You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view some discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us
Every visitor to Bangkok should see the magnificent buildings within the Grand Palace compound to get a feeling of the grandeur architectural style. Since the founding of Bangkok as the Nations capital by King Rama I, The Grand Palace has been the major architectural symbol of The Thai Royal Family. In the present time, The Royal Family resides at Chitralada Palace while The Grand Palace is used for ceremonial purposes.The main buildings within the Grand Palace compound were built for King Rama V, who was the first Thai King to travel to Europe.
The Former Palace (affectionately nicknamed Wang Doem) is situated on the banks of the Chao Phraya River at the mouth of Bangkok Yai Canal, next to Wat Arun (The Temple of The Dawn). Sitting on the opposite bank from Bangkok’s Grand Palace, Wang Doem represents a crucial period in the history of the Kingdom of Siam. It was the ruling palace of the City of Thonburi, which was established by King Taksin the Great in 1768, after he recaptured Siam’s independence from Burma.
The Ananda Samakhom Throne Hall is situated on U-Thong Nai Road, or ending of Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue, near Dusit Zoo.
The Ananda Samakhom Throne Hall is the beautiful white building facing the Royal Plaza where the statue of H.M. King Chulalongkorn ( Rama V )stands.
Currently called “Ancient Palace”. The residential palace of every king was located close to the city wall of Ayutthaya. A road passes by from Chantharakasem Palace, which is two kilometers away to the north.
A few miles down the Maenam Chao Phraya from Ayutthaya is the Bang Pa-In Summer Palace. The site was first used by the royal court as a summer retreat in the 17th century. However, the Palace was destroyed with the fall of Kingdom of Ayutthaya and was restored by King Rama IV in the mid-19th century. Most of the buildings that exist today date from the reign of King Rama V, who regularly spent his summers there.
Situated in Bangkok Vimanmek Palace is an outstanding example of 19th century architecture. While admiring the craftsmanship of the carpenters, you will travel back through time to gain a rare insight into the lifestyle of royalty.
Vimanmek Mansion, the principal building in the palace compound, was built for King Rama V on land he named The Dusit Garden located between Padung Krungkasem and Samsen canals.
The completion was celebrated on March 27, 1901 and King RamaV took up residence until 1906.
A former royal residence in Bangkok, the majestic Suan Pakkad Palace was originally built by Major General Prince Chumbhot Bongse Paribatra in the beginning of the 1950's as a collective enclave of ancient and newly built Thai houses. Now almost fifty years later, this sprawling royal mansion compound is a veritable museum that attracts locals and foreigners with its impressive antiques, fine art collections and conventional architectural beauty.
Wangderm Palace also called the Phra Raja Wang Derm, was the official residence of His Majesty King Taskin the Great. The palace was constructed when the capital of Siam (Thailand), was moved from Ayutthaya to Thonburi. This followed after the former capital Ayutthaya was taken back from the Burmese armies in 1767, following their invasion of the capital.
The Jim Thompson House is a museum that celebrates the achievements of the American architect and tradesman of the same name who had a large hand in popularizing Southeast Asian art all over the world. Located in Bangkok, this is a mansion comprising parts of at least six old Thai abodes nearly all of which had been dismantled and brought here from Ayutthaya.
It was commissioned by King Vajiravudh to serve as a holiday villa. The palace went under extensive construction recently. The king drafted the designs for the villa, which consists of sixteen teak buildings raised by concrete pillars and linked together by a series of walkways. Construction took place during 1923–24, and was overseen by Italian architect Ercole Manfredi.
This ruin of the royal residence for summer retreats is on the east bank of the Pasak River is situated in Ayutthaya Province. It was used by various Kings of Ayutthaya as a temporary camp en route a visit to the Lord Buddha's Footprint in Saraburi or a trip to Lopburi.
The Phra Maha Chedi Chai Mongkhon pagoda, located in Hnong Pok district of Roi Et province, was founded by renowned local monk Luang Phu Sri Maha Viro. The magnificent six-storey pagoda was designed by the Fine Arts Department and is located in a 101 rai area of land.
The museum was originally the residence of Chao Dara Rasmi -- one of the favorite consorts of King Chulalongkorn, or King Rama V -- a princess of the northern Lanna Kingdom. The structure of the museum is well-preserved, and constitutes a cross-over between Thai and Western architecture.
Bhubing Palace is located in Chiang Mai, 4 kilometres beyond Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, on Doi Buak Ha. The royal winter palace was built in 1961. The palace is also the royal guesthouse for prominent State visitors from abroad. The lavishly landscaped gardens and grounds are open to the general public everyday from 8.30 a.m.-3.30 p.m. Tickets are sold until 3.30 p.m. The palace is closed when the Royal Family is in residence, January to early March. Call 0 5321 9932, 0 5321 9915
Khum Chao Burirat House is situated in the Chiang Mai Province. A ’Khum’ is the traditional house of Northern Thai royalty. ’Chao Burirat’, refers to one of the highest levels of government office in the Chiang Mai political system during the period from 1774 - 1932.
Phra Chuthathut Ratchathan
Phra Chuthathut Ratchathan is in Sri Racha on Sri Chang Island, it was named after Prince Chuthathut who was born here, it is the only Thai palace located on an island.
Si Chang Palace
Si Chang Palace is in Sri Racha and was built during the reign of King Rama V as a summer palace. The landscaping of the palace compound was carefully planned with residential quarters, lawns, pools, and swamps designed and located in ascending tiers from the beach up to the top of the hill, alternated with frangipani trees (Plumeria acuminata) of different colors.
Klai Kangwon Palace
In Thai, the name of the palace literally means far from worries. This summer palace consisting of 3 Spanish style mansions facing the sea was constructed to the north of Hua Hin under the royal command of King Rama Vll. Today, it is the permanent residence of the King.
The Prathom-Nonthaburi Palace
The Prathom-Nonthaburi Palace Built in a mixture of Thai and European in 1919, this palace has belonged to Prince Juthathuttharadilok, a son of King Chulalongkorn. At the first place, this palace found its location in Bangkok till 1984 then was moved to Nonthaburi. Within the same compound, there is another palace where a gilded hall places a more than 100-year-old harp of Prince Juthathutharadilok. For more details, please call 0 2589 7173.
Is located in Tambon Khamyat, 2.5 kilometers west of Wat Pho Thong on Ayutthaya Pho Thong Road. At present only four walls of the royal residence remain. The 10x20 meters royal residence, made of brick and plaster, stands eminent in a paddy field. The artistic beauty still remains e.g. motifs around the window, front and back balcony, was painted in red soil and covered with wooden floor.
The palace was built in 1665 and 1677, when King Narai the Great decided to make Lop Buri the second capital of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. Although the buildings were designed by with the contributions of French architects, the Khmer influence was still strong. The Palace was a perfect blend of the both worlds, an awesome mixture of Khmer-European styles. After the death of King Narai the Great in 1688, the palace was deserted.
Located in the town of Nakhon Pathom 2 Kms. west of Phra Pathom Chedi. It occupies an area of about 888 Rais (about 355 acres). The palace was constructed by command of King Rama VI in the year 1907 when he was the Crown Prince. Phraya Silprasit supervised the construction which, in the beginning, there were two halls: Phra Thinang Phiman Pathom and Phra Thinang Aphirom Reudi, both halls were granted names on August 27, 1911.
Phra Tamnak Khao Kho is located on Khao Ya Mountain. The palace was constructed for the King on the occasion of his royal visit to observe the projects from his royal initiatives, as well as, to visit the people in Khao Kho district and the ones nearby. It is a concrete building in a semi-circle shape with 15 rooms overall making it different from other places.
This Palace is on Tanyongmat Mountain in Narathiwat Province, Tambon Kaluwo Nua, on the coast near Manao Bay. It is 8 kilometers from town on Highway No. 4084 (Narathiwat-Tak Bai). Situated on an area of 480,000 square meters at the summit of the Tan Yong Mut Mountain, His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej commissioned its construction in 1973 as his royal summer residence.
The birthplace and a resident of King Naresuan the Great, Chan Palace is located in the compound of Phitsanulok Phittayakom School. At present, the site is being excavated and the entire palace will be restored as a future historical attraction.
Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical Park
Phetchaburi's well-known landmark, the locally known as Khao Wang (Palace Hill) is located up on a 92-meter high verdant hill, in the city of Phetchaburi. It was built under the royal command of King Rama IV and in 1860 became his summer palace. The whole compound is comprised of royal halls, palaces, temples and other buildings which were elegantly constructed in a well-balanced Thai, neoclassical Western and Chinese architectural styles.
Built in the reign of King Rama VI, the station is one of Thailand's oldest railway stations. In addition, it is one of the country's most beautiful train stations with unique architecture. Its most striking feature is the splendid Royal Waiting Room constructed in the Thai architectural style.
Phra Ram Ratchaniwet
Originally called "Wang Ban Pun", the European style palace is situated to the south of the town. The construction began in 1909 at the command of King Rama V to be his rainy season palace. A German architect, Mr. Karl Deurring designed the palace, while Admiral HRH Prince Boriphat of Nakhon Sawan and HRH Prince Damrong supervised the construction. The construction was completed in 1916 in the reign of King Rama VI. The place was used to welcome and accommodate state visitors during the reign of King Rama VI.
Mueang Nakhon Reception House
Mueang Nakhon Reception House is situated in Nakhon Si Thammarat, it was built to receive His Majesty the King (Rama IX) and H.R.H. Crown Princess Maha Chakri when they visited the city. It is located in an old fruit orchard of the Thongsamak family who built the house for the royal family on behalf of the city's people. The area is covered with various kinds of native fruit trees and has been decorated with beautiful and shady plants. The house is open to the public daily, except Wednesdays and when the royal family is there.
Phu Phan Ratchaniwet Palace
Phu Phan Ratchaniwet Palace is in Sakon Nakhon on the Phu Phan mountain range on the Sakon Nakhon-Kalasin road, 13 kilometres from the district office. It is the residence of Their Majesties when they visit the Northeast.
Residence of Ok Ya Sena Phimuk
Residence of Ok Ya Sena Phimuk (Yamada Nagamasa) Yamada Nagamasa was a Japanese volunteer soldier who lived in the Ayutthaya period during the reign of King Songtham. For his many contributions to the palace, he was rewarded by being bestowed the title of Ok Ya Sena Phimuk and appointed lord of Nakhon Si Thammarat in 1629. Traces of his home are still visible in the area of the Thai restaurant on Nang Ngam Road (beside the provincial hall).
This interesting place is situated at Tambon Lam Pam in Phatthalung Province, near Wat Wang. Originally a government place and the home of the city lord, the part called Wang Kao (old palace), three adjoining Thai houses, built in the time of Phraya Phatthalung (Noi Chantharotchanawong) when he was the provincial governor.
Wichayen House is located in Lopburi Province on Wichayen Road, 300 metres from Prang Khaek to the north of Phra Narai Ratchaniwet. It served as the residence for the envoys paying a courtesy call on King Narai the Great in Lop Buri. The first group of French ambassadors who arrived in 1685 stayed at this place. Then, a Greek man, called Constantine Phaulkon who came and served as a government official, did many good meritorious deeds and was granted the position of royal minister “Chaophraya Wichayen”. He was also granted a house on the west side of this residence.
Kraison Siharat Hall is commonly known as Phra Thinang Yen or Thale Chup Son Hall, 4 kilometres from the centre of Lopburi town.
This hall is another residence of King Narai the Great. The hall is located on an island surrounded by Thale Chup Son, which was once a large reservoir surrounded with a dam made of stone and cement. King Narai the Great commanded its construction for relaxation. According to the French chronicle, when King Narai the Great hunted elephants in the east mountain, he would return and stay at this hall. The period of its construction was unknown. However, he also welcomed his honourable guests from France at this hall. Therefore, it must have been constructed prior to 1685.
Visitors: 9768, Last Visitor was Guest
at Today - 06:40 AM.
Page Created at 10-03-2011 - 01:11 PM, Last Modified
: 22-09-2012 - 09:56 AM.