Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 140
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Hans Mann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    01-07-2016 @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    Land of Laughs
    Posts
    5,764

    China denies US aircraft carrier’s request to visit Hong Kong



    THE Chinese government has turned down a U.S. aircraft carrier’s bid to dock in Hong Kong, according to reports on Friday.

    The U.S. State Department said China denied the request from the U.S. aircraft carrier recently.

    The refusal appears to be a sign of mounting tension in the disputed South China Sea.

    Defense Secretary Ash Carter and his Philippine counterpart visited the carrier, USS John C. Stennis, in those waters two weeks ago, a move that irked Beijing.

    Gabrielle Price, spokeswoman for East Asia, says Friday the U.S. has a long record of successful port visits to Hong Kong, including a current visit by the USS Blue Ridge.

    The Chinese Embassy did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

    The Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post quoted China’s Foreign Ministry as saying that port calls were examined on a “case by case basis.”

    https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/...sit-hong-kong/

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    17-09-2019 @ 03:21 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612


    Brilliant.

  3. #3
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:11 AM
    Posts
    60,488
    Then just reroute to Taiwan. That will piss them off.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Rule Americana. America rules the waves.

    ...or so they think [fantasy].

  5. #5
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,876
    ^Really? Do some research.

    The US Navy is by far the largest and best-equipped in the world.

    China comes in as a much weaker second.

    Russia comes in as a far, far weaker third.

    Rule Brittaniastan comes in as a really weak fourth, barely above Japan - which doesn't even have a real navy..

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Kinda missed the twisted and elusive point, Davis.

    Shouldn't surprise when the related topics are military and American flag waving.
    Blind patriotism.

  7. #7
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,876
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Kinda missed the twisted and elusive point, Davis.

    Shouldn't surprise when the related topics are military and American flag waving.
    Blind patriotism.
    I am hardly a flag-waver. And your points are often twisted and elusive.

  8. #8
    Balls to Monty
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:39 AM
    Posts
    12,010
    The chink government should hold a plebiscite among the HK citizens about allowing a US carrier to anchor up in HK bay and then abide by the result of the vote for the next 10 years.

  9. #9
    euston has flown

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    Posts
    6,978
    why? HK the city, has always been a colony... a British one and now a Chinese one. The colonial master has always determined foreign policy irrespective of the degree of independence the natives are allowed to have in their internal affairs.

    Personally I would have thought that the usefulness of being able to take up the skirt photos of the the ship and its support vessels would have been more useful to the PLA (what ever the navy is in china) than the political points gained by telling the americans to fuckoff... as is their right.

    Davis I think the phrase your looking for is faux intellectualism
    Teakdoor CSI, TD's best post-reality thinkers

    featuring Prattmaster ENT, Prattmaster Dapper and PrattmasterPseudolus

    Dedicated to uncovering irrational explanations to every event and heroically
    defending them against the onslaught of physics, rational logic and evidence

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    17,702
    There are tensions between the Mainland and HK as we speak. But as some have said HK has been a colony for centuries and will always try for a better master. The Chinese government will not let that occur easily, one suspects.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    17-09-2019 @ 03:21 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    The chink government should hold a plebiscite among the HK citizens about allowing a US carrier to anchor up in HK bay and then abide by the result of the vote for the next 10 years.
    Most HK'ers I know, having lived there for 4 years, tend not to like the US, and certainly would vote in your poll against the US ships landing there. The whore houses and american themed restaurants, Mcdonalds etc might vote for them, but for everyone else it is an irritant. Not that the Chinese would give them a vote in the first place which is another aspect of your point which demonstrates you clearly know nothing about the country or the semi autonomous region of HK.

    Originally Posted by bsnub "No wonder I drive a tesla"

  12. #12
    Balls to Monty
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:39 AM
    Posts
    12,010
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    Not that the Chinese would give them a vote in the first place
    Duh. Exactly, irony is not your strong suit is it.

    Given the chance the hongkers might vote in favour of the Merkin anchor just for a chance to annoy the mainland government.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Kinda missed the twisted and elusive point, Davis.

    Shouldn't surprise when the related topics are military and American flag waving.
    Blind patriotism.
    I am hardly a flag-waver. And your points are often twisted and elusive.
    Broadcast from his moms basement in Portland, Oregon, USA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    Given the chance the hongkers might vote in favour of the Merkin anchor just for a chance to annoy the mainland government.
    Mainlanders and that government top the most hated list of HK residents.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    The chink government should hold a plebiscite among the HK citizens about allowing a US carrier to anchor up in HK bay and then abide by the result of the vote for the next 10 years.
    Most HK'ers I know, having lived there for 4 years, tend not to like the US, and certainly would vote in your poll against the US ships landing there. The whore houses and american themed restaurants, Mcdonalds etc might vote for them, but for everyone else it is an irritant. Not that the Chinese would give them a vote in the first place which is another aspect of your point which demonstrates you clearly know nothing about the country or the semi autonomous region of HK.

    Fair go, mate.
    Someone sounding reasonable and extracting a realistic understanding.

    As opposed to the almost Euro-xenophobic fervor [towards anything not of "us"] that clouds free thinking thought process of this forum.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    17-09-2019 @ 03:21 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    Mainlanders and that government top the most hated list of HK residents.
    wrong again snubbles. Blimey, you yankie and yankie idolisers like loopey really do not know much at all.

    A majority of HK's are sensible enough to know that they are in essence Chinese and do not hate the chinese government at all. The poor in HK, which is 99% of the population really do not subscribe to the western capitalist bullshit that sees them living in 2mtr square rooms. Perhaps you should stop reading and taking seriously all the guff from the US state department and their NGO minions who will use any trick at all to get one over on China.

    Try again.

    My experience of living there is that when one of the yankie ships arrive there is a collective groan from all living there.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,807
    Would a Chinese aircraft carrier be allowed to dock at Pearl Harbour for some RnR? But Wanchai is weeping.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Denying a US carrier group safe harbour for a port visit has slightly different implications for Hong Kong and for example the PI.
    The financial implications for the local economy are very different. The fact that lower end economic benefits are key to both communities are missed by the Chinee, speaks volumes.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    17-09-2019 @ 03:21 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui
    The fact that lower end economic benefits are key to both communities are missed by the Chinee, speaks volumes.
    Clueless comment. The financial implication of them docking to the people of HK is about the same as a Bank of China traders night out on the piss.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    Clueless comment. The financial implication of them docking to the people of HK is about the same as a Bank of China traders night out on the piss.
    Point missed. Even the poor are grateful for the income from visiting vessels, especially when they have dollar rich sailors on shore leave. It's ok for the HK wealthy but the bottom end will still lose out.
    Next you will be telling me there are no poor folk in HK.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    17-09-2019 @ 03:21 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui
    dollar rich sailors
    No such thing - they are penny pinching lads these days. Even someone working in KFC part time earns more each year NET than a US navy boy does.

    They are mostly unwelcome, an irritant, and as the majority of the people of HK support China and found the yellow umbrella mob to be what they were /are, a western funded and instructed rabble rousing pain in the arse, they prefer not to have US navy boats parked in their back yard .


    As I said before - when they hear a boat is coming, there is a collective groan, except from the hookers and hawkers.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,705
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    No such thing - they are penny pinching lads these days. Even someone working in KFC part time earns more each year NET than a US navy boy does.
    Clueless and talking out of your ass as usual.



    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    the majority of the people of HK support China and found the yellow umbrella mob to be what they were /are, a western funded and instructed rabble rousing pain in the arse, they prefer not to have US navy boats parked in their back yard .
    See the above comments...

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    No such thing - they are penny pinching lads these days. Even someone working in KFC part time earns more each year NET than a US navy boy does.
    Even a newly minted USN sailor make $1500 a month. At sea for 3 months with nothing to spend it on = payday for shore leave. HK is no more or less avaricious than any other port when the boat comes in.
    Replenishment of food and fuel, (For the 90 aircraft of the carrier wing) will keep local businesses happy, even allowing for some fraud to keep the shady stuff moving.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,705
    ^ Pseudo has no concept of economics and he has proven it in countless threads. These port visits bring in countless millions into the local economy.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,261
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    The whore houses and american themed restaurants, Mcdonalds etc might vote for them, but for everyone else it is an irritant.
    Me no likey Blitish sailor. Yankee pay five dollar more!

  25. #25
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,876
    More than 3,000 folks on that boat.....if HK doesn't want them, I'm sure the folks in Olongapo will take their money.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •