You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view some discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us
The building of the Nan National Museum was actually constructed in 1903 and once the residence of a ruler of Nan. It displays exhibitions concerning the town's history and major structures, evolution of arts in different ages, and numerous ancient objects, the most eminent of which is the Black Ivory. It also provides anthropological information on the northern indigenous people including the several minorities residing in Nan. The museum is open Wednesday-Sunday from nine in the morning until four o'clock in the afternoon.
Ban Huai Kon Border Market
Ban Huai Kon Border Market is in an area of the Ban Huai Kon Checkpoint, opposite Mueang Nam Ngoen, Sayaboury province, Lao PDR., 138 kilometres from Mueang Nan district. The market is open on Saturdays from early morning until nearly noon. Offered products are woven fabric in the Nam Lai design, the handicraft of the Thai Lue people, consumer products such as things from forests, Luk Tao or Luk Chit - Arenga pinnata, etc. The Thai and Laotian people are allowed to visit this checkpoint everyday from 8.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.
Thai Lue Village Ban Nong Bua
This village is about 40 kilometres to the north of the town on Highway No. 1080, with an additional 3 kilometres after the left turn into the village in Tha Wang Pha district. The Thai Lue people living at Ban Nong Bua are noted or producing the traditional tribal fabric, an art handed down from generation to generation. It has also been improved in the designs but still retaining the original patterns. The native woven materials have now become a highly popular buy among tourist.Thai Lue Village Ban Nong Bua
It is assumed that the ceramic products from Ban Bo Suak were once popular due to their discoveries in the burial grounds of the people in the past, especially along the mountain ridges from Omkoi district in Chiang Mai to Tak and Kamphaeng Phet provinces. It is assumed that the production of the Bo Suak ceramics was originated and developed during the reign of Phraya Phonlathep Ruechai (1528-1559) which was the glorious period of Nan. The knowledge of kilns and glazed ceramics of Nan was influenced from Lanna such as San Kamphaeng Kilns and Kalong Kilns which are kiln sites near Chiang Mai.
Pak Nai was originally a village by the Nan River. After the construction of the Sirikit Dam, the village became a part of the water reservoir above the dam with characteristics similar to a large lake surrounded by green mountain ranges.
The locals of Pak Nai village are fishermen. There are also restaurants on rafts providing fish from the dam to be tasted such as Pla Kot - catfish, Pla Bu - gobies, Pla Khang – Giant Catfish, Pla Raet - giant gourami, Pla Thapthim - Thai Red Tilapia, etc.
There are 2 important salt production venues in Nan. The first one is in the Wa River watershed area, consisting of 2 large pits, while the second one is at the Nan River watershed area, where there are 5 large pits and many tiny ones. At present, the locals still boil the salt by using the traditional method. A member visits the Ancient Salt Wells.
Sao Din Na Noi or Hom Chom and Khok Suea is located in Chiang Khong sub-district, 60 kilometres from Mueang Nan. From Na Noi district, there is a crossroad. Go along Highway No. 1083 for approximately 6 kilometres. It is a soil formation into strange shapes, similar to the “Phae Mueang Phi” of Phrae Province. From geological evidence, it appears that Sao Din Na Noi occurred from the movement of the earth’s crust during the late Tertiary Period and the natural erosion of water and wind. Geologists assume that it might be aged during 10,000 – 30,000 years and was once the bottom of the sea. There have been discoveries of stone bangles and ancient axes at this place, which are currently preserved at the Nan National Museum. It reflects that this area was once a habitation place of human beings in the Palaeolithic Age.
Thung Chang Sacrificial Monument and Thung Chang Military Museum
Thung Chang Sacrificial Monument and Thung Chang Military Museum were constructed to commemorate the heroes who sacrificed their life for the country. Their Majesties the King and the Queen attended and conducted the opening ceremony, as well as, placed the wreaths at the monument on 10 February, 1976. Therefore, this date of every year is considered the memorial day when wreaths have been presented and a merit making ceremony has been organised for the heroes up until at present. The monument is located on Highway 1080, Nan – Thung Chang Route, at Km. 84. Moreover, the Thung Chang Military Museum displays military weapons for further knowledge and study.
Nan Hotels & Guesthouses
209 Banbaoloung, Tumbon Bo Klua Tai, Amphoe Bo Kluea,
Chompu Phukha Resort
382 Moo 8, Tumbon Pua, Amphoe Pua,
Tel & Fax: 054-791-160
446 Sumonthewarat Road,T.Naiwiang,A.Mueang,
Tel: 054-710-212 054-751-577
Room rates from 800baht per night.
Eurnkgum Guest House Hotel
319 Moo 3 Ban Suan Hom,T.Pha Sing, A.Mueang,
Fa Thanin Hotel
303 Anantaworaritthidet Road,T.Naiwing, A.Mueang,
Juthamas Resort & Hotel
114 Moo 3 Nanthung Chang Road,T.Puea, A.Chiang Klang,
Nan Valley Resort & Hotel
229 Moo 4 Nan-Thung Chang Road,T.Pha Sing, A.Mueang,
Tel: 054-798-400 054-798-220
329 Moo 5, Tumbon Wo Ra Khon, Amphoe Pua,