Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

    New Jersey woman denied “offensive” 8THEIST numberplate

    Atheist New Jersey woman denied “offensive” 8THEIST numberplate
    April 19, 2014

    An atheist woman has filed a federal lawsuit against the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for denying her the numberplate “8THEIST”.

    When Shannon Morgan attempted to register the numberplate, her request was denied because 8THEIST “may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency”, which she claims is a violation of her First Amendment rights of free speech, according to the Associated Press.

    The woman reportedly attempted to register “BAPTIST” with out any issues, and so believes that the system is unfairly discriminating against those without faith.

    descrier.co.uk

  2. #2
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413


    travelbugltd.wordpress.com

  3. #3
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    With religion bring a contentious issue in the States, and road rage being a favorite pastime, most DMVs are pretty anal about what they'll allow on a plate- I'm not shocked this one wasn't approved.

    Driving isn't a right, and license plates have always been subject to approval- you can't get approved for 'FUCK YOU' or 'EAT SHIT' either.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    HST

  4. #4
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe

    you can't get approved for 'FUCK YOU' or 'EAT SHIT' either.
    don't quite equate with 8THEIST do they ?

  5. #5
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    No, though they all would be protected under free speech, but personalized license plates aren't 'free speech'- you can't get many plates that are less extreme than my examples.

    I understand the point of the OP, but I also see the point of not allowing plates that will potentially enrage morons.

  6. #6
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Last edited by Mid; 19-04-2014 at 07:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    I don't see any that would offend anyone's religious or political sensibilities, and those are the two issues that cause the most problems in the US.

    Actually, having looked at it, I'm surprised NGGA PLZ got approved- I wouldn't be surprised if that got recalled later- there were some good ones.

    People take religion too seriously in the States- it's pretty nuts.

  8. #8
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

  9. #9
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    I edited before seeing your post, but I would bet that one wouldn't have lasted long- personalized plates don't have lifetime validity- somebody would have bitched to DMV, and that's all it takes to get a plate reviewed.

    I had a personalized plate in California (nothing obscene, but it was obscure) that I had to explain before it was approved.

    Are you really surprised that a plate that could cause issues with a religious person wasn't approved? I'm not at all, and- considering the stupid shit that goes on over nothing- I agree with the decision for practical purposes.

  10. #10
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    In the interest of fair play here's a site with

    “SPANKME” and 499 other rejected license plates

    When it comes to vanity license plates, the State of Ohio is not amused.

    It recently released a list of more than 500 rejected license plates and boy are there some doozies.

    When we say doozies, we mean shocked that someone thought they could slip “BIGSEXE” or “IFARTED” under the Bureau of Motor Vehicles’ nose.

    Those are far from the worse plates flatly rejected or reclaimed after a complaint between January 2010 and October.

    Ohio's banned vanity license plates list | www.daytondailynews.com

    The rules are as followed:
    In reviewing requests for special license plates, the BMV shall reject any request that contains words, combinations and/or phrases (in any language or when read either frontward or backward) that
    1. Are Profane (that is swearwords or expletives)
    2. Obscene
    3. Sexually explicit or
    4. Scatological (having to do with fecal excrement);
    5. Are so offensive that they could reasonably be expected to provoke a violent response from viewers without additional comment; or
    6. Advocate immediate lawlessness, or
    7. Advocate lawless activities.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-09-2019 @ 04:29 AM
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    I don't see any that would offend anyone's religious or political sensibilities, and those are the two issues that cause the most problems in the US.
    ...even in the 21st century, which would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. And the reason the offense is still caused is the very fact that all who disagree with the idiocy are cowed into 'respectful' silence.

    Which, thankfully, is now coming to an end.















    Offense from a number plate? Road rage? Safety? Bullshit.

  12. #12
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,759
    No. The argument is not (should not be) about 8THEIST versus "porn". It is about atheist versus believer.

    From a quick search, you can have christian imagry on US plates, and christian mesages (e.g. "HESRZN").

    Double standard.

  13. #13
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    Bullshit? Are you kidding?

    Especially in the south, there are a load of religious nuts- people take offense from just about anything if they feel their religion is somehow being offended. Politics as well- there have been plenty of incidents set off by bumper stickers, especially vandalism.

    I see the free speech aspect, but I also see the reality aspect- they have to look at plates with an, 'Is this going to set off any nuts?' approach- Americans are often too touchy about certain things, and the DMV had to proceed accordingly, even if it seems ridiculous.

    Billboards aren't held to the same standard, apparently, and they're most likely covered by free speech laws in a way that government-issued license plates aren't.

    I don't disagree with the atheist vs believer argument, but, again, I understand the potential ramifications- it's not about being fair- there's absolutely a double-standard, and there's a reason for that- very religious people tend to be a bit nuts, where atheists tend to be more reasonable.

  14. #14
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,759
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    and there's a reason for that- very religious people tend to be a bit nuts, where atheists tend to be more reasonable.
    LOL. Indeed.

  15. #15
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    I remember driving through Alabama when I was a kid, in my car with NY plates- I pulled over at a roadside diner to grab a bite, and a guy standing outside asked me if I was a Jew- I was taken aback, and said that I was Catholic- he said he thought everybody from NY was a Jew, and that they didn't like Catholics much around there either (this was in the buckle of the Bible Belt)- it was out of a movie- I swear I could hear banjos...

    I was like, 'O-o-o-o-k-a-a-a-y- I'll be on my way'- I suddenly had the urge to be a few hundred miles north. It remains to this day one of my most vivid memories of the south- when I got to the University of Alabama (where I was visiting a friend) he just laughed and said that goes on all the time- where you go to church was a defining part of people's lives there.

    If I had a plate like the one requested in the OP, I probably would have gotten my ass kicked (if Cletus could have puzzled it out).

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-09-2019 @ 04:29 AM
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    Bullshit? Are you kidding?

    Especially in the south, there are a load of religious nuts- people take offense from just about anything if they feel their religion is somehow being offended. Politics as well- there have been plenty of incidents set off by bumper stickers, especially vandalism.

    I see the free speech aspect, but I also see the reality aspect- they have to look at plates with an, 'Is this going to set off any nuts?' approach- Americans are often too touchy about certain things, and the DMV had to proceed accordingly, even if it seems ridiculous.

    Billboards aren't held to the same standard, apparently, and they're most likely covered by free speech laws in a way that government-issued license plates aren't.

    I don't disagree with the atheist vs believer argument, but, again, I understand the potential ramifications- it's not about being fair- there's absolutely a double-standard, and there's a reason for that- very religious people tend to be a bit nuts, where atheists tend to be more reasonable.

    We (the dumb-fuk human race) landed on the moon 50 years ago. We have a probe entering interstellar space. We have virtually instantaneous world-wide communication, advanced technology, medicine, science, the list is endless. This IS the 21st century, yet billions still follow bronze-age myths.

    If you say you believe in Thor, Zeus or Odin you'd be laughed out of the park, as you should. Few believe in them still, if any, because the bullshit has been called openly.

    The reason the Christians, Muslims, Jews and others are still going strong is the respect and silence. As long as that continues there will be plenty charlatans taking advantage of the gullible masses. The silence HAS to stop, despite the risks, else these once-isolated groups can now get at each others' throats easily and with terrible weapons. Suicide bombings, Israeli-Palestinian and Nigerian/Boko Haram shenanigans are but a warm-up act.

    There is no more space for respect and silence. The beliefs are idiotic and has to be called out publicly where those that are caught up in their web can see and hear the message.


    It is ridiculous to respect idiotic beliefs. If I told you Elvis speaks to me would you employ me? Jesus? Mohammed? God? Allah? Jaweh?


    At least Elvis was a real person.

    Stop cowering and groveling to idiotic beliefs. This is a fight that HAS to be fought. The alternative is disaster on a scale the world has never seen. That's the reality aspect.



    It's not going to go away by itself. Kids are indoctrinated from birth, something that is extremely difficult to overcome. The religions rely on that, as well as -very importantly - the respect and silence.
    Last edited by FlyFree; 19-04-2014 at 09:35 PM.

  17. #17
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    USA is the subliminal:
    Christianity=Nationalism=Militarism

    All considered one and the same.
    Dangerous.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,952
    Religion plays into the hands of the globalists, and while useful idiots will happily accept fairy tails and myths, these globalists will continue to play havoc on society globally, making billions in the process.

  19. #19
    Member
    neemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    Driving isn't a right, and license plates have always been subject to approval- you can't get approved for 'FUCK YOU' or 'EAT SHIT' either.
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    No, though they all would be protected under free speech, but personalized license plates aren't 'free speech'- you can't get many plates that are less extreme than my examples.
    No, 'FUCK YOU' and "EAT SHIT' has nothing to do with free speech and isn't protected at all.


    In the United States freedom of expression is protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. There are several common law exceptions including obscenity,....

  20. #20
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    13-08-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    Cum guzzler? Ass orgy? Cum for you? People drive around with that on their cars? Fucking hell. What a culture.

  21. #21
    Member
    neemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    905
    Yeah, but '8theist' can't be allowed because it's offensive.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    01-09-2019 @ 06:11 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,950
    Ever watched that Top Gear programme where they drive into the South with old cars they have graffitied with slogans.
    They where chased by nutters with guns.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 08:12 PM
    Posts
    36,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    discriminating against those without faith.
    Pretty broad statement, but I think i know what she means...

    "You can only apprehend the Infinite by a faculty that is superior to reason." - Plotinus

  24. #24
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,632
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
    Bullshit? Are you kidding?

    Especially in the south, there are a load of religious nuts- people take offense from just about anything if they feel their religion is somehow being offended. Politics as well- there have been plenty of incidents set off by bumper stickers, especially vandalism.

    I see the free speech aspect, but I also see the reality aspect- they have to look at plates with an, 'Is this going to set off any nuts?' approach- Americans are often too touchy about certain things, and the DMV had to proceed accordingly, even if it seems ridiculous.

    Billboards aren't held to the same standard, apparently, and they're most likely covered by free speech laws in a way that government-issued license plates aren't.

    I don't disagree with the atheist vs believer argument, but, again, I understand the potential ramifications- it's not about being fair- there's absolutely a double-standard, and there's a reason for that- very religious people tend to be a bit nuts, where atheists tend to be more reasonable.

    We (the dumb-fuk human race) landed on the moon 50 years ago. We have a probe entering interstellar space. We have virtually instantaneous world-wide communication, advanced technology, medicine, science, the list is endless. This IS the 21st century, yet billions still follow bronze-age myths.

    If you say you believe in Thor, Zeus or Odin you'd be laughed out of the park, as you should. Few believe in them still, if any, because the bullshit has been called openly.

    The reason the Christians, Muslims, Jews and others are still going strong is the respect and silence. As long as that continues there will be plenty charlatans taking advantage of the gullible masses. The silence HAS to stop, despite the risks, else these once-isolated groups can now get at each others' throats easily and with terrible weapons. Suicide bombings, Israeli-Palestinian and Nigerian/Boko Haram shenanigans are but a warm-up act.

    There is no more space for respect and silence. The beliefs are idiotic and has to be called out publicly where those that are caught up in their web can see and hear the message.


    It is ridiculous to respect idiotic beliefs. If I told you Elvis speaks to me would you employ me? Jesus? Mohammed? God? Allah? Jaweh?


    At least Elvis was a real person.

    Stop cowering and groveling to idiotic beliefs. This is a fight that HAS to be fought. The alternative is disaster on a scale the world has never seen. That's the reality aspect.



    It's not going to go away by itself. Kids are indoctrinated from birth, something that is extremely difficult to overcome. The religions rely on that, as well as -very importantly - the respect and silence.
    Basically, you've justified the DMV's stand with your rant- you're obviously upset by religion in general and have chosen to express that here- the DMV staff know that there are people who fervently believe completely the opposite, and might act out against someone who says or expresses otherwise beyond the relatively benign way of posting on a forum, so they have declined to allow someone to express their potentially contentious view on a personalized plate (there are plenty of other places to do it that aren't as regulated).

    While I basically agree with you in principle, I also agree with the actions of the DMV as they based their decision in reality.
    Last edited by FailSafe; 20-04-2014 at 05:54 AM.

  25. #25
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    I remember "4NIC8" being rejected a long time ago. Once saw a plate with "MANILOW" on it, how come that isn't offensive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •