Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

    Brewer praised for $6 Starbucks smack-down

    Brewer praised for $6 Starbucks smack-down
    January 2, 2014


    The $6 cheque brewer Jeff Briton sent to Starbucks in a sarcastic response to a cease and desist letter that has gone viral.

    (Facebook)

    A small pub owner in the US has been “cheersed” around the world for his sarcastic response to Starbucks when the oversensitive coffee giant demanded he change the name of one of his beers.

    Missouri brewer Jeff Briton, owner of the Exit 6 Pub and Brewery, received a cease and desist letter from Starbucks claiming three people had posted on an online drinking website about a coffee-blend beer that they referred to as "Frappicino".

    Starbucks argued the name was dangerously close to its trademarked beverage Frappucino and demanded Mr Briton change the beer's name so customers would not be confused.

    His hilarious response has gone viral.

    In a letter responding to Starbucks, Mr Briton first pointed out the beer was never named Frappicino but rather that was the descriptor chosen by only the three customers who were commenting on a vanilla crème and chocolate coffee ale brew they had bought at the pub.

    Mr Briton, who posted a copy of his response on Facebook, promised to refer to the beer only as "The F Word" to avoid the "risk of further lawsuits" and included a cheque for $6 that he would have made in profit from the three customers in question.

    "Please apply the enclosed $6.00 towards the legal fees Ms Owen Kramer received for her efforts in nabbing Exit 6 in our dastardly F Word naming practices," he wrote.

    "We realize Mr Bucks probably paid her more than Exit 6 made last year.
    "We just want to help a business like Starbucks. Us small business owners need to stick together."

    Mr Briton said he would promptly also "stop production of our 'Starbuck-McDonalds-Coca Cola-Marlboro Honey Lager' for fear of further repercussions".

    He poked fun at the legal notice, saying he "never thought that our beer drinking customers would have thought that the alcoholic beverage coming out of the tap would have actually been coffee from one of the many, many, many stores located a few blocks away".

    "I guess that with there being a Starbucks on every corner of every block in every city that some people may think they could get a Starbucks at a local bar. So that was our mistake," he said.

    After posting the Starbucks letter and his response on his Facebook page he's received thousands of likes, hundreds of shares and coverage by national media outlets, being praised for his funny smack-down of the pedantic coffee giant.

    A spokeswoman for Starbucks told CNN the cease and desist letter was "respectful" and "just like many businesses, trademark law requires all companies, including Starbucks, to consistently protect its brand".

    She said the company would not be cashing Mr Briton's cheque.

    news.ninemsn.com.au

  2. #2
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by news.ninemsn.com.au

    His hilarious response has gone viral.


    http://i.imgur.com/pSVvtP9.jpg

  3. #3
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Good on the guy.

    Starbucks - overpriced shit.

    Funny that the twats think it's ok for them to combine the two words Frappe and Cappuccino, but what he's done is wrong.

    Bullying corporate fuckwits.

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnastier View Post
    Good on the guy.

    Starbucks - overpriced shit.

    Funny that the twats think it's ok for them to combine the two words Frappe and Cappuccino, but what he's done is wrong.

    Bullying corporate fuckwits.

    There is an interesting documentary [and rather critical] of Starbucks and their expanding empire.....all the while, the well known founder and CEO claiming that his beloved mega-monster is nothing like a corporation or said corporate mentality.

    I'm sure that this documentary [almost in news form] can be found in full on youtube or like video archive sites.

  6. #6
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    FWIW and before the obvious canditates start , I foked up placing this in Thai / Asia news and have requested the mods to move it to World news .

    Edit :

    which they have now done , thank-you .
    Last edited by Mid; 03-01-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: post move

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin
    There is an interesting documentary [and rather critical] of Starbucks and their expanding empire.....all the while, the well known founder and CEO claiming that his beloved mega-monster is nothing like a corporation or said corporate mentality. I'm sure that this documentary [almost in news form] can be found in full on youtube or like video archive sites.
    Is this what you mean?

  8. #8
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    So, Starbucks has people perusing the web and social media looking for these types of things?

    Must be....

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    ^
    Wake up and smell the coffee

  10. #10
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnastier View Post
    ^
    Wake up and smell the coffee
    I'll take that as a "yes."

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by barbaro View Post
    So, Starbucks has people perusing the web and social media looking for these types of things?

    Must be....
    Yes, I had a similar threat from intel corp as my business at the time in the UK was called intelli-homes. I made a few calls to various business trading with similar names such as intelli security who had all received the same threat. It appeared i was the first on their hit list. Their legal department had the nerve to tell that despite the fact i was doing nothing wrong, they would drag the legal case out so long that it would bankrupt me win or loose!
    You bullied, you laughed, you lied, you lost!

  12. #12
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    ^ Jesus.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,725
    I am from Seattle and can say that Starbucks and its CEO especially are not well liked here. He caused the city to lose its NBA team the Super Sonics. Punk ass.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    FWIW and before the obvious canditates start , I foked up placing this in Thai / Asia news and have requested the mods to move it to World news .

    Edit :

    which they have now done , thank-you .
    Obvious candidates?? You're the only tosser that goes on about which bladdy subforum new threads get placed in....

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-09-2019 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones View Post

    Yes, I had a similar threat from intel corp as my business at the time in the UK was called intelli-homes. I made a few calls to various business trading with similar names such as intelli security who had all received the same threat. It appeared i was the first on their hit list. Their legal department had the nerve to tell that despite the fact i was doing nothing wrong, they would drag the legal case out so long that it would bankrupt me win or loose!
    Must have been an Intel Inside job!

    These corporate types are insufferable they all seem to be US based. Thinking they can somehow register a word that has been in the public domain for 100's of years.

    PS They are not doing a very good job just a cursory search came up with lots of "intelli" companies especially in Brazil.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    khmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    12-08-2019 @ 07:55 AM
    Location
    Discombobulated
    Posts
    2,462
    Quote Originally Posted by barbaro View Post
    So, Starbucks has people perusing the web and social media looking for these types of things?

    Must be....
    Oi, Starbucks lawyers:

    Fuck you and your shitty frothy overpriced fag-uccino! Your "coffee" tastes like anal seepage, you should be suing yourselves under trades descriptions for labelling such dross as coffee.

    You don't sell coffee, you sell limp-wristed, posing, hipster, pretend-writer faggot fuel.

    Please cease and desist peddling your filth to the world for extortionate mark ups and cluttering our streets with your identikit poofter emporiums, you tax avoiding bland cock dribbles.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by khmen
    Oi, Starbucks lawyers: Fuck you and your shitty frothy overpriced fag-uccino! Your "coffee" tastes like anal seepage, you should be suing yourselves under trades descriptions for labelling such dross as coffee. You don't sell coffee, you sell limp-wristed, posing, hipster, pretend-writer faggot fuel. Please cease and desist peddling your filth to the world for extortionate mark ups and cluttering our streets with your identikit poofter emporiums, you tax avoiding bland cock dribbles.
    Khmen for Prime Minister

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by khmen
    Your "coffee" tastes like anal seepage
    Err... how do you know that?

  19. #19
    lom
    lom is offline
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    Comments are hilarious : Missouri Bar Owner Mocks Starbucks' Cease-and-Desist Letter - ABC News
    I reckon two of the posters there being Aberlour and DuffyDuck

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    khmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    12-08-2019 @ 07:55 AM
    Location
    Discombobulated
    Posts
    2,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by khmen
    Your "coffee" tastes like anal seepage
    Err... how do you know that?
    You really don't wanna know.

  21. #21
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,539
    Quote Originally Posted by khmen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbaro View Post
    So, Starbucks has people perusing the web and social media looking for these types of things?

    Must be....
    Oi, Starbucks lawyers:

    Fuck you and your shitty frothy overpriced fag-uccino! Your "coffee" tastes like anal seepage, you should be suing yourselves under trades descriptions for labelling such dross as coffee.

    You don't sell coffee, you sell limp-wristed, posing, hipster, pretend-writer faggot fuel.

    Please cease and desist peddling your filth to the world for extortionate mark ups and cluttering our streets with your identikit poofter emporiums, you tax avoiding bland cock dribbles.
    The real problem is not with the seller.
    They're only selling what people are buying.

    And while we're at it, what the fuck is a 'barista'?

    Just call it what it is, guy/girl who makes the coffee.
    "In my professional assessment as an intelligence officer, Trump has a reflexive, defensive, monumentally narcissistic personality, for whom the facts and national interest are irrelevant, and the only thing that counts is whatever gives personal advantage and directs attention to himself."

  22. #22
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    I am from Seattle and can say that Starbucks and its CEO especially are not well liked here. He caused the city to lose its NBA team the Super Sonics. Punk ass.
    I don't like Starbucks coffee. Always tasted bitter and bad to me. And then there are the high prices.

    The CEO Schultz [sic?] seems like a putz as well, being a Zionist advocate.

    As for the Sonics, iirc, Schultz and the other owners had been losing money for 5 years and they kept pushing for a new arena to play with expanded corporate suites, etc. They wanted the taxpayers to pay a portion of the construction costs.

    It was put up for a vote by the city of Seattle (or was it King County?) and lost.

    The team is gone but the name is still held by Seattle. They'll get a team within 5 years, IMO. Not sure I care either way.
    ............

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •