You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view some discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us
This annual event was the first type of boat races held in Thailand and as such is one of the oldest. Visitors will see a procession of the Royal Trophy, simulation of the Royal Barge Procession, and races of various traditional long boats. There are many teams taking part in the races. Enjoy viewing the cheer squads of the boat teams, sales of products from the farmers’ group and housewives’ group, as well as sales of OTOP products.
During the boat races, visitors can enjoy a specialty of Phichit, Khao Mao Thot (fried shredded rice), especially from Wat Hat Mun Krabue.
The Khmer ruins is located in Ban Khwao. Built in the 13th Century to serve as a hospital during the reign of King Chaivoraman VII, the laterite ruins was created in Bayon style in rectangular shape. Around 8 meters high and 4 meters wide, the ruins houses two gods made from terra cotta, sitting legs crossed with conchs in hands. The ruin is situated in the embrace of laterite wall and it can be accessed via eastern gopura (gate) only. There is a small building located southeast of the wall. The eastern gate is the only real gate while other three are fake doors. Door frames and lintels made of sandstone. The site is already excavated and renovated by the Department of Fine Art.
Utthayan Mueang Kao Pichit
About 7km from town on the Phichit-Wang Chick road (no. 1068) is Utthayan Mueang Kao Pichit. This park features an ancient town dating back to more than 900 years. Most of the structures discovered were built during the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya periods. The old town is surrounded by city walls and moats. During the Sukhothai period it was called Muang Sa Luang situated on the original bank of the Nan River before the river changes its course, which was the reason the town itself was moved to the new bank in circa 1881 during the reign of king Rama V. In the town centre is Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat with its large bell-shaped Chedi inside of which have been found hundreds of votive tablets. In front of the Chedi are remains of a Vihan. There are scores of small Chedis scattered around the site.
Wat Nakhon Chum
Wat Nakhon Chum is some 9km from town on the Phichit - Wang Chik road. Built in the Sukhothai period about 800 hundred years ago, the temple features an old Ubosot built with brick and mortar with the upper parts in wood. Instead of windows, there are narrow openings for ventilation throughout the walls, similar to temples of the Ayutthaya period. In the Ubosot is a large Sukhothai-style Buddha statue once used as the principal statue in oath-taking ceremony pledging allegiance to the monarch.
Wat Tha Luang
Built on the west bank of the Nan River within the towns limit in 1845, Wat Tha Luang today houses Luang Pho Phet, a Chiang Saen-style Buddhist statue cast in bronze.
Wat Pho Prathap Chang
An old temple in Pho Prathap Chang district is Wat Pho Prathap Chang, located about 27km from town on route #1068 to the south. It was built by Phra Chao Sua, an Ayutthaya king, in 1701 at a site reputed to be his own birth-place. Although abandoned for almost 300 years, the remaining traces are indicative of past splendors, such as a huge Vihan with its walls still standing but now roofless, and small Chedis scattered over the site. The entire site is surrounded by double-walls and huge trees, some of which are over 200 years old.
Wat Bang Khlan
About 12km from the district town of Pho Tha-le, or 60km south of Phichit town, is Wat Bang Khlan. It was the resident temple of the highly revered monk, the late Luang Pho Ngoen. A statue of the Luang Pho Ngoen continues to receive homage from the public. The Chai Bowon Museum inside the temple collects ancient items such as votive tablets, Buddha statues and earthen-wares for display. It is open only on Saturday-Sunday.
Bueng Si Fai
Bueng Si Fai is a large fresh-water lake to the south of town. It is a Fishery Department's facility to breed fresh-water. Along the banks is a delightfully landscaped park suitable for rest and recreation. The scenery is at its most scenic in the early morning and late afternoon. On the other side of the park is an aquarium exhibiting species of native fish and local fishing equipment. An eye-catching sight is a gigantic, crocodile-shaped structure within which is a space which can be used for meetings.
Taphan Hin is the most commercially advanced district of Phichit. Located on the bank of the Nan River some 30km south of the provincial seat on Highway No.113, it can also be reached via rail. The most prominent sight in the district is the 34 metre-tall golden Buddha statue, the Luang Pho To, at Wat Thewaprasat on the Nan river bank opposite the Tapan Hin market. There are also ferry services across the river.
Wat Khao Rup Chang
Wat Khao Rup Chang is located along the Phichit-Taphan Hin road some 15km from town. On the hilltop is an old, Ayutthaya-style Chedi built of bricks but with its top part now broken. There is also a Mondop, the wall murals of which have largely faded away. The Mondop houses a bronze Holy Relic.