Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Hans Mann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    01-07-2016 @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    Land of Laughs
    Posts
    5,764

    Deadly diabetes in 'unrelenting march'

    The world is facing an "unrelenting march" of diabetes which now affects nearly one-in-11 people, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

    In a major report it warned cases had quadrupled from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million in 2014.

    High blood sugar levels are a major killer - linked to 3.7 million deaths around the world each year, it says.

    And officials said the numbers would continue to increase unless "drastic action" was taken.

    The report lumps both type 1 and type 2 diabetes together, but the surge in cases is predominantly down to type 2 - the form closely linked to poor lifestyle.

    As the world's waistlines have ballooned - with one-in-three people now overweight, so too has the number of diabetes cases.

    How diabetes has taken its toll

    422 million adults were living with diabetes in 2014 - that's 314 million more than there were in 1980

    8.5% of adults worldwide has diabetes

    1.5 million people died as a result of diabetes in 2012

    2.2 million additional deaths were caused by higher-than-optimal blood glucose

    43% of these 3.7m people died before they were 70 years old

    Source: WHO


    Dr Etienne Krug, the WHO official in charge of leading efforts against diabetes, told the BBC: "Diabetes is a silent disease, but it is on an unrelenting march that we need to stop.

    "We can stop it, we know what needs to be done, but we cannot let it evolve like it does because it has a huge impact on people's health, on families and on society."

    Failing to control levels of sugar in the blood has devastating health consequences increasing the risk of heart attacks, stroke, kidney failure, blindness, limb amputations and complications in pregnancy.

    Diabetes itself is the eighth biggest killer in the world accounting for 1.5 million deaths each year.

    But a further 2.2 million deaths are linked to high blood sugar levels.

    Moving burden

    In the 1980s the highest rates were found in affluent countries.

    But, in a remarkable transformation, it is now low and middle income countries bearing the largest burden.

    Dr Krug told the BBC News website: "That's where we see the steepest increase. Knowing that's where most of the population lives in the world, it does show numbers will continue to increase unless drastic action is taken."



    The Middle East has seen the prevalence of diabetes soar from 5.9% of adults in 1980 to 13.7% in 2014.

    Dr Slim Slama, a WHO specialist in region, told the BBC News website: "We are the region that has experienced the greatest rise in diabetes, moving 6 million to 43 million - it is a huge, huge increase.

    "In Qatar or Kuwait we have more than 20% of the population with diabetes and when you look at subgroups - people beyond 45 or 60 years old - it's 30-40% and things are even more worrying."

    Deadly diabetes in 'unrelenting march' - BBC News

  2. #2
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Most recently diagnosed diabetics are generally stupid, carb addicted lazy fat c*nts, many with late onset (Type 2) diabetes, a manageable condition, IF the sufferers take control of themselves instead of being so self-indulgent.

    The accompanying rise in Type 1 diabetes is also increasingly linked to obesity, as more kids are indulging in carbs/sugars and NO exercise than ever before due to a supposed rise in life-style standards/wealth.
    The truth is we're digging our own graves with our teeth.

    The accompanying rise in ADD/ADHD cases is also a result of over-weaning mums (particularly single mothers) pacifying their kids with sugary rewards.

    Society's gone to hell, no self discipline left at all, just carrot and stick systems to keep all in order.

  3. #3
    euston has flown

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    Posts
    6,978
    And so speaketh TD CSI.... peace be upon them

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,703
    One in 13 Thais adults are diabetic.

    In the Thai langauge, diabetes is referred to as the “sweet urine disease”. In rural areas, villagers often first become aware that it is present because they notice ants gathering around their outdoor toilet.
    WHO | Progress in diabetes control in Thailand

    http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/t...betes-mellitus
    Last edited by Pragmatic; 09-04-2016 at 10:11 AM.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    It is a convenient label for some people to avoid responsibility for their lifestyle. All it does, like other 'fashionable' afflictions, is create greater earnings for big pharma.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    21-09-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    26,175
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post

    Society's gone to hell, no self discipline left at all, just carrot and stick systems to keep all in order.

    One does not have to go to far to see a massive fat bastard farang sitting on a bar stool drinking piss and smoking cigs.

    I mean it's gona kill ya innit.

    I like to have a drink as well but I monitor my weight, put on a Kilo and I go off the piss for few days. Gota keep a handle on it.

    Weight piles on easily when older and drinking piss is a major cause.

    Plus go for a nice walk helps things.

    I don't smoke thank fuk.
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  7. #7
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,777
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Most recently diagnosed diabetics are generally stupid, carb addicted lazy fat c*nts, many with late onset (Type 2) diabetes, a manageable condition, IF the sufferers take control of themselves instead of being so self-indulgent.

    The accompanying rise in Type 1 diabetes is also increasingly linked to obesity, as more kids are indulging in carbs/sugars and NO exercise than ever before due to a supposed rise in life-style standards/wealth.
    The truth is we're digging our own graves with our teeth.

    The accompanying rise in ADD/ADHD cases is also a result of over-weaning mums (particularly single mothers) pacifying their kids with sugary rewards.

    Society's gone to hell, no self discipline left at all, just carrot and stick systems to keep all in order.
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers

    Socrates (469399 B.C.)

  8. #8
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    There's nothing new under the sun, only repeated, eh.

    Humanity seems to take two steps forward and one step back in its progress.

    I think it's called evolution.

  9. #9
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz View Post
    And so speaketh TD CSI.... peace be upon them
    Thank you.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    I blame much of this on lazy parents, particularly in Thailand where fast foods loaded with sugar have become more readily available. The endless sweet snacks given to children has caused a huge upswing in obesity over the past 5-10 years which predisposes them to diabetes. The same trend was seen in the west and is responsible for their upswing in diabetes as well.

    Will Thailand change? I don't think so since they seem to listen much less to sound medical advice than westerners do. Better start buying Lilly stock now.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    Will Thailand change? I don't think so since they seem to listen much less to sound medical advice than westerners do.
    Perhaps westerners are just more gullible. If you don't have a medical fad label these days you are worthless.

  12. #12
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    My sister's a bit like that, broadcasts her infirmities on facebook.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    02-07-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,811
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT
    My sister's a bit like that, broadcasts her infirmities on facebook.
    Tits oot?

  14. #14
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Nearly, but a bit too old and fat for that, the awl' slapper.

  15. #15
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    11-06-2017 @ 09:47 PM
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    I blame much of this on lazy parents, particularly in Thailand where fast foods loaded with sugar have become more readily available. The endless sweet snacks given to children has caused a huge upswing in obesity over the past 5-10 years which predisposes them to diabetes. The same trend was seen in the west and is responsible for their upswing in diabetes as well.

    Will Thailand change? I don't think so since they seem to listen much less to sound medical advice than westerners do. Better start buying Lilly stock now.
    I see my Sister in Law giving my 7 + 9 year old nephews paracetamol now when they grizzle with a ''head ache''. I tell her to give em a glass of water now and then instead of Coke, and a full nights sleep wouldn't go amiss either...

    Does she listen? does she fuck.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui View Post
    It is a convenient label for some people to avoid responsibility for their lifestyle. All it does, like other 'fashionable' afflictions, is create greater earnings for big pharma.
    What? There are plenty of fake or exaggerated diseases used by malingerers or hypochondriacs, but diabetes is not one of them. Blood sugar can be easily measured and charted.

    Also, look at the supply of available food; if you discard everything the "experts" say can be harmful, there's not much left to choose from.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR
    There are plenty of fake or exaggerated diseases used by malingerers or hypochondriacs
    Yes, and those in search of a better class of illness will use the popularity of diabetes to add weight to their facebook profile.


    Quote Originally Posted by BobR
    Blood sugar can be easily measured and charted.
    Just ask yourself who produces and profits from the test kits? Those who automatically assume a high blood sugar count entitles them to a fad label can manipulate the test anyway.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •