Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 341
  1. #1
    Neo
    Neo is offline
    Dislocated Member
    Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Location
    Nebuchadnezzar
    Posts
    10,577

    Bankrupt Britain: another High street giant bites the dust

    HMV expected to enter administration as soon as Tuesday

    Entertainment retailer HMV is expected to go into administration Tuesday morning, following poor business performance and financial losses.

    The closure comes only days after photographic retailer Jessops also entered administration.

    A total of 4,350 jobs are believed to be at risk if the company is unable to find a solution to its crisis.

    The Financial Times reports that HMV had recently requested funding from suppliers, to the tune of 300 million, in order to clear debts and reform its business, but this was refused.

    Last month, the company reported total sales at HMV stores were down 13.5 percent, along with an operating loss of 24.1 million, for the 26-week period that ended 27 October, 2012.

    A "disappointing release schedule" of media in the summer period was highlighted in the financial report.
    HMV operates over 200 stores in the UK, the first of which opened in 1921.

    HMV expected to enter administration as soon as Tuesday (Wired UK)
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

  2. #2
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Shops that sell stuff that everybody can download went broke?
    Who woulda thunk it possible?

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Shops that sell stuff that everybody can download went broke?
    Who woulda thunk it possible?
    Moral conundrum for you N.99 !

    Would you have gone into a branch of HMV to steal the DVDs from the shelves?
    If 'no'.....why would you then download that same material?

  4. #4
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ Applestore, Netflix etc.
    Your argument is invalid.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    Was only thinking last night that I can't recall the last time I bought a DVD or CD. I think it was on a road trip up country and bought something on a whim when the radio was only playing issan tripe.

  6. #6
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Was only thinking last night that I can't recall the last time I bought a DVD or CD. I think it was on a road trip up country and bought something on a whim when the radio was only playing issan tripe.
    Yeah its quite simple cos therein lies the answer ,modern technology has wiped out tens of millions of jobs and will continue to do so ad infinitum its just unstoppable

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    and has done since the industrial revolution

    new jobs appear instead

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    ^ Applestore, Netflix etc.
    Your argument is invalid.
    It's a question, not an argument.

    If you only do legal downloads, then fine. That's a good answer.

    (For the record, I do illegal downloads from Pirate Bay)

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,612
    FFS Piwanoi - are you now just following me around agreeing with me? It's disconcerting.

    Very true though - I would assume it is the same all around the world where these kinds of businesses are closing shop - who the fuck needs the now? Who's going to wait a year for a movie to arrive at blockbusters when it's online in your house today.

  10. #10
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    FFS Piwanoi - are you now just following me around agreeing with me? It's disconcerting.

    Very true though - I would assume it is the same all around the world where these kinds of businesses are closing shop - who the fuck needs the now? Who's going to wait a year for a movie to arrive at blockbusters when it's online in your house today.
    Not true ,If I think someone is talking sense I;ll agree its that simple, and my sincere apologies if I have caused some unease ,but if you recall we was on very common ground on the NUM President Comrade Scargill some while ago !!

  11. #11
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    ^ Applestore, Netflix etc.
    Your argument is invalid.
    It's a question, not an argument.

    If you only do legal downloads, then fine. That's a good answer.

    (For the record, I do illegal downloads from Pirate Bay)
    The question should be, "Would you sneak into universal studios and swipe a copy of their latest movie" The highstreet store is a middleman and by torrenting,I am not stealing from them, but the studio or artist.

    The answer for all of us, is impact and punishment. Or a lack thereof, I can't abide thieves and cutpurses and would gladly kick the everloving shit out of one if I caught one in my house. Yet I have not bought a DVD or CD for the last 10 years. This appears to be dichotomous but as with most transgressions that occur in the absence of punishment, I justify it.
    Last night I watched Charlie Sheen's new movie, A Day in the Life of Charles Swan III. Did he suffer because I didn't pay the ticketprice? No, not really, if his movie is any good pleant of others will pony up and reward his talent. If I had to pay for it I would never see it, or at least I would wait until it is on TV.
    Now, if I had paid for it, fronting up my 20 something dollars at the cinema, and as happened with the torrent, I had walked out after 15 min because it was pure and utter shite, would Charlie have given me back both my money and my time? No? Well fuck him then.

  12. #12
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    and has done since the industrial revolution

    new jobs appear instead
    interesting viewpoint Doc and of course not without it merit,s however new jobs are not being created fast enough are they? , of course the job losses are not solely down to advances in modern science but many are, this link proves that new jobs are not keeping pace with lost ones beyond a reasonable doubt ,as for the abysmal US employment figures personally I do not believe a word they say ,as many put the real figure at 11 or 12%Unemployment In Europe By Country

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    ^^So, therefore, if you did torrent a Charlie Sheen movie that you did enjoy, (but didn't pay for), one could have no moral objection to him breaking into your house and taking something of equivalent value to the cinema ticket.

    eg - several jars of jam, a half finished bottle of sherry, or some new paintbrushes.

  14. #14
    TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    28,499
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    FFS Piwanoi - are you now just following me around agreeing with me? It's disconcerting.

    Very true though - I would assume it is the same all around the world where these kinds of businesses are closing shop - who the fuck needs the now? Who's going to wait a year for a movie to arrive at blockbusters when it's online in your house today.
    Not true ,If I think someone is talking sense I;ll agree its that simple, and my sincere apologies if I have caused some unease ,but if you recall we was on very common ground on the NUM President Comrade Scargill some while ago !!

    Piwanoi, if youre after a wank, make sure Pseudo washes his hands first

  15. #15
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog View Post
    ^^So, therefore, if you did torrent a Charlie Sheen movie that you did enjoy, (but didn't pay for), one could have no moral objection to him breaking into your house and taking something of equivalent value to the cinema ticket.

    eg - several jars of jam, a half finished bottle of sherry, or some new paintbrushes.

    Well, there's the thing see, at the moment there is no punishment for torrenting, can there be a crime with no punishment? There is certainly a punishment for breaking into my house, that being me, kicking the ever loving shit out of you. If there was a chance of ninjas employed by Charlie Sheen kicking in my front door while I was watching the movie, I very likely would not torrent. Though if they had, they would have collapsed in a state of confused boredom after catching the merest glimpse of this epic work of dogshit.

    If his movie was any good and I did infact enjoy it, I would repay him by posting wonderful reviews, thus encouraging others who may be cinema goers to see the movie. I also occasionally, go to see a movie on the bigscreen after sampling the torrent.

    What if there were no laws, and no police. Would you be the same man you are today?

  16. #16
    TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    28,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Shops that sell stuff that everybody can download went broke?
    Who woulda thunk it possible?

    Even without torrents, UKs big 3 supermarkets would have put HMV out of business. They account for over 90 percent of all high street shopping
    Why make a trip to HMV when you can pick up that CD on your weekly shop ?
    They should have learned from Woolworths demise

    They also had big online competition from the likes of Amazon, Play.com and itunes, to name a few

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post

    Well, there's the thing see, at the moment there is no punishment for torrenting, can there be a crime with no punishment?
    Your overall perspective matches mine.

    Yet....

    I've also asked myself - I wouldn't have bought the DVD had the torrent not been free - so is there no foul?

    However, my logic is wafer thin there. Its justifying pilfering on the grounds that one wouldn't have paid for it ! I wouldn't pay for a Ferrari, pink toilet paper, or a gold charm bracelet. But I don't steal them on the reasoning that I wouldn't have paid for them anyway.

    Is there a crime with no punishment. Well, just because something is wrong doesn't mean there has to be a punishment for it.


    In conclusion - I can't find any excuses for my torrenting that are fully justifiable. Any Robin Hood explanation I dream up, I can shoot down immediately. Therefore, it is wrong, but I do it simply because I can.

  18. #18
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    FFS Piwanoi - are you now just following me around agreeing with me? It's disconcerting.

    Very true though - I would assume it is the same all around the world where these kinds of businesses are closing shop - who the fuck needs the now? Who's going to wait a year for a movie to arrive at blockbusters when it's online in your house today.
    Not true ,If I think someone is talking sense I;ll agree its that simple, and my sincere apologies if I have caused some unease ,but if you recall we was on very common ground on the NUM President Comrade Scargill some while ago !!

    Piwanoi, if youre after a wank, make sure Pseudo washes his hands first
    D,If I agree with a few things you write will you do the same as this guy but keep your pants down as I have plenty of KY jelly on hand

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    10,691
    Sad, but the stores will be replaced by funky ethnic coffee shops, Poundlands, or charity stores. Hoorah!

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Posts
    12,894
    Doesn't this torrenting take yonks and is subject to tedious pauses. Buffering is the technical term I believe but can't be sure.

    Watching folk watching movies on their gaypads and the like makes me feel quite sick. People just don't daydream anymore and I am fearful some sort evolutionary constipation will stunt thinking to the point no one will be capable of independent thought.

    Mind you, the Welsh have managed for years without this facility so perhaps it won't be so bad in the long run.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost_Of_The_Moog
    Is there a crime with no punishment. Well, just because something is wrong doesn't mean there has to be a punishment for it.
    How would this same hypothesis work when applied to posters like Socal.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent View Post
    Doesn't this torrenting take yonks and is subject to tedious pauses. Buffering is the technical term I believe but can't be sure.

    Watching folk watching movies on their gaypads and the like makes me feel quite sick. People just don't daydream anymore and I am fearful some sort evolutionary constipation will stunt thinking to the point no one will be capable of independent thought.

    Mind you, the Welsh have managed for years without this facility so perhaps it won't be so bad in the long run.
    I think you'd enjoy it Gent.

    You download programmes. Then come back later, put them on a USB and watch it on the telly. Its not the same thing you watch online - like Youtube, and wait for all that buffering - which takes ages.

    You could spend your retirement watching Panorama, Horizon and old episodes of Jeeves and Wooster. iI's quite addictive !

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Posts
    12,894
    How long does it take? I heard it uses up enormous amounts of gigibyte things and one's computer slows up etc. Or does the programme go straight through to the USB thing? Can I continue to use the computer on other applications if its torrenting to the USB? How does one plug the USB ( by the way is this what they call a flash drive stick?) into the TV. I have a cable for my wife's camera which we can plug into the TV. Will this do?

  24. #24
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Lets try and be serious (for once) ,cos this is a serious subject brought up by Neo(thanks),just how many jobs have been lost and firms closed down because of modern technology is simply inestimably impossible ,just look at the post office for just one instance , only the parcels section is likely to survive ,the village post man and post office? ,well you can forget them forever cos they are an "endangered species" if truth is known ,OK you can take the piss and crack jokes but its no fucking laughing matter when you are thrown on the employment scrap heap at the age of 50 or so through no fault of your own ,with little propects of another job cos you are considered "too old" !! off now cos my soap box is beginning to creak quite dangerously A thousand post offices closed or were put up for sale this year | Mail Online

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Posts
    12,894
    Ahhh, I've just looked at that site, Pirate Bay, and at their suggestion I clicked onto how it works. A notice came up and told me " this proxy cannot be accessed on the server ". I subscribe to True for my provider - presumably they don't like all those bit torrents. Is that the term?

    Frankly, this sums up my experience with computers which is why I can't stand them. There's always, always a reason why something doesn't do what one has been led to believe it will.

    Irritated now. I liked Fry and Laurie's version of Jeeves too.

Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •