Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    BobR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    25-05-2019 @ 12:56 PM
    Posts
    7,760

    FBI to "Monitor" Social Media

    PC Magazine January 27, 2012
    The Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking for a better way to spy on Facebook and Twitter users. That's pretty much the gist of a new FedBizOpps.gov post from the FBI's Strategic Information and Operations Center (SIOC) soliciting proposals for an app capable of sniffing through online media sites and social networks.


    Yep, the land of the free is really not so free any longer. Do they actually think serious Terrorists are going to compare notes on an open website?

  2. #2
    Member
    Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    30,087
    Hasn't been free for a long time, Bob - you know that... The people and their ambitions are the enemy nowadays.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Stupid Nazi kunts

  4. #4
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Posts
    60,447
    Yeah, because GCHQ and the CIA haven't been looking at it for years, have they?


  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Some of those homegrown nutters do compare notes on FB and twitter. So why not?

  6. #6
    M.A.D
    Carrabow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Online
    06-11-2015 @ 06:37 AM
    Location
    Globe trotting
    Posts
    3,856
    Thanks! I have been wrong all this time. I thought it was the NSA

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Yep, the land of the free is really not so free any longer.
    Wake up and smell the coffee. Like this is new news? Anyone who posts on these 'social media' sites like Facebook, MySpace etc has thrown away even more of their privacy. Bad enough to have a SS #...

  9. #9
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,759
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    PC Magazine January 27, 2012
    The Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking for a better way to spy on Facebook and Twitter users. That's pretty much the gist of a new FedBizOpps.gov post from the FBI's Strategic Information and Operations Center (SIOC) soliciting proposals for an app capable of sniffing through online media sites and social networks.

    Yep, the land of the free is really not so free any longer. Do they actually think serious Terrorists are going to compare notes on an open website?

    The thread title is a tad misleading "FBI to "Monitor" Social Media" implies they are going to start - but the snippet says they are looking for a better way, which implies they are already doing it - just not as efficiently as they would want.....

  10. #10
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Posts
    60,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrabow View Post
    Thanks! I have been wrong all this time. I thought it was the NSA
    In the US domestically, yes (well, that's assuming the CIA stay within the law <wink>).

  11. #11
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    15-02-2014 @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    Muzzled for excessive truthiness
    Posts
    922
    'I'm going to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe': British pair arrested in U.S. on terror charges over Twitter jokes

    By Richard Hartley-parkinson

    Last updated at 7:02 PM on 30th January 2012

    British tourists arrested in America on terror charges over Twitter jokes | Mail Online

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    ^
    Glad I don't live there anymore...

  13. #13
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Posts
    60,447
    They're fucked.

    http://teakdoor.com/world-news/10202...se-jungle.html (Do US backwaters still use jungle justice?)

    I liked their list of "sensitive" words though:

    The words deemed as being sensitive by the DHS include:

    • Illegal immigrant
    • Outbreak
    • Drill
    • Strain
    • Virus
    • Recovery
    • Deaths
    • Collapse
    • Human to animal
    • Trojan
    But they should add:


    Stupid American Twat
    Seppo
    Fucking jobsworth

  14. #14
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    15-02-2014 @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    Muzzled for excessive truthiness
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    But they should add:


    Stupid American Twat
    Seppo
    Fucking jobsworth
    "Art Student"

    Uploaded by Cincinnati911Truth on Oct 1, 2010
    Utah residents fear 'Israeli art students' prying into NSA data center

    A local ABC affiliate in Salt Lake City, Utah has caused a stir online with a report suggesting that self-proclaimed Israeli art students, peddling their artwork from door to door, have been asking disturbing questions about plans to build an NSA data center in the area.

    "These salespeople say they're Israeli students," ABC4 reporter Brent Hunsaker explained. "They even produce Israeli passports. They say they're selling their own artwork to raise money to open a gallery. So why would the Israeli art students want to know about the National Security Agency?"

    LINK: Utah residents fear ‘Israeli art students’ prying into NSA data center | The Raw Story

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Posts
    9,457
    Quote Originally Posted by HansuMan View Post
    'I'm going to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe': British pair arrested in U.S. on terror charges over Twitter jokes

    By Richard Hartley-parkinson

    Last updated at 7:02 PM on 30th January 2012

    British tourists arrested in America on terror charges over Twitter jokes | Mail Online
    That's just got to be a wind up.Nobody is that dumb...surely...

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Chuchok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HansuMan View Post
    'I'm going to destroy America and dig up Marilyn Monroe': British pair arrested in U.S. on terror charges over Twitter jokes

    By Richard Hartley-parkinson

    Last updated at 7:02 PM on 30th January 2012

    British tourists arrested in America on terror charges over Twitter jokes | Mail Online
    That's just got to be a wind up.Nobody is that dumb...surely...
    You don't know Janet Reno and the Gestapo Army called DHS...

  17. #17
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post


    You don't know Janet Reno and the Gestapo Army called DHS...
    Huh?


    reno:

    Janet Wood Reno (born July 21, 1938) is a former Attorney General of the United States (1993–2001).[


    DHS

    The Department of Homeland Security was established on November 25, 2002, by the Homeland Security Act of 2002.


    wanna spell it out a bit more for me? By and large I thought reno was democrat, where as DHS is a republican invention?

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post


    You don't know Janet Reno and the Gestapo Army called DHS...
    Huh?


    reno:

    Janet Wood Reno (born July 21, 1938) is a former Attorney General of the United States (1993–2001).[


    DHS

    The Department of Homeland Security was established on November 25, 2002, by the Homeland Security Act of 2002.


    wanna spell it out a bit more for me? By and large I thought reno was democrat, where as DHS is a republican invention?
    Whoops!

    Did a mental association with Janet Reno, Bill Clinton's useless Atty General and the gal who's head of the DHS Janet Napolitano. Another real winner...not!
    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

  19. #19
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    Hasn't been free for a long time, Bob - you know that... The people and their ambitions are the enemy nowadays.
    Facebook and Twitter have always been information gathering sites.
    I never used the stuff. Carrier pigeon, pony express.
    Everything else runs through ECHELON.
    Last edited by ENT; 31-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-04-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    3,867
    My experience is of pictures of what a Thai girl is having for lunch, Thai girl drunk with her making a V sign or letting you know they were at MBK with Noy and Lek two hours ago...



    .....fun post for someone in the FBI....

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Smug Farang Bore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    01-04-2019 @ 08:04 PM
    Posts
    3,867
    Get real, they all been at it for years..

  22. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    I thought they were checking out consumer trends just like Google? Sheit! what's the world coming to Boonmee? Can't even trust the FBI.

  23. #23
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    ECHELON is a name used in global media and in popular culture to describe a signals intelligence (SIGINT) collection and analysis network operated on behalf of the five signatory states to the UK–USA Security Agreement (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States, known as AUSCANNZUKUS or Five Eyes).[1][2] It has also been described as the only software system which controls the download and dissemination of the intercept of commercial satellite trunk communications.[3]

  24. #24
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    EHELON BASES.

    Ground stations

    In 2001 the European Parliamentary (EP) report[5] lists several ground stations as possibly belonging to or participating in the ECHELON network. These include:
    [edit]Likely satellite intercept stations
    The following stations are listed in the EP report (p. 54 ff) as likely to have a role in intercepting transmissions from telecommunications satellites:
    Hong Kong (since closed)
    Australian Defence Satellite Communications Station (Geraldton, Western Australia)
    Menwith Hill (Yorkshire, UK) Map (reportedly the largest Echelon facility)[18]
    Misawa Air Base (Japan)
    GCHQ Bude, formerly known as GCHQ CSO Morwenstow, (Cornwall, UK) Map
    Pine Gap (Northern Territory, Australia - close to Alice Springs) Map
    Sugar Grove (West Virginia, US) Map
    Yakima Training Center (Washington, US) Map
    GCSB Waihopai (New Zealand)
    GCSB Tangimoana (New Zealand)
    CFS Leitrim (Ontario, Canada)


    [edit]Other potentially related stations
    The following stations are listed in the EP report (p. 57 ff) as ones whose roles "cannot be clearly established":

    Ayios Nikolaos (Cyprus - UK)
    Bad Aibling Station (Bad Aibling, Germany - US)
    - relocated to Griesheim in 2004[19]
    Buckley Air Force Base (Aurora, Colorado, US)
    Fort Gordon (Georgia, US)
    Gander (Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada)
    Guam (Pacific Ocean, US)
    Kunia (Hawaii, US)
    Lackland Air Force Base, Medina Annex (San Antonio, Texas, US)
    [edit]

  25. #25
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    ECHELON is a name used in global media and in popular culture to describe a signals intelligence (SIGINT) collection and analysis network operated on behalf of the five signatory states to the UK–USA Security Agreement (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States, known as AUSCANNZUKUS or Five Eyes).[1][2] It has also been described as the only software system which controls the download and dissemination of the intercept of commercial satellite trunk communications.[3]
    Well buggered again. Seems an honest guy just can't escape prying eyes. What will they think of next? Tracking pills in you're cereal?

    There's got to be so much worthless information storage on those master blasters computers that one would think just how much value does all this techno info gathering have?

    I for one am a privacy anal retentive geek. They can have it all if they don't already have it. Lets flood those info gathering centers with lots of "True stories," to clog up the machine! I say riot against the machine!!!NOW!

    The Kardashians must have a dedicated server on this resource ENT? FFS, its crap and we all know its crap. Let the kids have their toys and we can now go back to our lives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •