bases and money for the armaments...the US provides the expertise, advanced weaponry and boots on the ground, if needed (and they're always needed)...

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    4,874
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    So it begins. Trumps war machine is ramping up. This is how an unpopular president makes himself popular in the US he starts a war.

    WASHINGTON The U.S. military is sending an additional 2,500 ground combat troops to a staging base in Kuwait from which they could be called upon to back up coalition forces battling the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

    The deployment will include elements of the 82nd Airborne Division's 2nd Brigade Combat Team, which is based at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. About 1,700 soldiers from the same unit are overseas now, spread between Iraq and Kuwait. They're focused on the U.S.-led effort to train and assist the Iraqi troops doing much of the fighting against ISIS there.

    These new personnel, however, will be "postured there to do all things Mosul, Raqqa, all in between," Army Lt. Gen. Joseph Anderson, the Army's deputy chief of staff for operations, told House lawmakers Wednesday. He was referring to the Islamic State's two main strongholds: Mosul in Iraq and Raqqa in Syria, major urban centers where U.S.-back allies are fighting a well entrenched enemy.

    "So the whole brigade will now be forward," Anderson said.

    It's unclear when this new wave of paratroopers will deploy. Lt. Col. Joe Buccino, an 82nd Airborne Division spokesman, referred questions to the U.S. military command in Baghdad. Officials there did not directly address Military Times' questions seeking additional details. Rather, they issued the following statement on Friday acknowledging Anderson's remarks on Capitol Hill.

    "There are a number of options under consideration as the coalition looks for ways to accelerate the defeat of ISIS," it says. "We continue to believe that the most effective way to achieve a lasting victory is to do it by, with and through our partner forces who have the greatest stake in the outcome. For operational security reasons, we will not discuss future deployments or contingency operational planning."

    All told, the 82nd Airborne's 2nd Brigade Combat Team includes about 4,400 soldiers who compose infantry, artillery and cavalry units, plus their supply pipeline.

    Today, there are about 6,000 American troops spread between Iraq and Syria, where this week Marine Corps artillery crews established a fire base from which U.S. forces intend to attack ISIS targets in and around Raqqa. Additionally, a team of Army Rangers was dispatched to the city of Mabij to prevent Turkish troops and Syrian Kurdish militias both key U.S. allies in the counter-ISIS mission from fighting one another. Meanwhile, Russian military elements, in support of troops loyal to Syrian President Bashar al Assad, also are present on the city's outskirts.

    The head of U.S. Central Command, Army Gen. Joseph Votel, told Senate lawmakers on Thursday that conventional U.S. forces would be required stabilize the region once ISIS fighters are flushed from Raqqa, the group's self-proclaimed capital. Officials anticipate that America's allies will need assistance preventing their return and establishing Syrian-led peacekeeping efforts.

    The Army's announcement comes less than a month after reports surfaced indicating that, as part of the Pentagon's proposal, conventional military forces could be sent into Syria specifically, where a patchwork of American allies have closed in on Raqqa. Overall, the situation facing U.S. troops there is significantly more complex than in Iraq.

    Asked on Thursday whether the soldiers soon bound for Kuwait have prepared to operate in such a challenging environment, a military official said they are trained to address "any contingency" in either theater.

    The Pentagon earlier this month submitted plans to the White House for speeding efforts to defeat ISIS, one of President Trump's first orders upon assuming office. Those plans are said to include operations in a number of countries, not only Iraq and Syria.

    The U.S. is sending 2,500 troops to Kuwait, ready to step up the fight in Syria and Iraq

    Fulfilling another campaign pledge,setting up to defeat ISIS.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    Please supply some links showing amounts of money given to the US by Iraq or other ME states for protection. I personally believe Trump will ask for more.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    20-06-2019 @ 09:35 PM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,947
    He will get Israel to pay protection money.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,348
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    He will get Israel to pay protection money
    Don't be silly: the fifth column in the States will prevent any such action...

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Fulfilling another campaign pledge,setting up to defeat ISIS.
    ISIS is already on the ropes. The Iraqi army has them encircled in Mosul and the Syrian Kurds are about to attack Raqqa. I am sure your propaganda sites will claim it was all the work of the orange cheeto.


    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    He will get Israel to pay protection money.
    He already has his mouth tightly around Beny Netanyahu's penis. He will do whatever he wants. If anything aid to Israel will go up.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:31 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,218
    ..and Iraq and Syria will get fully democratic elections and Elect the Muslim brotherhood and, and,and Ad infinitum.

    These are not national conflicts they are tribal/religious sect squabbles cloaked in nationalism.

    This has been going on since Mohhamed died. Which is why the Christians faairytale writers ancients were smart and decreed that Jesus never married and as such had no heir or successor, until the west invented the Pope who also has no biological heir of successor.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,348
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    This has been going on since Mohhamed died
    Actually, since well before Mohammed (PBUH) ascended to Heaven on the Al-Buraq Express...
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    the west invented the Pope who also has no biological heir of successor.
    Well, a number of Popes had no heirs anyway...

    At this point, I am reminded of a quote from Sayyid Qtub: "We must guard against adopting a defeatist attitude..."

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    4,874
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Fulfilling another campaign pledge,setting up to defeat ISIS.
    ISIS is already on the ropes. The Iraqi army has them encircled in Mosul and the Syrian Kurds are about to attack Raqqa. I am sure your propaganda sites will claim it was all the work of the orange cheeto.


    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    He will get Israel to pay protection money.
    He already has his mouth tightly around Beny Netanyahu's penis. He will do whatever he wants. If anything aid to Israel will go up.


    My post has nothing to do with the state of ISIS only the fact that Trump said he would destroy ISIS and this troop movement seems to show his intent of at least attempting to follow through.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    4,874
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Fulfilling another campaign pledge,setting up to defeat ISIS.
    ISIS is already on the ropes. The Iraqi army has them encircled in Mosul and the Syrian Kurds are about to attack Raqqa. I am sure your propaganda sites will claim it was all the work of the orange cheeto.


    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    He will get Israel to pay protection money.
    He already has his mouth tightly around Beny Netanyahu's penis. He will do whatever he wants. If anything aid to Israel will go up.


    As well it should,Israel being the only democratic country in that part of the world.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    My post has nothing to do with the state of ISIS
    Of course not you do not care about the fact that ISIS is already on its last legs. You only care about the BS propaganda that inevitably will come out claiming that Drumpf "defeated" IS when its demise is already inevitable thanks mainly to the Syrian Kurds.

    Facts don't matter to your "ilk".
    Last edited by bsnub; 13-03-2017 at 12:52 PM.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    4,874
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    My post has nothing to do with the state of ISIS
    Of course not you do not care about the fact that ISIS is already on its last legs. You only care about the BS propaganda that inevitably will come out claiming that Drumpf "defeated" IS when its demise is already inevitable thanks mainly to the Syrian Kurds.

    Facts don't matter to your "ilk".
    You couldn't be more wrong, I could care less who if anyone defeats ISIS I have said many times on this thread I don't think Trump was a good choice for POTUS. If Trump were to be impeached tomorrow ok by me I would prefer Pence, the important thing to me is the Supreme Court picks,as the Supreme Court is the real power in the US.
    Back to ISIS, I doubt they will ever be truly defeated maybe run out of any dominance in Iraq or Iran but the ISIS movement is not going away.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    If Trump were to be impeached tomorrow ok by me I would prefer Pence
    Of course you do because theocracy and all.

    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Back to ISIS, I doubt they will ever be truly defeated
    Militarily they absolutely will and it will be in the near future however they will live on as a terrorist organization.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,348
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    I doubt they will ever be truly defeated
    As Sayyid Qutb once noted in a different context and on a different subject altogether: "Mankind today is on the brink of a precipice..."

  20. #20
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,389
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    Back to ISIS, I doubt they will ever be truly defeated maybe run out of any dominance in Iraq or Iran but the ISIS movement is not going away.
    Iran?


  21. #21
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    4,874
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    If Trump were to be impeached tomorrow ok by me I would prefer Pence
    Of course you do because theocracy and all.

    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Back to ISIS, I doubt they will ever be truly defeated
    Militarily they absolutely will and it will be in the near future however they will live on as a terrorist organization.
    Of course I like Pence because of his evangelical
    Background you really didn't have to add that I believe it to be a well known fact.
    Your point on iSIS is exactly what I was saying.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Of course I like Pence because of his evangelical Background you really didn't have to add that I believe it to be a well known fact.
    Because you like theocracy. But big words..

    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Your point on iSIS is exactly what I was saying.
    More elegantly put by me..

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    4,874
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Of course I like Pence because of his evangelical Background you really didn't have to add that I believe it to be a well known fact.
    Because you like theocracy. But big words..

    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Your point on iSIS is exactly what I was saying.
    More elegantly put by me..
    More elegantly put by me? What a clown you are.

    Theocracy:a form of government ruled by priests ,has nothing to do with evangelical Christians except in your demented mind.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,348
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Theocracya form of government ruled by priests) ,has nothing to do with evangelical Christians except in your demented mind.
    You think the Second Coming is going to involve a presidential candidate then...

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    4,874
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65
    Theocracya form of government ruled by priests) ,has nothing to do with evangelical Christians except in your demented mind.
    You think the Second Coming is going to involve a presidential candidate then...
    Maybe you can show where I even implied that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •