Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025

    19 Wounded in Mothers Day Parade Shooting

    No deaths reported and many injuries were minor
    Two children among those hurt in the shooting
    Two different kinds of weapons used in shooting, police say
    GUNMEN opened fire on dozens of people marching in a Mother's Day neighbourhood parade in New Orleans, wounding at least 19, including two children, police said.

    Police said that many of the 19 victims were grazed and most of the wounds weren't life-threatening. A news release said the wounded included two 10-year-olds. It also said two people were in surgery. 10 adult men and 7 adult women were also among those hurt.

    "Many of the victims were grazed (some by bullets that ricocheted)," a police statement said.

    "At this point, there are no fatalities, and most of the wounds are not life-threatening."

    Nineteen wounded in shooting at New Orleans Mother's Day parade | thetelegraph.com.au

  2. #2
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,875
    It's gotten to the point that I've almost stopped reading the US news each day. It's just too depressing.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    alwarner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Location
    Location: Location.
    Posts
    5,126
    It defies logic that no one was killed.

  4. #4
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    You're not kidding DK.

    Gun crimes seem to be increasing all over the world.
    Time for stricter gun controls, everywhere.

    Even little old NZ has too many illegal weapons floating around as a result of lax controls.

  5. #5
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,875
    Philippines has been under a total gun ban for the last five months leading up to today's nationwide mid-term elections. Gun deaths this week related to election violence - 64 and climbing by the hour. More guns per capita here than Texas.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    koman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Location
    Issan
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    You're not kidding DK.

    Gun crimes seem to be increasing all over the world.
    Time for stricter gun controls, everywhere.

    Even little old NZ has too many illegal weapons floating around as a result of lax controls.
    The US has actually seen a decline in violent crime, including shootings, over the last several decades.....and Chicago has the highest (or one of the highest) gun crime rates in the country....along with some of the strictest gun controls.

    Even in the case of Chicago you can see that the very high gun crime rate is limited to certain parts of the city and certain parts of the population where "control" is a meaningless word. You can then look at another half dozen or so of the largest cities and see the same pattern.
    I blame the Americans......and Thaksin.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,952
    Obama want's to take guns away, what do you expect!!

    Haven't they ran out of patsies yet?

  8. #8
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Ho Hum another shooting in the USA .

  9. #9
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,631
    Very brief footage of the shooting (not much to see) and some footage of the aftermath (not sure why it's not properly displaying the link, but the URL is correct):


  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    10,682
    Maybe mistaken for Father's Day?


  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:23 PM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    When is the next gun control vote scheduled to happen?

    This is an interesting Quote

    "Immediately after the shots were fired, our officers saw three people running away on Frenchmen toward Claiborne."
    So they use Frenchmen as horses these day? Or were the Frenchies already waving white flag and on the retreat so these people caught a ride on them?

  12. #12
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe

    Very brief footage of the shooting (not much to see) and some footage of the aftermath (not sure why it's not properly displaying the link, but the URL is correct):



  13. #13
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    When is the next gun control vote scheduled to happen?
    Is there one ?

  14. #14
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    You're not kidding DK.

    Gun crimes seem to be increasing all over the world.
    Time for stricter gun controls, everywhere.

    Even little old NZ has too many illegal weapons floating around as a result of lax controls.
    The US has actually seen a decline in violent crime, including shootings, over the last several decades.....and Chicago has the highest (or one of the highest) gun crime rates in the country....along with some of the strictest gun controls.

    Even in the case of Chicago you can see that the very high gun crime rate is limited to certain parts of the city and certain parts of the population where "control" is a meaningless word. You can then look at another half dozen or so of the largest cities and see the same pattern.
    I notice that most of the gun crimes in USA are concentrated brodly in three main areas, rge Western states, N.Eastern states and a band stretching up Central N America with the rest of the country largely free from siuch crime.

    Mine, as well as the majority perception is that gu crime is up, where as you've correctly pointed out Koman, it's gone down.

    So is it just media hype that's making stories to push an anti gun agenda as some claim?

    One view is that better medical intervention has helped lower death rates from gun crime.

    From another report;
    “More people are being shot in America, but fewer people are dying,” Erika Soto Lamb, the communications director for Mayors Against Illegal Guns, told FoxNews.com. She cited CDC data which show that, since data has been kept in 2001, the rate of people being assaulted and shot during the assault has risen 25 percent."

    ".... the data since 2001 tell a slightly more complex story: Fewer people are being attacked with guns, but slightly more people are being shot with guns – yet at the same time, fewer people are being killed with guns."

    Hmmmm, food for thought.

  15. #15
    Member
    Chico the Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    07-08-2015 @ 09:49 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Fox News

    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Hmmmm, food for thought.
    Fox News usually only provide food for farts, in my opinion. In fact, you'd probably get more thinking food from Gus The Fox

    Gus The Fox

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    koman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Location
    Issan
    Posts
    4,234
    ^^

    One reason I suspect is the steady increase in the mass shooting sprees in schools and other public places over the last while. These peculiar events obviously gain a great deal of media attention and create lots of backlash against guns in general. It's great fodder for the anti-gun folks and provides great photo-ops for political figures.

    The fact that such a huge percentage of the gun crime is concentrated in a list of half a dozen or so big cities is almost completely ignored by the anti-gun lobby.
    The fact that a huge percentage of those city crimes are committed in ethnic ghettoes by drug gangs and various other street punks is also largely ignored.....officials are scared to even talk openly about such things, because the race card will be pulled out all over the place and whoever tells it like it is, will find themselves fighting to keep their job. Political Correctness keeps real problems from even being discussed let alone solved. The fact that almost 100% of the guns used in these particular circumstances are illegal anyway seems to escape the same anti-gun lobby.

    The NRA takes a pretty extreme position against gun control because the far left anti gun lobby is not just interested in "control".....their end game is abolition. That prospect scare the NRA and countless millions of others shitless...and they will not tolerate it. Not only is it a question of a constitutional right, it is a deeply entrenched part of American culture and history.

    Now, we have seen how well abolition (or prohibition) worked with booze back in the 30ies and how well the anti-drug laws have worked over the last 4 or 5 decades......so how the hell does anybody expect the same kind of approach to work with firearms when there are already 300 million plus guns in circulation....and even if you shut down the entire US gun manufacturing industry, there are at least half a dozen other countries ready and willing to step up production to fill the demand. You would create a gigantic black market and make a lot of gun trafficker's rich along with their drug trafficking buddies.

    The fact that so much attention has been focused on the "problem" of assault rifles is typical. These weapons account for a tiny fraction of firearms crimes but they have been used in several high profile and dastardly events, so they have been getting most of the press, while the biggest culprit of all (the gangbanger with the illegal handgun) fades out of sight while arguments rage over hunting rifles, background checks and all kinds of things.....everything except the really big problem than contributes to most of the gun crime in the US.

  17. #17
    Member
    Chico the Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    07-08-2015 @ 09:49 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post
    Not only is it a question of a constitutional right, it is a deeply entrenched part of American culture and history.
    We have a similar problem in the UK; stanley knives are now a proper part of the Liverpudlian history. You just try and separate a local with "his mate Stan" and see what happens.

    How can a culture rely on having weapon for its identity? What would happen if all the Scots started walking around with broad swords again?

    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post
    while the biggest culprit of all (the gangbanger with the illegal handgun) fades out of sight while arguments rage over hunting rifles, background checks and all kinds of things.
    Legit question here: Where do illegal guns originate from? I have no idea but I kinda assumed they crossed over from the legal gun market.

  18. #18
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    ^^ So, is the problem not in how many guns there are in circulation (around one guns per head of population over about 12 yoa), but how they're used?

    Or is there another underlying reason for such high rates of gun crime reported in USA compared to other countries?

    I assume that the following figures are deaths per anum.


    Crime in South Africa# 1 South Africa: 31,918

    aCrime in Colombia # 2 Colombia: 21,898

    Crime in Thailand # 3 Thailand: 20,032
    Crime in United States # 4 United States: 9,369


    Crime in Philippines# 5 Philippines: 7,708

    Crime in Mexico # 6 Mexico: 2,606

    Crime in Slovakia # 7 Slovakia: 2,356
    Crime in El Salvador # 8 El Salvador: 1,441


    Crime in Zimbabwe# 9 Zimbabwe: 598

    Crime in Peru # 10 Peru: 442

    Crime in Germany # 11 Germany: 269

    Crime in Germany
    Murders with firearms statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Crime


    Quote Originally Posted by Chico the Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Fox News

    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    Hmmmm, food for thought.
    Fox News usually only provide food for farts, in my opinion. In fact, you'd probably get more thinking food from Gus The Fox

    You get pretty much the same view from Reuters as from Fox news;

    (Reuters) - Gun-related homicides and other crimes involving guns have fallen sharply over the last two decades in the United States, but most Americans believe firearms crime is higher now than 20 years ago, according to an analysis and a separate poll released on Tuesday.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94611020130507
    Last edited by ENT; 13-05-2013 at 04:19 PM.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    koman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Location
    Issan
    Posts
    4,234
    ^
    It's a complicated issue and there are no simple pat answers that I know of.....

    It can certainly be argued that the sheer numbers of guns are the problem.....but that does not stand up to much scrutiny when you look at the actual increase in the numbers of guns in circulation against the actual numbers of shooting deaths.

    Inner city America has huge social problems. There is a whole underclass struggling to survive in what must look like pretty hopeless surroundings. There is a culture of violence and anti-social behaviour in those places that continues to pass from one dysfunctional generation to the next. A difficult cycle to break apparently.

    The media is not really that interested in this stuff. It's simply not very newsworthy; but when some sociopathic kid gets hold of a semi-auto rifle and heads out to make a name for himself by wiping out a bunch of school kids or something of the sort .......now that is news.

    There is certainly room for nationwide regulations that make it more difficult for people to acquire high powered weapons and high capacity magazines......but the results of such regulations may be very disappointing. Such measures would do nothing much to reduce the vast array of illegal guns and it does nothing to deal with the motivations that drive so many to own a firearm.....and even less to curb the gang-bangers from killing each other in large numbers.

    The proposed gun control measures were recently shot down in the US Senate......so the resistance is strong and is not likely to go away any time soon. Record numbers of guns were sold in the month or so after the SandyHook massacre.... so there is a widespread feeling that you need a better gun because of all the guns out there.....

  20. #20
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by koman
    The proposed gun control measures were recently shot down in the US Senate......so the resistance is strong and is not likely to go away any time soon. Record numbers of guns were sold in the month or so after the SandyHook massacre.... so there is a widespread feeling that you need a better gun because of all the guns out there.....
    and thus Ho Hum to the massacres to come , and come they will .

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    koman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Location
    Issan
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico the Fox
    Legit question here: Where do illegal guns originate from? I have no idea but I kinda assumed they crossed over from the legal gun market.
    Yes a perfectly ligit question.
    When we talk about illegal guns, we are talking about guns acquired without a permit and outside of the prevailing regulations or local gun controls.....or in some cases a gun that is simply not legal for the civilian population to possess---such as a fully automatic rifle or machine gun.

    A gun purchased by a citizen who has applied for and been granted a permit is legal.....a gun acquired otherwise is illegal. Obviously a great many guns are illegal because the owners would never be able to quality for a legal permit anyway.

    This brings into question the whole business of gun control overall. There is already strict controls in many parts of the US....including Chicago which has a horrible crime rate involving guns.....so we have to wonder just how much of an effect these controls actual have. On the other hand we see relatively low crime rates in places that have much less stringent controls.

    The rate of gun crime...and crime in general seems to have a lot more to do with things like population density, economic circumstances, ethnic mix, and things of that nature rather than the stringency of local firearms regulations.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    koman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Location
    Issan
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by koman
    The proposed gun control measures were recently shot down in the US Senate......so the resistance is strong and is not likely to go away any time soon. Record numbers of guns were sold in the month or so after the SandyHook massacre.... so there is a widespread feeling that you need a better gun because of all the guns out there.....
    and thus Ho Hum to the massacres to come , and come they will .
    Quite likely, unfortunately. However, terrible as they are, your chances of getting killed by lightning strike, tornado or some other weather related event are probably greater than being caught in a shooting rampage. Nice to know there's an "up side" huh?...

  23. #23
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by koman
    Nice to know there's an "up side" huh?...
    Ha Ha , one you may control and the other you may not .

    You work out which is which .

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    Maybe mistaken for Father's Day?

    Well, the incident did take place in new Orleans and there's a heap load of rednecks with guns down there.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:23 PM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    When is the next gun control vote scheduled to happen?
    Is there one ?
    There wasn't one planned for sure. However, it was not supposed to be defeated either! I wonder when the next event will happen....they seem to come in threes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •