Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    29-06-2019 @ 04:05 PM
    Posts
    833

    Nigel Farage rejects expenses allegations

    claims erroneous, I bet they are the little weasel.


    Nigel Farage: 'Expenses Claims Are Erroneous'


    The UKIP leader says he hasn't blown his 3,850 monthly EU allowance on "vintage wine" as he hits back over expenses claims.

    Nigel Farage has hit back over EU expenses claims saying as an MEP he can spend his taxpayer-funded allowances as he likes.
    The UKIP leader is facing an investigation over how he uses 15,500 of yearly allowances he receives from the European Union, according to The Times newspaper.
    The money was used to run his constituency office in Lyminster, West Sussex, according to UKIP records, however, he pays no rent as the property was gifted to him by party supporters.
    Speaking to Sky News he said The Times' claims were "erroneous", adding that under EU rules he did not have to account for how he used the 60,000 of allowances he had received since 2009.
    He said like all MEPs he was given a general allowance of 3,580 a month to spend "as I see fit" and he did not have to provide receipts.
    Mr Farage accused the newspaper of "conflating" his EU allowances with the row over expenses claimed by MPs at Westminster, which he said was an entirely different matter.
    He said: "I haven't bought a house or vintage wine."
    Farage: 'I haven't bought vintage wine' Mr Farage told Dermot Murnaghan: "They are not expenses. We don't actually claim for anything. I have not claimed for an office. I have not claimed this figure of 15,000.
    "The Times, who are the pro-establishment newspaper have deliberately tried to conflate the expenses row at Westminster, where people have been using taxpayers' money to buy houses and make large capital gains with the way the system works in the EU.
    "I'm not defending the system, I want it to end but I get given, as does every other British MEP, 3,850, every month to spend in the UK and in my constituency as I see fit."
    Mr Farage said there was a list of "expenses" and he could spend the money on newspapers, on books, hotel rooms and restaurants.
    He added: "We do not have to provide any receipts, any explanation for how that money is spent so what The Times has written is wholly erroneous."
    The Times quoted former office manager David Samuel-Camps as saying it only cost 3,000 a year to run Mr Farage's office, rather than the 1,000 the UKIP leader claims.
    However, Mr Farage pointed out Mr Samuel-Camps had written to the newspaper complaining that he had been misquoted and stating it cost 8,400 a year to run the office - closer to Mr Farage's figure.
    When asked what the allowance had been spent on, Mr Farage claimed the annual electricity bill was 3,000 - the average bill for a family home is only 1,000 - and said this was because of the machines.
    He also said the money was spent on burglar alarms, insurance and dealing with his increasingly heavy postbag.
    In a robust response to the newspaper story on the UKIP website the party claimed the story was politically motivated because of its success in polls over the weekend.

    Nigel Farage: 'Expenses Claims Are Erroneous'
    Last edited by Ronin; 16-04-2014 at 04:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    21-07-2016 @ 04:28 AM
    Posts
    2,260
    They are all at it mate, tell me a clean politician and then we can believe in them.

  3. #3
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Ronin : Just out of curiosity.....do you agree with his Politics ?

  4. #4
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by dobella View Post
    They are all at it .

    He did say that the claims are erranous

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    29-06-2019 @ 04:05 PM
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Ronin : Just out of curiosity.....do you agree with his Politics ?

    Do I? Bollocks! The man is more right-wing than David Cameron!

  6. #6
    R.I.P
    Mr Lick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Mountain view
    Posts
    40,028
    Yes, handing unaccountable allowances to MEP's and providing free education for their children funded by the taxpayer would seem unacceptable in an austerity driven world.

    Since 2009 Farage has been one of a few to have highlighted the financial waste encompassing the EU and sees it for what it is. The establishment boys, in this case 'The Times' newspaper, have been gunning for him since his popularity with the public had grown considerably and is now viewed as a real threat to the 2 party state.


    Having spent a month attending invites from a local mayor a couple of years back in the UK, the amount of taxpayers money being spent on self-congratulatory parties appeared quite staggering. Caterers were and probably still are having a field day. Notably, this was during a period when public sector workers were being subjected to a 3 year pay freeze.

  7. #7
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Nigel is just being your typical English scammer, like you often find all over SE Asia

    basically a fraud, not even believing in his own crap

  8. #8
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Ronin : Just out of curiosity.....do you agree with his Politics ?

    Do I? Bollocks! The man is more right-wing than David Cameron!
    So you have found him guilty because you dont like his Politics .
    You have disregarded any facts and whether the allegations are true or not and decided that hes guilty because you dont like the way he thinks .
    This is an example of the dumbing down of society and the way that the populations thinking can be controlled .

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    So you have found him guilty because you dont like his Politics . You have disregarded any facts and whether the allegations are true or not and decided that hes guilty because you dont like the way he thinks . This is an example of the dumbing down of society and the way that the populations thinking can be controlled .
    And you have just done exactly the same to Ronin. He is still entitled to his opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick
    his popularity with the public had grown considerably and is now viewed as a real threat to the 2 party state.
    Nail - head. I may not agree with all he says but his has shaken the establishment up. The last thing they want is a hung parliament upsetting their own gravy train. At least he has made them get off their arses and consider doing something for the man on the street, instead of pointless legislation on foxhunting and gay marriage.
    Heart of Gold and a Knob of butter.

  10. #10
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    Farage has accepted money to cover expenses which he hasn't made. Farage's excuse seems to be that as he doesn't have to provide evidence of his expenses he hasn't done anything wrong - it seems that as an MEP, he gets given the money for expenses regardless of whether he actually needs it or not. It may be true that he's not guilty of fraud but he's certainly guilty of pretty barefaced hypocrisy; his electoral schtick amounts to not much more than Brussels-wastes-your-money and here he is, trousering significant amounts of money handed over by Brussels. It may, of course, also be true that The Times are out to get him on behalf of the Tories and good luck to them. He's a repulsive little prick and the sooner he is expunged from British public life, the better.

  11. #11
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    his opinion is based on his Political alliances, rather than facts
    There is absolutely no way that can know that from this thread. Dumbing down, indeed.

  12. #12
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    You claim that I misunderstood your post , you then go on to reaffirm your point .
    Yes, my point being rather different from what you seem to imagine it to be.

    There is no smear campaign and there is exactly zero chance of Farage having to step down from being an MEP. Farage accepted money from the EU which he didn't need. That's not a false claim. And since he campaigns on the evils of EU corruption, it's not unreasonable to report this fact. Would the Times run the same story on a Tory MEP? Maybe, maybe not, though they very recently called for the Culture Secretary to resign over her expenses so they can probably escape charges of strong bias though obviously there is going to be difference of emphasis in all the nationals - something both entirely normal and, I think, desirable.

  13. #13
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooheekock View Post
    You claim that I misunderstood your post , you then go on to reaffirm your point .
    Yes, my point being rather different from what you seem to imagine it to be.

    There is no smear campaign and there is exactly zero chance of Farage having to step down from being an MEP. Farage accepted money from the EU which he didn't need. That's not a false claim. And since he campaigns on the evils of EU corruption, it's not unreasonable to report this fact. Would the Times run the same story on a Tory MEP? Maybe, maybe not, though they very recently called for the Culture Secretary to resign over her expenses so they can probably escape charges of strong bias though obviously there is going to be difference of emphasis in all the nationals - something both entirely normal and, I think, desirable.
    Farange doesnt seem to have done anything wrong though .
    He isnt required to submit any expenses claims and I dont see where the story is here .
    He has stated that he needed the money for various things , he hasnt been found guilty of any wrong doing, he doesnt seem to have even been accused of any wrong doing .
    Why report on Farange and not any other MEP?
    Seems like a clear cut smear campaign to me and most peop,e are going along with it without bothering to find out whether there is any truth in the allegations on the sole premises that they dont like his Political stance .

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    21-07-2016 @ 04:28 AM
    Posts
    2,260
    Here is one politician that does not need to read from notes, I'm just worried that with many British voting for him then that sly useless twat Milliband will get elected.
    God help us then.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by dobella
    If I remember correctly you are a Cardiff lad, thought it would turn around but what went wrong there, I love Ollie and sorry to cross thread here folks I wont be too long on this.
    Not quite. IIRC I posted that I thought they would survive, (provided Malky stayed in charge).

    I am actually a Blades fan.

  16. #16
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    They are legitimate expenses though, not waste or fraud .

  17. #17
    R.I.P
    Mr Lick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Mountain view
    Posts
    40,028
    I think these are set allowances, whether or not taxpayers cash is used, the 15,000 allowance is statutory, therefore not subject to scrutiny.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooheekock
    He's a repulsive little prick and the sooner he is expunged from British public life, the better.
    Tony Blair springs to mind along with his ugly bitch wife and kids.

  19. #19
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    "
    The Times quoted former office manager David Samuel-Camps as saying it only cost 3,000 a year to run Mr Farage's office, rather than the 1,000 the UKIP leader claims.
    However, Mr Farage pointed out Mr Samuel-Camps had written to the newspaper complaining that he had been misquoted and stating it cost 8,400 a year to run the office - closer to Mr Farage's figure.
    '
    Was that a deliberate ploy by the Times to smear Farang ?
    Was it a genuine mistake ?
    Without that misinformation above, the story would have no credibility what so ever.
    Did the Times deliberately quote the wrong figure ?

  20. #20
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    I think these are set allowances, whether or not taxpayers cash is used, the 15,000 allowance is statutory, therefore not subject to scrutiny.
    Sounds like Farage regards the money as a kind of bonus which he can trouser without any explanation. This seems a tad hypocritical given his criticism of corruption in the EU.

    The man reminds me of a bookie.

  21. #21
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post

    Sounds like Farage regards the money as a kind of bonus which he can trouser without any explanation. .
    Well, that is what it is .

  22. #22
    R.I.P
    Mr Lick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Mountain view
    Posts
    40,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    I think these are set allowances, whether or not taxpayers cash is used, the 15,000 allowance is statutory, therefore not subject to scrutiny.
    Sounds like Farage regards the money as a kind of bonus which he can trouser without any explanation. This seems a tad hypocritical given his criticism of corruption in the EU.

    The man reminds me of a bookie.

    If he spends some of his time and allowance on campaigning against EU corruption then it might seem money well spent. Other MEP's just take the cash and say nowt.

  23. #23
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    I think these are set allowances, whether or not taxpayers cash is used, the 15,000 allowance is statutory, therefore not subject to scrutiny.
    Sounds like Farage regards the money as a kind of bonus which he can trouser without any explanation. This seems a tad hypocritical given his criticism of corruption in the EU.

    The man reminds me of a bookie.

    If he spends some of his time and allowance on campaigning against EU corruption then it might seem money well spent. Other MEP's just take the cash and say nowt.
    Odd argument, you appear to be posting that's it's ok for Farage to be corrupt because he campaigns against corruption.

    If he had any sense he'd return the money on principal. I'm sure one of his donors would quietly make sure he wasn't out of pocket.

  24. #24
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    I think these are set allowances, whether or not taxpayers cash is used, the 15,000 allowance is statutory, therefore not subject to scrutiny.
    Sounds like Farage regards the money as a kind of bonus which he can trouser without any explanation. This seems a tad hypocritical given his criticism of corruption in the EU.

    The man reminds me of a bookie.

    If he spends some of his time and allowance on campaigning against EU corruption then it might seem money well spent. Other MEP's just take the cash and say nowt.
    Odd argument, you appear to be posting that's it's ok for Farage to be corrupt because he campaigns against corruption.

    If he had any sense he'd return the money on principal. I'm sure one of his donors would quietly make sure he wasn't out of pocket.
    Do you know what corruption means ?
    Corruption ISNT taking something that you are legally entitled to take .

  25. #25
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    I think these are set allowances, whether or not taxpayers cash is used, the 15,000 allowance is statutory, therefore not subject to scrutiny.
    Sounds like Farage regards the money as a kind of bonus which he can trouser without any explanation. This seems a tad hypocritical given his criticism of corruption in the EU.

    The man reminds me of a bookie.

    If he spends some of his time and allowance on campaigning against EU corruption then it might seem money well spent. Other MEP's just take the cash and say nowt.
    Odd argument, you appear to be posting that's it's ok for Farage to be corrupt because he campaigns against corruption.

    If he had any sense he'd return the money on principal. I'm sure one of his donors would quietly make sure he wasn't out of pocket.
    Do you know what corruption means ?
    Corruption ISNT taking something that you are legally entitled to take .
    You're missing the point as usual Fluke. Farage is campaigning against the wastage in the EU but he has no problem putting his nose in the trough and spending taxpayers money with out accounting for it. As he's campaigning against it being a legal entitlement, as you put it, it's total hyprocracy on Moseley/Farage''s part.

    How about leading by example as in refusing to take the allowance?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •