Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,259
    One would think a politely worded letter to Google would get it pixelated out?

  2. #2
    Member
    Morden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    02-07-2014 @ 11:10 AM
    Location
    Don't Remember
    Posts
    907
    Google has agreed to remove the image. Perhaps the OP would do the same. Criticising Google whilst doing the same as them seems rather odd.

  3. #3
    Member
    Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 08:20 AM
    Posts
    537
    No criticism from me. As for the pic, that's life.

  4. #4
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Google moves to remove map image
    17 HOURS AGONOVEMBER 19, 2013 8:54PM
    A US man wants Google Maps to remove an aerial image that shows the body of his 14-year-old son, who was shot and killed in 2009.
    Jose Barrera told a San Francisco television station that he only recently became aware of the image of his son Kevin earlier in the week. He said he wants Google to take down the image out of respect for his son.
    "When I see this image, that's still like that happened yesterday," Barrera told the news station on Sunday.
    "And that brings me back to a lot of memories."
    The image shows what appears to be a body on the ground near a rail line with several other people, presumably investigators, and what looks like a police car nearby. It was visible on Google's website on Monday and the company has said it will remain so for a little more than a week.
    "Since the media first contacted us about the image, we've been looking at different technical solutions," Google Maps Vice President Brian McClendon said in a statement on Monday afternoon.
    "Google has never accelerated the replacement of updated satellite imagery from our maps before, but given the circumstances we wanted to make an exception in this case. We believe we can update this in eight days, and we've spoken to the family to let them know we're working hard on the update."

    Google moves to remove map image | News.com.au

  5. #5
    TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    28,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    As for the pic, that's life.
    it's not really, is it ?

  6. #6
    Member
    Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 08:20 AM
    Posts
    537
    Google sure is taking its time to remove it. Someday these satellites will record everything 24/7. They'll know who the person was who littered in front of your house. Worried wives will be able to check if their husbands are indeed at work when they think they might be screwing around on them. We'll be able to watch (stalk) someone by satellite. You'll be able to check the sea from above to sea if the waves are good for surfing that day. You'll be able to observe the traffic in front of you for jams on a screen in your car. The police won't need helicopters to follow suspects (might be good for L.A.)

    Lots of possibilities for this tech. As bad as this is, this probably gave the family a lot more information about their son's death. It might also have offered potential witnesses.

    https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.95...00142&t=h&z=20

  7. #7
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ Satellites...very small..very expensive.
    Earth...very big...

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Still there.... I just gawped....

  9. #9
    Member
    Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 08:20 AM
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    ^ Satellites...very small..very expensive.
    Earth...very big...
    If the world isn't destroyed by man and overpopulation, I suspect that bright minds like those screwing with the private trips into space and electric cars and such right now will probably figure out a way to do it. Even now we can access pics of Mars and other places in space which are quite amazing. Maybe they won't use satellites in the end. They could just use a moon-based system to do it. Cameras get better and better each year so who knows.

  10. #10
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Google sure is taking its time to remove it. Someday these satellites will record everything 24/7. They'll know who the person was who littered in front of your house. Worried wives will be able to check if their husbands are indeed at work when they think they might be screwing around on them. We'll be able to watch (stalk) someone by satellite. You'll be able to check the sea from above to sea if the waves are good for surfing that day. You'll be able to observe the traffic in front of you for jams on a screen in your car. The police won't need helicopters to follow suspects (might be good for L.A.)

    Lots of possibilities for this tech. As bad as this is, this probably gave the family a lot more information about their son's death. It might also have offered potential witnesses.

    https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.95...00142&t=h&z=20
    There is already technology that does all the above and it is in use , and it really isnt bad at all .
    You post is a throw back to the paranoid about technology 1970's , now the technology has arrived , its hasnt had the effect that the paranoid people thought that it would have

  11. #11
    Member
    Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    26-11-2013 @ 08:20 AM
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Google sure is taking its time to remove it. Someday these satellites will record everything 24/7. They'll know who the person was who littered in front of your house. Worried wives will be able to check if their husbands are indeed at work when they think they might be screwing around on them. We'll be able to watch (stalk) someone by satellite. You'll be able to check the sea from above to sea if the waves are good for surfing that day. You'll be able to observe the traffic in front of you for jams on a screen in your car. The police won't need helicopters to follow suspects (might be good for L.A.)

    Lots of possibilities for this tech. As bad as this is, this probably gave the family a lot more information about their son's death. It might also have offered potential witnesses.

    https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.95...00142&t=h&z=20
    There is already technology that does all the above and it is in use , and it really isnt bad at all .
    You post is a throw back to the paranoid about technology 1970's , now the technology has arrived , its hasnt had the effect that the paranoid people thought that it would have
    Fluke, there's no paranoia in my suggestions of the future. I want the technology. It may be available to some extent but I doubt 24/7 over every inch of the planet. Anyways, you often post when people mention anything related to technology and you always seem to be pushing the your paranoid idea. I think you might be the one worried about technology. Don't believe everyone is worried about tech. It generally has much more upside than downside.

  12. #12
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    I wanna see the pic.

    How did that pic get there? Where is that pics?


  13. #13
    TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    28,514
    Erm, Looper

    Quote Originally Posted by Morden
    Google has agreed to remove the image. Perhaps the OP would do the same. Criticising Google whilst doing the same as them seems rather odd.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    01-09-2019 @ 06:11 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,950
    Thanks Looper. Didnt know that Google maps can get pics that close to earth.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    Maybe decapitated going through a tunnel while train surfing?
    "A US man wants Google Maps to remove an aerial image that shows the body of his 14-year-old son, who was shot and killed in 2009"

    Good deduction Holmes

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •